ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma City

Aug 31, 2002
In the coming weeks I will be relocating from Indianapolis to Oklahoma City (new job will be at Tinker Air Force Base). Never been to OK before but was hoping Sooner nation could share some thoughts on what to expect. I plan on renting as I am not sure how long I will be there but likely a few years, something sub $1000 per month if possible. Looking for an area that is fun for both me (I am single) and my two girls (10 and 19) when they stay with me. Wouldn't mind finding a good wife while I am down there, but not sure what to expect in the lady dept, haha! Geographically is looks like a confluence of Midwest, Plains, and Southern but does any one of those dominate? I do know I better not speak poorly of the Sooners when I am down there or I might get hog tied!

P.S. - And yes, I recognize the blessing and curse of being a Purdue alum. It can be so painful watching my team!

Just reading the tea leaves I am guessing that your 10 year old won't be living with you and your 19 year old is out of high school and in college somewhere other than Oklahoma. I will also assume that you are more interested in an apartment and not a house. So, since you don't know anything about Oklahoma City there are a couple of things you need to know.

First, OKC is a huge city from an area standpoint. Tinker is located in Midwest City and is around 6 to 8 miles from downtown OKC. Since, you say you want to be in a fun area you might want to consider the Bricktown area. Lots of places to eat and plenty of bars and it is a safe area. The Ball Park and the new BB arena are also located in Bricktown ... there is more to do in a small location in Bricktown than any other place in the OKC metro area. I don't know what rent runs in the Bricktown area, but my guess is the $1,000 range might be the low range in that area. But, it would be a fun spot to live for a 40 something single male with finding a nice woman on his mind.

Here is a link to some housing in the Bricktown area. My suggestion is that you should try to arrange to see where things are before you make any decisions. If it were me, I would prefer to live not so close to Tinker. Don't have anything really negative to say about that area, but I would prefer to live elsewhere.

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Oklahoma/Oklahoma-City/Downtown-Oklahoma-City-Neighborhood-Apartments

Boilermaker, ignore Herpsta. He is having another hopeless day at the used car lot.

I worked with several Purdue engineering grads at my previous job. The company I worked for was HQ'ed in Indy. Great people to work with.

I am supposed to be working right now, so no time to go into detail. But I moved to the Oklahoma City area in 1980 and always considered it one of the best decisions I ever made. If I have anything bad to say about Oklahoma, the weather can get horribly severe and summers are really hot. But other than that, it's a great place to live. Good luck.

Boilermaker, ignore Herpsta. He is having another hopeless day at the used car lot.

I worked with several Purdue engineering grads at my previous job. The company I worked for was HQ'ed in Indy. Great people to work with.

I am supposed to be working right now, so no time to go into detail. But I moved to the Oklahoma City area in 1980 and always considered it one of the best decisions I ever made. If I have anything bad to say about Oklahoma, the weather can get horribly severe and summers are really hot. But other than that, it's a great place to live. Good luck.
Indiana has brutal winters and 100 deg 90% humidity summers, so used to the good ol' 100-120 deg seasonal temp changes. My younger daughter lives with mom and stepdad in NYC and my older daughter is a sophomore at Pitt. They spent most of their lives in Indianapolis though (divorced almost 3 years). I just turned 42 and I am used to living in the burbs, though I grew up in rural podunk Indiana.

Not sure I am ready for the hot spot areas as going out a lot is not so much my style, and I know they can be pricier (man, I am such a lame "dad"). Looking to get a decent place in a nice area for $1000 (or less) a month, preferably 3 bedrooms. I will sacrifice location a bit if I can get a good apartment so long as it is a safe area. I don't need good schools, but clean and not in BFE are probably the biggest criteria. I can always visit areas where the ladies are (not a big bar guy though).

I work for Rolls-Royce and will be the site manager at Tinker for a new joint engine overhaul venture we are doing with the USAF. I was an engineer for many years, but now a business manager. From my interweb research it looks like cost of living is a wash between Indy and OC.

Very excited for the new job opportunity and fresh start in a new city. What are some of the big city wide events/interests besides the Sooners and the Thunder?

Tinker is located in Midwest City next to Del City. Avoid both places ... this message is from my wife, who grew up in Del City. I grew up in NW OKC, so I personally know nothing about those towns (suburbs?) other than we go to Tinker AFB quite often (both of us are vets). Good place to do your shopping ... I'm assuming they let civilians working at the base have 'privileges' like military people have. If not, bad luck for you because they do not charge sales taxes at base facilities.

Just talked to my wife and she said to tell you to get a place in Norman, near I-35 if possible for fast access to Tinker. There are tons of new apartment complexes between Norman and Moore, plus Norman itself is BOOMING with new apartment complexes, some of them beautiful. I can't imagine where all the people are coming from to populate them (the University can provide only so many bodies, as I think freshmen are required to live in University housing ... not to mention, the U is not THAT much bigger than when I was there so these complexes are not filling up with new students).

East Norman provides easiest access to Tinker, but most of the new complexes are near the U or in west Norman. However, they are pretty close to the Interstate, so it's not that big a problem to commute. NW OKC is out because of bad traffic at rush hour ("bad traffic" in OKC is like Dallas on an early Sunday morning when nobody is up but church-goers).

As for chicks, good luck. Most complexes--especially the newer ones--will have plenty of professional (as in employment professional) women ... and probably a number of the other kind. If you remove the 40% ultra fatties that populate Oklahoma, there are some fine looking ladies in OKC--unless you are into the ultra variety, of course, which one could understand, you being from Indiana and all. (Sorry, we associate that state with the much hated Irish of Notre Dame, not Purdue.)

Out of curiosity, why is the Air Force using Rolls Royce engines rather than American-made GE or Boeing engines?

Tinker is located in Midwest City next to Del City. Avoid both places ... this message is from my wife, who grew up in Del City. I grew up in NW OKC, so I personally know nothing about those towns (suburbs?) other than we go to Tinker AFB quite often (both of us are vets). Good place to do your shopping ... I'm assuming they let civilians working at the base have 'privileges' like military people have. If not, bad luck for you because they do not charge sales taxes at base facilities.

Just talked to my wife and she said to tell you to get a place in Norman, near I-35 if possible for fast access to Tinker. There are tons of new apartment complexes between Norman and Moore, plus Norman itself is BOOMING with new apartment complexes, some of them beautiful. I can't imagine where all the people are coming from to populate them (the University can provide only so many bodies, as I think freshmen are required to live in University housing ... not to mention, the U is not THAT much bigger than when I was there so these complexes are not filling up with new students).

East Norman provides easiest access to Tinker, but most of the new complexes are near the U or in west Norman. However, they are pretty close to the Interstate, so it's not that big a problem to commute. NW OKC is out because of bad traffic at rush hour ("bad traffic" in OKC is like Dallas on an early Sunday morning when nobody is up but church-goers).

As for chicks, good luck. Most complexes--especially the newer ones--will have plenty of professional (as in employment professional) women ... and probably a number of the other kind. If you remove the 40% ultra fatties that populate Oklahoma, there are some fine looking ladies in OKC--unless you are into the ultra variety, of course, which one could understand, you being from Indiana and all. (Sorry, we associate that state with the much hated Irish of Notre Dame, not Purdue.)

Out of curiosity, why is the Air Force using Rolls Royce engines rather than American-made GE or Boeing engines?
Good stuff DD, thanks! Your reply cracked me up. Not into the "ultra" types at all, rather quite the opposite! Wouldn't mind living in a college town again, I did for a time in West Lafayette, IN after leaving Purdue post graduation. I F@$#ing HATE ND and IU! And yes, Indiana has tons of ultra fatties too.

I work for the old Allison Engine company that RR purchased in 1995. Our engines are completely designed and made in the US. Note that our engines are kick ass too plus engines are designed specifically for applications, so not so easy to just say "pop another's engine in there". I and my colleagues bleed red, white, and blue as much as anyone (tons of US vets work here).

Never rooted for another college team (not in my make up) though I do wish my daughter's team (Pitt) well. Maybe the overwhelming Sooner love will rub off on me (only a little).

Dude!! don't believe the hype!!! I was born and raised here, moved on as soon as i had the chance.Not that I don't love my home state, just out grew it's backwardness.

You could easily find a nice place on the east side of Norman and take Sooner road to work and avoid a ton of traffic. Otherwise, there are some nice places on the west side but you'll have to take I-35, which isn't bad but will have more traffic.

Don't even think for a second about moving to Del City or Midwest City.

Reactions: glmays11
LOL Zer0, Give him h**L. Some people just might like the "clinging to bibles and guns" that Oklahoma represents.........

sense.png

HA!

LOL Zer0, Give him h**L. Some people just might like the "clinging to bibles and guns" that Oklahoma represents.........

sense.png

HA!

LOL that picture is great.

I've lived all over the US and in several places around the world and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Some folks may be considered backward, but I'd take backward over F'd up stupid like several of the places I've lived. Besides, backward is only a euphemism for "old school" and not as "progressive". If you want that, you'd be better off in San Fran or Austin...I wasn't impressed.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Dude!! don't believe the hype!!! I was born and raised here, moved on as soon as i had the chance.Not that I don't love my home state, just out grew it's backwardness.

TRANSLATION:

The people around here don't accept my neckbeard, fascination with pokemon, fedoras, beard lotions, and comic book festivals. I also had a mean bare chested Viking/Blacksmith shout the f word at me during Norman's 2014 Renaissance Faire.

TRANSLATION:

The people around here don't accept my neckbeard, fascination with pokemon, fedoras, beard lotions, and comic book festivals. I also had a mean bare chested Viking/Blacksmith shout the f word at me during Norman's 2014 Renaissance Faire.

I actually think this means "people don't accept that I dress in high heels yet have a neck beard and love pokemon as well as I don't appreciate the comments made while I walk down the street showing my tramp stamp"

You guys crack me up! Fellow alums told me you guys were fun over here and I recall some hilarious memes and captions of sports related photos from ya'll a few years back.

I am fairly traveled and mildly progressive, but at heart a simple man that appreciates the simple things as much as the intellectual. If she is hot enough I won't care if she has a tramp stamp, chews on a wheat stalk, and plays the jug!

If I am lucky I will be a sought after commodity, can't be too many Indiana boys runnin' round. Best places to meet women?

now get your arm out that catfish's mouth.:D

That's not my arm...although I can see how you might mistake it as such and I wasn't aware your mom had a nick name. Kidding...kidding....it was too good to pass up. :)

Come on back down and we'll do some whittling, porch sittin and shoot up some road signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medic007
In the coming weeks I will be relocating from Indianapolis to Oklahoma City (new job will be at Tinker Air Force Base). Never been to OK before but was hoping Sooner nation could share some thoughts on what to expect. I plan on renting as I am not sure how long I will be there but likely a few years, something sub $1000 per month if possible. Looking for an area that is fun for both me (I am single) and my two girls (10 and 19) when they stay with me. Wouldn't mind finding a good wife while I am down there, but not sure what to expect in the lady dept, haha! Geographically is looks like a confluence of Midwest, Plains, and Southern but does any one of those dominate? I do know I better not speak poorly of the Sooners when I am down there or I might get hog tied!

P.S. - And yes, I recognize the blessing and curse of being a Purdue alum. It can be so painful watching my team!

http://www.missionpointapartmentsmoore.com/ South Moore and just North of Norman. Best theatre in Southwest right there and a great gym and a gazillion restaurants. Take you 20 minutes to Tinker. Jump on S 19th street to Sooner Road.

Best place to meet women.... church! You'll like it here.... You'll see that most everyone is "oddly friendly" as one of my Cinci transplant friends put it. I'd live in Moore/Norman if I were you as mentioned. Mid-Del isn't the greatest destination, but then again, I've been in Lawton for a while so it's not bad to me. haha! We'll gladly adopt you as a Sooner fan! Come on down!

You guys crack me up! Fellow alums told me you guys were fun over here and I recall some hilarious memes and captions of sports related photos from ya'll a few years back.

I am fairly traveled and mildly progressive, but at heart a simple man that appreciates the simple things as much as the intellectual. If she is hot enough I won't care if she has a tramp stamp, chews on a wheat stalk, and plays the jug!

If I am lucky I will be a sought after commodity, can't be too many Indiana boys runnin' round. Best places to meet women?

Most likely churches. As there are about 2 to 1 churches to bars/businesses. There's even a 3rd Baptist Church in Choctaw. I'm guessing that the founders didn't like the 1st or 2nd. Or you can try www.farmersonly.com and feel right at home. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT