ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread - Game #4 - OU vs. West Virginny

I don't think it's that bad. In the days of four passes per game by the two teams combined, DB's had to be better at tackling in the run game than in coverage. But those days are gone, and you have to sacrifice a little on the tacking side to find guys who can cover. I think our DB's are a little smaller than some, especially the safeties.

But OUr defensive backs tackle better than average. Except for Ronnie Lott, not many corners are going to be successful very often against a running back. OU forced five turnovers today and the DB's were pretty good overall.

We played better than any of the ranked Big Ten schools. A whole lot better than Georgia.

And of course, everybody in the country played better than Texas. It was a good day.
I don't think it's that bad. In the days of four passes per game by the two teams combined, DB's had to be better at tackling in the run game than in coverage. But those days are gone, and you have to sacrifice a little on the tacking side to find guys who can cover. I think our DB's are a little smaller than some, especially the safeties.

But OUr defensive backs tackle better than average. Except for Ronnie Lott, not many corners are going to be successful very often against a running back. OU forced five turnovers today and the DB's were pretty good overall.

We played better than any of the ranked Big Ten schools. A whole lot better than Georgia.

And of course, everybody in the country played better than Texas. It was a good day.

This, but some will never be happy, even with a hard fight win.

Yea I thought he had a sub par game....in order to have a chance at the next level he needs to really improve on his tackling. Right now, its VERY bad. J. Thomas had a good game as did Striker and Mayfield. Really hope ou hangs half a hundred nex saturday but rival games are hard to predict

First of all he is a young college athlete and your talking about the next level? You're looking dumb with every post this is fact, But we already knew this.

This, but some will never be happy, even with a hard fight win.
Mike are you going to complain after every single game about this issue? OU played a good game but they had trouble tackling. The RB's squirted through the line several times and Sanchez couldn't tackle anybody. Those are the facts. I expect us to continue to improve

Reactions: BillyRay
Mike are you going to complain after every single game about this issue? OU played a good game but they had trouble tackling. The RB's squirted through the line several times and Sanchez couldn't tackle anybody. Those are the facts. I expect us to continue to improve

Are you going to complain with a 20 point victory? Drama much?

One thing I am really liking from game to game.....is Shepard getting some help in the WR group. With each game I feel more and more secure that if something were to happen to Shepard, all is not lost. Riley and is really doing a great job of game planning to spread the ball around really well, and Baker is a beast out there making it happen!!

Are you going to complain with a 20 point victory? Drama much?
You seem way more concerned with what other posters say than the game itself. There is nothing wrong with picking apart a game and talking about the positives and negatives. Do you never listen to sports radio? Its what sports fans do.

22, Its my belief that Sanchez is a pretty decent corner but nothing great. These NFL scouts haven't watched every single game he has played in like many of us have done. I personally just can't see him playing at the next level but we'll see. I could be wrong

Mike if you can't accept other views maybe message boards aren't the place for you. You seem very sensitive and unaccepting of opinions that differ from yours. Does Sanchez have issues tackling? Yes or no? Has he been picked on by teams this year? Yes or no? He does good things but has plenty to work on in order to be elite or a high pick.

22 that article pretty much states what I've posted from the start about Sanchez. Makes some big plays but struggles tackling. Thank you man lol

Okay I admit I didn't even read the article when it was first posted. However, after reading it, I have to agree with this evaluation. The writer seemed surprised that Sanchez was picked on which shows me he hasn't seen him play very much. He is often the target

Fair enough.

Boomer Sooner

Yankees, as usual, you don't have a clue. Mike doesn't broadcast it, but he played football at OU. You, well you pretend that you know something, and you don't. Sanchez has already been a conference defensive player of the week. He made a ton of plays today, when you weren't watching carefully enough to notice.

Corners get beat some. I can count of one hand the number of great cover corners in the last 50 years that were great in coverage to the point that they just never got thrown at much. And at least a couple couldn't tackle you. One wouldn't try to much.

Sanchez isn't that good. But he's a quality college corner. Part of the reason we could hold a good offense to 24 points on a day when OUr offense didn't control the ball much, was because we have two excellent college corners, and both made a bunch of plays today, mostly in single coverage. Having a guy you're defending catch a pass, doesn't mean you're not doing your job.

Thomas messed up one coverage today, that led to a touchdown, but he's still an inexperienced young guy. And he had two picks and was really a difference maker in the game. Because we put he and Sanchez on an island a lot, they are going to have some passes caught in their coverage. And not many corners are making great tackles on a running back who has 20 pounds on them in the open field. They're just trying to get them down any way they can. Like most corners do.

The key defensive series of the day was immediately after Westbrook's fumble, a play or two after the WVU score that cut it to ten early third, and then Sanchez stumbled on the long pass play. I know you've never made a mistake, but most corners do, especially when they play single coverage much of the day, with no help. On the ensuing three plays, which led to holding them to a field goal, Sanchez made the play on two of the snaps. It kept WVU from taking all of the momentum. And they scored only seven points the rest of the day.

The great thing about Sanchez is that he's a db that actually catches the ball when his pick opportunities come. Like against UTenn in overtime, ending the game. Or when the offense was struggling in the RRR last season, his pick six was one of two key Sooner plays in the narrow win.

Go get a clue. Sanchez is a three year starter for a reason. He's the best corner at OU in more than five years. Aaron Colvin was close, but was hurt more. Sanchez is playing hurt right now, but still making plays and tackles.

And this is the best Sooner defense since BV left. And I think, if the lines hold up on both sides, the best Sooner team since Bradford was OUr quarterback.

Reactions: gsxrace01
Sanchez is a three year starter for a reason. He's the best corner at OU in more than five years. Aaron Colvin was close, but was hurt more. Sanchez is playing hurt right now, but still making plays and tackles.

You're exactly right Plaino. Sanchez will play in the NFL and his style has NFL written all over him.

Exactly plaino...again THANK YOU. He is a quality college corner but not elite. I'm glad you finally backed off your statement of stating Sanchez is the best corner ou has had in a really long time. In reality u should have said he is our best corner the last couple of years. I'm glad we have Sanchez but I won't do like other fans and build him up to be something he isn't just due to me being a fan.

And again, the article posted by 22 pretty much states the exact things I've stated.... Gonna whine and pout about the article as well?

I backed off nothing. I was over on the WVU board saying that we had two quality corners which gave us the chance to play really good defense. And you came over telling me and them that wasn't true. That one was average and Sanchez wasn't all that good.

I thought that the defense was very solid yesterday, even though they played too many snaps. I said that we have depth like we haven't had in at least seven years, and that would be reflected in shutting them out in the fourth quarter.

And I said we can play that kind of defense because we have two corners that we can put on an island and let the other nine guys give a lot of different looks, if Thomas played corner. And I think all those things are true.

I think WNAS's points about Sanchez are true. I don't think Zack gets taken advantage of in the run game, but teams do like to run at him just to bang him up a little. It makes him less effective in coverage. But he is still a playmaker and a quality college corner. I wouldn't find much difference between quality and elite, but you want to. Anybody who can hold up in this conference on an island, without safety help in coverage much, is a quality guy. And Sanchez makes the other team pay for it enough to make throwing at him, a wary goal.

Thomas was terrific yesterday, when you made a big deal out of calling him "average at best."

And if Perine or Mixon didn't go for 100 yards individually, we wouldn't win. And you picked an "eer" victory. Pretty much wrong on all counts. Again.

But thanks for playing, and don't forget your wonderful parting gifts.

I backed off nothing. I was over on the WVU board saying that we had two quality corners which gave us the chance to play really good defense. And you came over telling me and them that wasn't true. That one was average and Sanchez wasn't all that good.

I thought that the defense was very solid yesterday, even though they played too many snaps. I said that we have depth like we haven't had in at least seven years, and that would be reflected in shutting them out in the fourth quarter.

And I said we can play that kind of defense because we have two corners that we can put on an island and let the other nine guys give a lot of different looks, if Thomas played corner. And I think all those things are true.

I think WNAS's points about Sanchez are true. I don't think Zack gets taken advantage of in the run game, but teams do like to run at him just to bang him up a little. It makes him less effective in coverage. But he is still a playmaker and a quality college corner. I wouldn't find much difference between quality and elite, but you want to. Anybody who can hold up in this conference on an island, without safety help in coverage much, is a quality guy. And Sanchez makes the other team pay for it enough to make throwing at him, a wary goal.

Thomas was terrific yesterday, when you made a big deal out of calling him "average at best."

And if Perine or Mixon didn't go for 100 yards individually, we wouldn't win. And you picked an "eer" victory. Pretty much wrong on all counts. Again.

But thanks for playing, and don't forget your wonderful parting gifts.
This whole thing kinda reminds me of all the Brennan Clay talk. Some wanted to make him into being as good as Murray or Peterson but he obviously wasn't. Same thing seems to be happening with Sanchez. He is a nice college player and makes some plays at times but he is no Derrick Strait. Lets just accept him for what he is and hope he and Thomas can hold up when we face TCU and Baylor. At this point I'm not close to being convinced that they can. Hopefully I'm wrong

Exactly plaino...again THANK YOU. He is a quality college corner but not elite. I'm glad you finally backed off your statement of stating Sanchez is the best corner ou has had in a really long time. In reality u should have said he is our best corner the last couple of years. I'm glad we have Sanchez but I won't do like other fans and build him up to be something he isn't just due to me being a fan.
Colvin was better

This whole thing kinda reminds me of all the Brennan Clay talk. Some wanted to make him into being as good as Murray or Peterson but he obviously wasn't. Same thing seems to be happening with Sanchez. He is a nice college player and makes some plays at times but he is no Derrick Strait. Lets just accept him for what he is and hope he and Thomas can hold up when we face TCU and Baylor. At this point I'm not close to being convinced that they can. Hopefully I'm wrong
Judging how good any defensive back at OU is right now is premature. The final grades for the secondary will have to be determined at season's end.....after it is tested by Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and OSU. For one thing, OU has not faced an elite team in its first 4 games and secondly, this secondary cannot afford an injury or suspension among its 4 starting DBs from here on. We saw how the secondary performed against Tulsa when CB Jordan Thomas was out with his suspension. Parker, Jordan Thomas and Sanchez must stay healthy and out of the coaches' dog house.
As for Brennan Clay, while he was not one of OU's all time running backs, I believe his output in the last 4 games of the 2013....especially against Alabama....was critical to OU's strong finish.

Plaino if you are going to quote me please don't lie. I stated Sanchez was above average and Thomas was average. Thanks for playing though

Plaino u think quality and elite is the same thing...that's fine. However elite corners go really high in the draft... My guess is he goes very late 2nd to 3rd round. If I'm wrong I'll admit it and give him his due. It's amazing how butthurt you guys get when someone disagrees with you. I'm pretty sure some of y'all are the same ones who built up Landry(stated he would go top 10) and called clay one of the great ou running backs of all time. Of course those both turned out to be wrong...

Judging how good any defensive back at OU is right now is premature. The final grades for the secondary will have to be determined at season's end.....after it is tested by Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and OSU. For one thing, OU has not faced an elite team in its first 4 games and secondly, this secondary cannot afford an injury or suspension among its 4 starting DBs from here on. We saw how the secondary performed against Tulsa when CB Jordan Thomas was out with his suspension. Parker, Jordan Thomas and Sanchez must stay healthy and out of the coaches' dog house.
As for Brennan Clay, while he was not one of OU's all time running backs, I believe his output in the last 4 games of the 2013....especially against Alabama....was critical to OU's strong finish.
I agree CT. Clay had strong performances and some key moments during the last half of his senior season. I'm not trying to take that away from him. As for the secondary, we still need improvement before we face those teams you mentioned. Time will tell as to whether we will get there or not. If we do then we'll be looking at being one of those 4 teams which would be awesome.

It's amazing how butthurt you guys get when someone disagrees with you. I'm pretty sure some of y'all are the same ones who built up Landry(stated he would go top 10) and called clay one of the great ou running backs of all time. Of course those both turned out to be wrong...

How about giving a specific list of the posters who you are talking about rather than a blanket statement like "you guys"? Seems fair enough. Right? Thanks.

OK thanks. Just wondering if I should be clarifying anything I've said, or if I can go take my Sunday nap now. A nap it is. ;)

I will say this...over on the pay board Damien Mackey posted up this thoughts on the game and this team so far. Oddly enough one of his points was about Sanchez. Mackey gave him some props, but it wasn't exactly a glowing review.

Wait a minute that can't be!!! A former d1 player pretty much saying the EXACT thing I've been saying. Lol. Gotta love it. I wonder if Mike and plaino are going to head to the pay board to tell him how wrong he is. If so it would be worth the price of a subscription lol

I'm taking this pissing contest all in and have come to the conclusion that one group feels that any player that isn't world class is open game for pointing out his deficiencies. Whereas those that believe any OU player that plays with heart and regularly contributes, but may not be all world shouldn't be subject to criticism. So there are two differing opinions. I definitely have an opinion but feel there isn't anyway to convince the other side I'm right. And it's not that important for me to convince any Sooner fan I'm right. It's just an opinion, and we're all damn fortunate to have become OU fans.

Oklabama I'm right, they are wrong. Facts and stats back up my opinion, homerism backs up theirs. But nothing is gonna change the opinion of either side...it is what is. In the end we all root for the same thing, success for our OU football team

Oklabama I'm right, they are wrong. Facts and stats back up my opinion, homerism backs up theirs. But nothing is gonna change the opinion of either side...it is what is. In the end we all root for the same thing, success for our OU football team

Ha, Yankees. You will get no argument from me, and neither will those that challenge your opinions. I gain more good info and insight from you and the others to satisfy me over and over many times. I enjoy the jousting. Makes you stop and go "humm". Boomer!

oklabama did you by chance attend the game Saturday?

No, Yankees. I haven't had season tickets since moving to Tulsa 20 years ago and the last time I've attended a game was the night some idiot blew himself up outside the stadium. We didn't get back home until 1:30 am. Besides my knees can't climb those steps anymore. I always seem to give long answers. Sorry. But I have watched the game twice as I always do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT