ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Miami Tribe Members Here?

RedEarth

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2012
I arrived at this thought after watching the Caleb Shaffer interview and ensuing discussion. As you all know he transferred from Miami, OH in Oxford, Ohio which is about 45 minutes from my hometown here in suburban Cincinnati. It's also where my oldest son attends college, and where my 2nd and 3rd sons will also likely attend.

My wife is a member of the Miami tribe, consequently my sons are also. All 4 of them have tribal cards. To clarify, they are members of Miami tribe of Indiana, which from what I understand is the rebellious remnant of the federally recognized Miami of Oklahoma tribe. Which means when the government pushed the tribe to Oklahoma, a rebellious few stayed behind in Indiana. (Not sure if my history is EXACTLY right on that).

More to the point of the post, because of their tribal membership they are eligible to be part of the Myammia Heritage Program at Miami, OH. The most important point about that is that they get full tuition remission for their complete education at Miami, OH. We pay room and board, but much of that is offset by the Bridges scholarship given to them as underrepresented students.

How we came to know about all of this is a longish and fortuitious story, and the fact that we randomly moved to the Cincinnati area 7 years ago with no knowledge of this program is even more fortuitous.

Anyway, just wondered if there were other Miami tribe members here, from what I understand the total population is less than 4k people. I also thought that maybe this would help someone who had tribal children willing to attend college in Oxford, OH if it was free and if they had an interest in Myammia culture. Miami, OH is a good university and is one of the most idyllic college settings you will find anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News