ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread: OU vs. Houston

This team doesn’t impress me with this kind of Texas Tech defense. Grinch has a lot of work to do.
The heat and humidity hasn’t helped but we still suck defensively

We started impressively but Houston adjusted better offensively than we did defensively. As I stated in an earlier post, we simply have to be more physical on the defensive side of the ball.

This team doesn’t impress me with this kind of Texas Tech defense. Grinch has a lot of work to do.

Let's go ahead and fire Grinch now. There's been positives and negatives all night. Murray, Gallimore and Perkins look great. We struggled with containment with an aggressive defense. Meanwhile the one constant is you've been bitching all year. It's going to take time.

I think the worst decision I’ve seen all night is the decision to let Holly Rowe be a sideline reporter. She’s long winded and annoying. Hurts and his dad couldn’t wait to get away from her. Damn
Holly Rowe is a bad luck charm, and at the end of the day, is nothing more than an excuse to have an unattractive sideline reporter to satisfy the PC thought cops.

Holly Rowe needs to be retired to lesbian water polo. To see the bullshit calls at the endi is aggravating to no end. 2 TDS placed into Houston’s column is utter crap...horrible officiating. Like it was scripted to save Herbie’s lame prediction.

Let's go ahead and fire Grinch now. There's been positives and negatives all night. Murray, Gallimore and Perkins look great. We struggled with containment with an aggressive defense. Meanwhile the one constant is you've been bitching all year. It's going to take time.
I have liked the Grinch hire from day one. This has been revealed in my posts. Saying he’s got a lot of work to do is not an indictment of him in any way.
Knowledgeable OU fans have observed defensive issues with this team in recent years. There’s nothing controversial or debatable about it.
My hope is that Grinch can build a defense that can give OU a better, well rounded team. This may take some time.

No doubt the officiating sucked on those drives but it pretty much sucked the whole game. Honestly though for the first 20 minutes of this game the D dominated allowing OU to go up by 21. After that Holgersen started finding chinks in the OU defense and was able to exploit it and we are probable fortunate it took him that long to do it.

The defense played with amazing intensity early but by games end showed it still has a long ways to go to put OU in position to challenge a team like Clemson who is a complete team on both sides of the ball. I like the direction the D seems to be headed to but Grinch still has tons of work to do in turning this D into a national title contender.

After the game , not only was Hurts unhappy even with the win you could also tell Riley wasn’t exactly happy either. I like that from both of them. I just hope that same feeling is shared by all the team and it drives them throughout the season.

This has nothing to bash her survival from cancee but her badgering of Jalen. Like she was not even at the damned game. Stupid questions get you nowhere Holly. Thank you Jalen for keeping it reality. You have won me as the REAL deal. Stats do not mean jack crap until you are totally good with the results. Total respect Jalen.

We just played a game and you are worried about what a sideline reporter said? Weak

Reactions: Schoonerman
No doubt the officiating sucked on those drives but it pretty much sucked the whole game. Honestly though for the first 20 minutes of this game the D dominated allowing OU to go up by 21. After that Holgersen started finding chinks in the OU defense and was able to exploit it and we are probable fortunate it took him that long to do it.

The defense played with amazing intensity early but by games end showed it still has a long ways to go to put OU in position to challenge a team like Clemson who is a complete team on both sides of the ball. I like the direction the D seems to be headed to but Grinch still has tons of work to do in turning this D into a national title contender.

After the game , not only was Hurts unhappy even with the win you could also tell Riley wasn’t exactly happy either. I like that from both of them. I just hope that same feeling is shared by all the team and it drives them throughout the season.

Guess we could be Iowa State ...completely embarrassed emoticon. Just goes to show you that every week means something. I worry not in this crappy conference.

This has nothing to bash her survival from cancee but her badgering of Jalen. Like she was not even at the damned game. Stupid questions get you nowhere Holly. Thank you Jalen for keeping it reality. You have won me as the REAL deal. Stats do not mean jack crap until you are totally good with the results. Total respect Jalen.

Yep, just because someone has cancer or any illness does not give them a pass on anything.
My sister had it and died last year, she was always a mean woman. She said something bad about me to my daughter a couple years ago, when I confronted her about it she said "you do know I am dying of cancer right?"
I said yes but that does not give you a pass on acting like you do.

Yep Jalen said just what I hoped he would say and most players won't.
Very mature young man that knows what it takes to get to the top and knows we have lots of work to be done in order to get there.

Yep, just because someone has cancer or any illness does not give them a pass on anything.
My sister had it and died last year, she was always a mean woman. She said something bad about me to my daughter a couple years ago, when I confronted her about it she said "you do know I am dying of cancer right?"

Very mature young man that knows what it takes to get to the top and knows we have lots of work to be done in order to get there.

Hey if you want to spend time complaining about what a sideline reporter said then go for it. Its a free country

Pretty lame of you guys going after a female sideline reporter who is trying to overcome cancer. Keep it classy
Very lame.
Holly Rowe has worked hard at her profession and has fought to overcome cancer. So now she’s judged for her appearance. Political correctness is not be a factor in Holly pursuing her career. Some here need to join the human race.

Comparing your late sister’s meanness to Holly Rowe’s intentions in her interview with Hurts is silly.

Guess we could be Iowa State ...completely embarrassed emoticon. Just goes to show you that every week means something. I worry not in this crappy conference.

ISU certainly had a tougher game than expected. I am usually in agreement with you but I think this season may be different in the B12.

Reactions: iasooner1
ISU certainly had a tougher game than expected. I am usually in agreement with you but I think this season may be different in the B12.

This is after nobody really played a challenging opponent. it’s us and the Shorthorns. Sam the sham verssus Jalen Hurts. Of course the media has Sam ...but who has real honest to goodness leadership?

Yes I am. I am in Nigeria today/tomorrow then going to Kenya later in the week for a few days. Then to Dubai for 6 days then HOME for 6 or 8 weeks. My daughter and I hope to make the UCLA game.

I've got a good (and easy) way to watch when I'm out of the country. I watched from Mexico tonight using a VPN and ESPN+. Drop me a line if you are interested in setting it up. I'd be happy to help.

My oldest is in Redondo Beach and I was hoping to combine a visit with attending the game, but I'm in the middle of renewing my visa and can't leave the country until it's done.

It will take a few years for the talent to stack up. Tonight wasn't a bad coaching job. Tonight was the lack of talent Mike Stoops left OU. If OU had a Tommie Harris, a Rocky Calmus, and a Roy Williams on defense tonight, you'd likely be praising the dominant almost shutout defensive performance.

For the first time in a few years, the defense didn't look completely clueless for the majority of the game. There was a ton of effort displayed tonight. The OU defense needs some elite talent to get to the defense we expect as fans. But holy crap, tonight was a significant upgrade over the past 3 seasons.

It will take a few years for the talent to stack up. Tonight wasn't a bad coaching job. Tonight was the lack of talent Mike Stoops left OU. If OU had a Tommie Harris, a Rocky Calmus, and a Roy Williams on defense tonight, you'd likely be praising the dominant almost shutout defensive performance.

For the first time in a few years, the defense didn't look completely clueless for the majority of the game. There was a ton of effort displayed tonight. The OU defense needs some elite talent to get to the defense we expect as fans. But holy crap, tonight was a significant upgrade over the past 3 seasons.
Well, sure, if OU had its great defensive players from its past I probably would be " praising the dominate almost shutout defensive performance"....if, if, if.
But in 2019, this defense requires time to develop and come together, better talent and Grinch to recruit at a higher level and "coach up" his talent on hand. Right now, OU's defense will be a work in process this season.
Early in the game I saw some defensive intensity, but as the game progressed in hot and sticky conditions, things got sloppy and there were some discipline lacking on a few plays. Plus, Houston has a good offense led by a very mobile quarterback, and this should help Grinch prepare for Texas and Ehlinger next month.
The South Dakota game will be a good time to audition lots of talent and with OU having a short practice week, a cupcake opponent won't hurt.

Very lame.
Holly Rowe has worked hard at her profession and has fought to overcome cancer. So now she’s judged for her appearance. Political correctness is not be a factor in Holly pursuing her career. Some here need to join the human race.
Oh BS. She's up there to satisfy the "aesthetically challenged female" demographic.

My thoughts on the defense:

1. We only gave up 170 in passing yards.

2. Their leading rusher was their QB, who will probably be the most mobile QB we'll face this year.

3. Murray just moved into the 3rd round of the NFL draft. Maybe the 2nd.

4. Gap control, and tackling were way, way better last night.

5. Didn't like they way their change of pace, bruiser back came in a dominated.

6. Somebody said we need to stack some more athletes, that's true. But we're getting there.

7. Not a national championship defense, but it might be good enough to get us our fifth straight Big XII title. We'll see.

I've got a good (and easy) way to watch when I'm out of the country. I watched from Mexico tonight using a VPN and ESPN+. Drop me a line if you are interested in setting it up. I'd be happy to help.

My oldest is in Redondo Beach and I was hoping to combine a visit with attending the game, but I'm in the middle of renewing my visa and can't leave the country until it's done.
One more game next week and I will be home for all others. The issue is very poor network in Nigeria. I will be in Dubai by Saturday and will listen on Tune-In radio. I will attend many more games this year than in the past. I am winding down and stepping out of the day to day efforts of my company by year end. Thanks for the offer Veritas!!!

Houston's first five series - 14 plays, 2 three-and-outs, 24 yards. 0 points.
Next two series - 12 plays, 119 yards, 10 points.
Second half - 44 plays, one punt, one loss of downs, 283 total yards and 21 points. Scoring drives of 87, 75 and 72 yards.

Can't help but have that "Same old song and dance" feeling where the D is concerned. As others pointed out, the initial intensity by the OU defense was outstanding. But it appears as the second quarter progressed, Houston made some adjustments that opened up their running game and allowed them to sustain drives. We helped their cause with stupid penalties and poor tackling, but credit Houston for figuring out how to attack this OU D, especially after the slow start.

We may be looking at a repeat of the D from the last two or three seasons. Feast on the non-conference opponents, only to get exposed in conference play. Hoping I'm wrong, but trying to keep my expectations in check.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT