ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Dallas Cowboys a Real Contender?

JConXtsy

Sooner starter
Aug 2, 2001
Lots of Cowboys lovers and haters on this board.

The NFC general manager says something that hasn't been heard in a long time, maybe since the 1990s, when Jimmy Johnson, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin wrecked the NFL with multiple Super Bowl wins.

"The Cowboys," he says, "are starting to scare me."

Why?

"You could always count on Jerry Jones f--king things up," he says. "That isn't happening any longer. That's a Super Bowl-caliber team now."

Hold on. What?

Another front-office executive, this one in the AFC, says something similar.

"Health is obviously the key for them," the executive says. "If [Tony] Romo can stay healthy, that's an 11-win team."

hi-res-2dfbb48b875b67b368f79b62de4284e6_crop_exact.jpg

Brandon Wade/Associated Press/Associated Press/Associated Press
In the 12 games Tony Romo missed during the 2015 season, the Cowboys went 1-11.

This is real life, correct? Not the Matrix? Not an alternate universe?

It does make sense. The Cowboys, once again, are a legitimate threat. And there's a simple reason: They are making smart decisions. Tons of them. This is something that hasn't happened in many years.

The personnel men I've spoken to over the past few days believe the Cowboys are neatly positioned to win the division and within a year or two—maybe even this season—make a strong Super Bowl run. All of this seems a bit fast for me, but I've continued to hear after the draft how impressed the rest of the league is with the Cowboys and what they're doing.

The main thing these teams see is a different philosophical bent. They point to the growing influence of Stephen Jones—Jerry's son and the Cowboys' chief operating officer, executive vice president and director of player personnel—on the football product.

Stephen Jones' impact on the organization isn't something that's new this offseason. In 2015, he told the Associated Press' Schuyler Dixon:

I think probably the biggest way things have changed is that he probably has more confidence in me. Although he might not want to say that he didn't have confidence in me 20 years ago, because I think he did. I think he listened to me a lot. But did he listen as much? Maybe not.

But he's a good listener. And I mean he listens more. In the past, he might not have had the confidence in me to listen as much, or [to] someone in the room.

But the continuation of that influence is what's made a difference, many people around the league believe.

They believe Stephen is now a legitimate, smart personnel man. This wasn't always the view of him.

"He was seen by a lot of people in football as a trust fund baby masquerading as a football guy," the NFC general manager says. "Now he's just an excellent football guy."

"Bottom line, without getting into it a lot, Stephen has absolute, tremendous influence on these decisions that are ultimately made in this organization and everything we do," Jerry told Dixon in 2015. "It would be madness for two people to work as hard as [Stephen and coach Jason Garrett] do, not to...be influenced by what they are telling you."

What's interesting is Stephen has a track record that can be followed, and that record elevates his credibility. First, as Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei relayed recently, Stephen convinced Jerry not to select Johnny Manziel. That was one of the smartest moves the Cowboys never made. Manziel has already washed out of the NFL and is being indicted on a misdemeanor assault charge, while the player they picked instead of him, guard Zack Martin, has made the Pro Bowl the past two seasons.

hi-res-1d7b37777f934b0809fbc45597311a8e_crop_exact.jpg

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images
Instead of taking Johnny Manziel, the Cowboys selected Zack Martin with the 16th pick of the 2014 NFL draft.

Second, in this past draft, according to the MMQB's Peter King, Jerry wanted to overpay in a trade to get quarterback Paxton Lynch, but Stephen talked him out of it.

The Cowboys used the picks they could have traded for Lynch to draft Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith and Nebraska defensive tackle Maliek Collins. That was the smarter move.

• TWEET
  • Vikings into the worst trade of all time and built the team with an army of picks.

No, these aren't those Cowboys. Not even close. But this is a different Cowboys team than the one Jerry Jones was running post-Jimmy Johnson. Thanks to Stephen Jones.

A different franchise. A better franchise. One that is starting to scare some people.

Stephen has had 3 drafts under his control now and it's showing. While Jerry did some crazy ass things with picks and trades, it's not happening now. But still, the driveby haters of all things Cowboys and/or Jerry Jones haven't taken the time to see & understand this. This, with time will change too.

Always be a Dallas Cowboy fan but no, not a super bowl contender as long as JJ is at the controls. The team went 1-11 down the stretch. A team should win when their starting qb goes down. Others did. Letting Demarco Murray go instead of Dez Bryant who never sees the filed because of petty injuries? Real smart.

Every NFL team will under perform when the All Pro QB is lost.
Dallas was no different plus add Dez to the mix and yes, it was a disaster.

Boys will be back this year assuming healthy to the 11/12 win club.

Yes - they are a contender but that could change in a heart beat if certain players get injured.
Take Cam off the field and it's a different outcome.
We saw it in 2014 when Carson Palmer was lost.

Boys are like the Yankees or Lakers.
You either love Em or hate Em. Pick a side.

As long as Tony Romo is their quarterback, the Dallas Cowboys aren't winning multiple playoff games in succession. I have zero confidence in his ability to perform when the brightest lights are on and I will retain that cynicism until he proves otherwise.

I couldn't disagree more with these experts. Win the division this year? Well in the NFC LEast, that would be a possibility for any .500 team. But a Super Bowl contender? Just a half step short of absurd. This team doesn't have anything close to a good enough defense to be anything close to a contender. And by the time they might build up the talent to be there, they won't have a quarterback.

Any NFL team, relying on a quarterback who is 36 years old, and has a bad back, and a twice broken clavicle that won't heal on its own, is in a position so precarious, that expecting him to be healthy for the playoffs, is not quite lottery millions hope, but not far from it. You win in the NFL with great quarterbacking and quality defense. Or maybe with a great defense, and a don't screw it up quarterback. Having a really good running game can be of great help.

Rod Marinelli is a solid defensive coordinator. But there is this silk purse - sow's ear fact with their personnel. It ain't there, and all the defensive coach brilliance won't change that. Dallas is more than two years away from Super Bowl consideration. And likely more than a decade. Crappy leadership assures it.

If Elliott's what they expect, then we could be looking at a 1500+ yd rusher. That turns the tables.

And the Cowboy's ranked 5th in pass defense and 17th in points last year behind an offense that couldn't sustain a drive. I don't think that's "(nothing) close enough." I think that's a working offense away from having a top ranked defense.

The "if Romo stays healthy" comment is in the article as well. They were upfront about that.

I couldn't disagree more with these experts. Win the division this year? Well in the NFC LEast, that would be a possibility for any .500 team. But a Super Bowl contender? Just a half step short of absurd. This team doesn't have anything close to a good enough defense to be anything close to a contender. And by the time they might build up the talent to be there, they won't have a quarterback.

Any NFL team, relying on a quarterback who is 36 years old, and has a bad back, and a twice broken clavicle that won't heal on its own, is in a position so precarious, that expecting him to be healthy for the playoffs, is not quite lottery millions hope, but not far from it. You win in the NFL with great quarterbacking and quality defense. Or maybe with a great defense, and a don't screw it up quarterback. Having a really good running game can be of great help.

Rod Marinelli is a solid defensive coordinator. But there is this silk purse - sow's ear fact with their personnel. It ain't there, and all the defensive coach brilliance won't change that. Dallas is more than two years away from Super Bowl consideration. And likely more than a decade. Crappy leadership assures it.

LOL .... yep and you claimed they 'reached' when they drafted the O-Line which is now one of the top rated O-Lines in the NFL, if not the top. BTW, it was Stephen that managed that draft as well.

Really? That top oline had four wins in 16 tries last season. Something on the team sucked in a major away. I mean besides the owner. They have fewer playoff wins than all but a couple of NFL teams in the last 20 years. They last played in the conference championship game 21 years ago. And you have defended Jerrah at any price. Jerrah had two coaches who knew how to run a team and he ran off both of them. Except for when Jimmy or Bill was running the draft, they've stunk at it.

If you held the Cowboys to the same standard you hold Bob to, I'd understand. But you are the class Bob basher and Jerrah defender.

You're backing the wrong horse.

Really? That top oline had four wins in 16 tries last season. Something on the team sucked in a major away. I mean besides the owner. They have fewer playoff wins than all but a couple of NFL teams in the last 20 years. They last played in the conference championship game 21 years ago. And you have defended Jerrah at any price. Jerrah had two coaches who knew how to run a team and he ran off both of them. Except for when Jimmy or Bill was running the draft, they've stunk at it.

If you held the Cowboys to the same standard you hold Bob to, I'd understand. But you are the class Bob basher and Jerrah defender.

You're backing the wrong horse.

You continue to lie and embarass yourself Plano. :)
I'll sit back and wait for you to post anything at anytime that you claim I've posted that bashed Bob Stoops. Praying Christian or not, Haters gonna Hate and you are full of hate.
BTW, Bobby Carpenter, a #1pick of the Bill Parcells era, that never could hit the field as a starter through his entire career says Howdy!

Last edited:
Dallas Still has no run game, and that spells disaster for Romo (again) I disagree with plaino the Dallas Cowboys will not win the division or make the playoffs

Dallas Still has no run game, and that spells disaster for Romo (again) I disagree with plaino the Dallas Cowboys will not win the division or make the playoffs

I'll bet you a 6 pack of Beer of choice they do! Straight up bet, they either make the playoffs or they don't. You game? :)

WNAS, they were 4-12. So tell me again, why the team with this wonderful offensive line, but a mediocre running game ... with a quarterback of all kinds body hazard and no reasonable backup available, with no running back except for very questionable guys on the roster, and yet no attempt to draft one a year ago, while letting the best running back for their offense head out in free agency .... how can that possibly mean good management?

WNAS, again, you don't know what you're talking about. And it's not even a subject worthwhile to the board. You tell me that I'm embarrassing myself. I defend the most competent coach we might possibly have, and you tell me that isn't justified. You like to bash OUr coach.

Bob Stoops is so much more worthy at his job, than Jerrah Jones does as a GM, as a man who couldn't have that job if he weren't the owner, because he stinks at it. But you defend Jones to the hilt.

If I took your positions, you'd be right to claim embarrassment for me. But your positions as usual are 180 from sensible. And in addition, Jerrah exploits the very fan base he relies on. And I promise you there are a lot more fans around Dallas who are on my side in the Jones evaluation, than yours. That doesn't matter when it comes to being right or wrong. But Jerrah needs to have people applaud him for being a great football guy. He horrible at it. And just about everybody in Dallas understands that.

Really? That top oline had four wins in 16 tries last season. Something on the team sucked in a major away.
No one's disputing their won-loss record. But this OLine is widely regarded as one of the NFL's best. That's not my opinion...that's the opinion of many in the business. And yet they're only one cog in the system. Dallas' biggest mistake last year was not having a salty veteran worth a darn ready to go in case/when Romo went down. It was an inevitability, akin to playing Russian Roulette, but using five bullets instead of one.

One of the reasons I dislike the NFL so much is it is too QB-centric. There are so few instances of teams having a below-average QB and being successful. Eventually if your offense can't move the ball, your defense will tire out and give up points regardless of how good it really is. An elite QB hides so many team weaknesses. Dallas was so inept offensively, the defense looked worse than what they really were. You can't expect an decent to good defense to look like a great defense when they're not.

Last year, Dallas lost 12 games total but lost six of those by a TD or less. Two were in OT. Having Romo as the QB for those games gives them those wins. Having even a marginal back-up QB would have given them three or four. With those wins, there is a confidence that winning brings to a unit that would have let them believe they could win close games. That was gone by the middle of the season. It's all hypothetical, but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind Dallas wins those games with Romo, and possibly a few more.

Regardless of what may or may not have happened last year....if Dallas isn't counting on Romo going down for at least part of the season, they're doomed to repeat 2015. If they don't get a legit back-up QB, all other plans/drafts/trades are for naught. I'm looking at another 4-12 and two TVs being replaced kind of year.

But.....if God is smiling on Dallas and Romo doesn't get injured, they're a legit NFC East contender, and probably a legit NFC contender. Depending on how many games Romo goes down for, and who he has to replace him if/when he does, is the single largest criteria in determining Dallas' record next year.

WNAS, they were 4-12. So tell me again, why the team with this wonderful offensive line, but a mediocre running game ... with a quarterback of all kinds body hazard and no reasonable backup available, with no running back except for very questionable guys on the roster, and yet no attempt to draft one a year ago, while letting the best running back for their offense head out in free agency .... how can that possibly mean good management?

WNAS, again, you don't know what you're talking about. And it's not even a subject worthwhile to the board. You tell me that I'm embarrassing myself. I defend the most competent coach we might possibly have, and you tell me that isn't justified. You like to bash OUr coach.

Bob Stoops is so much more worthy at his job, than Jerrah Jones does as a GM, as a man who couldn't have that job if he weren't the owner, because he stinks at it. But you defend Jones to the hilt.

If I took your positions, you'd be right to claim embarrassment for me. But your positions as usual are 180 from sensible. And in addition, Jerrah exploits the very fan base he relies on. And I promise you there are a lot more fans around Dallas who are on my side in the Jones evaluation, than yours. That doesn't matter when it comes to being right or wrong. But Jerrah needs to have people applaud him for being a great football guy. He horrible at it. And just about everybody in Dallas understands that.

You're still hating and I'm still waiting. Post it up or shut it up. I'm out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT