ADVERTISEMENT

NOTES: Alex Grinch Zoom Session (Wednesday, 8-19) ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
We'll pass along anything of note. Sitting with Alex Grinch and Dennis Simmons for a little question and answer and jolly good time. UPDATE: (the Dennis Simmons portion of today's Zoom call has been canceled)

* Believe it or not ... Alex Grinch is happy to get back out on the field. Paraphrasing but it sounds like football coaches like coaching football.

* Scrimmage: Poor tackling/wasn't happy with it. About 50 plays (or what Grinch says is about a half of football)

"Similar to previous days ... you see the defense you see a brand. Guys understanding where they need to be with tremendous effort. (I've) enjoyed watching the film," says Grinch.

* It's brought up Grinch hasn't had the opportunity to coach a roster not going through turmoil defensively (see Caleb Kelly/Justin Harrington injuries and Ronnie Perkins suspension)

"Our depth chart has not lasted a day," jokes (?) Grinch.

"Last year we had 5 ACL's on defense. The world doesn't care what you're lacking. Our depth chart has not lasted a day in two seasons here at Oklahoma and that's just the reality of what we're in."

* Grinch says the leadership on the defensive side of the ball has been good despite current morale around the team. Not letting the outside noise affect their play on the field.

"Very impressed with our guys ability to put thoughts/opinions/feelings in the back of their mind when it comes to the performance in the building/practice field"

* Great quote from Grinch over the last few months ...

"I've yelled at computer screens more than anytime in my life"

Yep. I can see that.

* A lot of good stuff from Grinch on mentality through the pandemic.

* Good reviews of Bennie Wylie's work with the defense. What Jason said:

* Tre Norwood and Jon Michael Terry are doing great in return

* David Ugwoegbu has moved inside at linebacker from outside. Also says Robert Barnes (surprise!) and Shane Whitter are getting looks inside following the Caleb Kelly injury.

* Asked about leadership on the defensive side of the ball ... "You have a voice when you have film"

LOVE THAT.

* Says they'll have more bodies to rotate up front along the defensive line.

* Grinch says Bookie has learned from the Peach Bowl. Says he sees a player that is making improvement and not making the same mistakes.

* Grinch says the last game they have on tape is a good reminder that they have a long way to go.

SCOOPHD: Alex Grinch Zoom Session Highlights

(the Dennis Simmons portion of today's Zoom call has been canceled)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News