ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 50 yard line in NFL preseason games

I remember all 49 so far. I remember more from the first 30 than the last 19. I remember the half empty LA Coliseum and both NBC and CBS broadcasting the game before it was called a Super Bowl and wll before Roman Numerals. Max McGee was a backup wide receiver who didn't expect to play, so he went out and got drunk the night before. Then when Boyd Dowler got hurt, caught two TD passes, one on a terrific catch and the Packers up only 14-10 at half, smoked the Chiefs in the second half and won 35-10.

Super Bowl II was more of the same. The Raiders were the victim this time. It was Lombardi's last game as Packer coach. Herb Adderly had a long pick six. I think it was like 33-14 or something like that. Starr was MVP both times.

Joe Namath broke my heart in Super Bowl III, over my favorite team the Baltimore Colts. Earl Morrall looked like a quarterback throwing the most important game of his life. But the Jets were just better. Surprise, but true.

Since Namath was the MVP that day, it meant that all three MVPs in the first three were former Alabama quarterbacks. That game changed the NFL.

The only one I didn't see a live snap in was SB XVII. My aunt in Tulsa had died, and I was executor living in Texas and that was the only weekend we could go clean out her house. Listened to Riggins long TD run on fourth and one with the Redskins holding 17-16 lead to ice the game, late. It was a tenth anniversary of the same matchup when the Dolphins finished off a perfect season in SBVII beating George Allen's Skins 14-7, with Garo Yepremian providing comic relief in the fourth quarter, ruining the Dolphins' bid for a shutout.

Both that Colt team in III and the Dolphin team in VII, had Don Shula for their coach, and Earl Morrall as back up quarterback , who led each team to the best two seasons of the first decade of Super Bowl football seasons, when first John Unitas in 1968 and then Bob Griese in 1972 got hurt early in the season. Shula learned his lesson, and started his best quarterback against the Redskins, in Bob's first game in nearly three months. In III, by the time Unitas started playing, the Colts were pretty much out of it.

And OU's Eddie HInton scored a controversial touchdown in the Colts' SB V win over the Cowboys, who dominated the game, but lost on Craig Morton's frequent fourth quarter turnovers. And a couple of curious officials' calls.

Tom Landry got his first NFL title as HC the next year when Dallas picked up four important veterans late in their careers and thrashed the Dolphins easily in VI.

I remember all 49 so far. I remember more from the first 30 than the last 19. I remember the half empty LA Coliseum and both NBC and CBS broadcasting the game before it was called a Super Bowl and wll before Roman Numerals. Max McGee was a backup wide receiver who didn't expect to play, so he went out and got drunk the night before. Then when Boyd Dowler got hurt, caught two TD passes, one on a terrific catch and the Packers up only 14-10 at half, smoked the Chiefs in the second half and won 35-10.

Super Bowl II was more of the same. The Raiders were the victim this time. It was Lombardi's last game as Packer coach. Herb Adderly had a long pick six. I think it was like 33-14 or something like that. Starr was MVP both times.

Joe Namath broke my heart in Super Bowl III, over my favorite team the Baltimore Colts. Earl Morrall looked like a quarterback throwing the most important game of his life. But the Jets were just better. Surprise, but true.

Since Namath was the MVP that day, it meant that all three MVPs in the first three were former Alabama quarterbacks. That game changed the NFL.

The only one I didn't see a live snap in was SB XVII. My aunt in Tulsa had died, and I was executor living in Texas and that was the only weekend we could go clean out her house. Listened to Riggins long TD run on fourth and one with the Redskins holding 17-16 lead to ice the game, late. It was a tenth anniversary of the same matchup when the Dolphins finished off a perfect season in SBVII beating George Allen's Skins 14-7, with Garo Yepremian providing comic relief in the fourth quarter, ruining the Dolphins' bid for a shutout.

Both that Colt team in III and the Dolphin team in VII, had Don Shula for their coach, and Earl Morrall as back up quarterback , who led each team to the best two seasons of the first decade of Super Bowl football seasons, when first John Unitas in 1968 and then Bob Griese in 1972 got hurt early in the season. Shula learned his lesson, and started his best quarterback against the Redskins, in Bob's first game in nearly three months. In III, by the time Unitas started playing, the Colts were pretty much out of it.

And OU's Eddie HInton scored a controversial touchdown in the Colts' SB V win over the Cowboys, who dominated the game, but lost on Craig Morton's frequent fourth quarter turnovers. And a couple of curious officials' calls.

Tom Landry got his first NFL title as HC the next year when Dallas picked up four important veterans late in their careers and thrashed the Dolphins easily in VI.

Man Plaino, it's pretty cool when you just tap a vein of memory and lay it out like that.
It's a gift my friend, a gift.

If I didn't respect you so much, I could hate ya. :cool:

Ss50, I have a very quirky memory. I remember details from 50 years ago, that I do not remember about the last two years. On January 12, I know it is the anniversary of Super Bowl III. I know that the Packers win over Dallas, the year before the Ice Bowlthat determined the NFL team to go play the Chiefs in the first game between the two pro leagues was January 1, 1967. That was unique, because it was played in the Cotton Bowl, where the Jan 1 game was always the college teams in a major bowl game, one of four. That was a miracle year for SMU who played Georgia,, I believe on Dec 31,, because back then, there were no college football games on Sunday. My dad surprise me with tickets to that pro game which was likely the first Cowboys sell out ever.

Plano was also great that season, and better than the year before or after. But the before and after won stae, and the 66 team was upset in the state quarterfinals with less than a minute left in the game.

I am pretty good at trivia generally and sports trivia especially. But my wheelhouse in the 60s. We did not get to watch the World Series in those days because the games were always played during the school day. But I watched everything I could, and remember most of what I watched.

Reactions: K2C Sooner

Eddie Hinton did not score a Super Bowl touchdown, controversial or otherwise....that was done by TE John Mackey on a pass that tipped off of Hinton's hands, off of Mel Renfro's hands and into Mackey's hands. Hinton did fumble deep in Cowboys territory and I recall the ball was recovered in the end zone for a touchback. Might have been the worst played SB I remember and the zebras had a bad day as well.

Last edited:
Eddie Hinton did not score a Super Bowl touchdown, controversial or otherwise....that was done by TE John Mackey on a pass that tipped off of Hinton's hands, off of Mel Renfro's hands and into Mackey's hands. Hinton did fumble deep in Cowboys territory and I recall the ball was recovered in the end zone for a touchback. Might have been the worst played SB I remember and the zebras had a bad day as well.

You are correct sir. I knew that for forty years. To be honest, I've had surgery twice in less than four months, and the anesthesia has played with my brain more than a little bit. I'm pretty sure that the rest of what I typed is correct, though I've had some weird things happen since the first one April 24. Most of the effect has been to short term memory, but I guess now it's both. At least that would show that I was doing that from memory, and not looking it up.

I guess we credit Eddie with a hockey assist.

You are correct sir. I knew that for forty years. To be honest, I've had surgery twice in less than four months, and the anesthesia has played with my brain more than a little bit. I'm pretty sure that the rest of what I typed is correct, though I've had some weird things happen since the first one April 24. Most of the effect has been to short term memory, but I guess now it's both. At least that would show that I was doing that from memory, and not looking it up.

I guess we credit Eddie with a hockey assist.
Hope you're getting better, Plaino. Take care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT