ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Sooner Training Camp Blurbs: NFC (Long)

OUBeliever

Sooner starter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Tulsa, OK
4 rookies who are performing well at Cowboys Training Camp
Charles Tapper, Defensive End
The rookie with the most questions marks, outside of Jaylon Smith, on the Cowboys rosters had to be fourth-round pick Charles Tapper. He showcased immense athleticism in athletic testing; however, the scheme he played in at Oklahoma severely limited his ability to use that athleticism. There were questions as to how Tapper would transition into a totally new scheme in Dallas.
Well, so far so good for the former Sooner. Former scout Bryan Broaddus stated, “Charles Tapper looked like an edge rusher in this practice. There were several snaps in 1-on-1 where he was off the ball before the tackle had a chance to react.”
On top of that, Tapper has shown an ability to win with power, along with his speed and an excellent spin move. The Cowboys are in desperate need of production at the defensive end spot and Tapper looks like he may be able to contribute earlier than many thought.

Charles Tapper can capitalize on Cowboys suspensions
By Danny Shimon
Posted on July 31, 2016
With the recent news that the Dallas Cowboys organization will be facing a $250,000 fine from the NFL for having three players serving league imposed suspensions, the start of training camp will not be defined as one of the finer moments in the proud history of the franchise.
With both Gregory (10 games) and Lawrence (four games) being suspended the defensive end position, in particular, has taken the biggest hit leaving unproven players like Benson Mayowa, David Irving, Ryan Russell and Charles Tapper vying to fill the void.
While the additional reps can stand to help all participating individuals battling to replace Gregory and Lawrence, rookie fourth-round pick Charles Tapper can really use this opportunity to show the coaching staff he is worthy of being elevated up the depth chart and to be looked upon as a viable option to help fill the void at defensive end.
Tapper, who Dallas selected 101st overall out of The University of Oklahoma, is a 6’3” defensive end who did not always play or produce up to his potential while in Norman.
However, Tapper possesses a number of the measurables along with intangibles that can be molded into a very productive edge player.
First off, Tapper has extremely long arms (34 3/8) and huge hands (11 ½) which allow him to create leverage at the line of scrimmage by keeping his opponent off his torso and steering them to the side. He has good strength at the point-of-contact which allows him to set the edge on defense and anchor. Tapper also plays the game hard on every down while exhibiting good instincts with his ability to quickly locate the ball.
He is explosive and quick off the ball able to convert speed into power and become an effective bull rusher. His 4.59-second 40-yard dash was the fastest at the combine for the defensive line group and his 1.59-second 10-yard split is indicative of the type of short-area quickness he possesses.
While his sack numbers weren’t eye-popping, as a Sooner, he has the ability to affect the game in other ways like getting his arms up to bat the ball down at the line of scrimmage and his penchant to jar the ball free, Tapper led the Big-12 with four forced fumbles in 2015.
As previously mentioned, his inconsistency in production along with flawed technique lead some to question Tapper’s legitimacy as a pass rushing prospect at the next level. However, some of that lack in production can be attributed to the type of scheme and role Tapper was asked to play in at Oklahoma.
Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops utilized Tapper as a defensive end in his 3-3-5 scheme and asked him to play more of a two-gap system (where he controls the point of attack and plays either side of his blocker) instead of consistently allowing him to use his quickness and explosiveness to get up-field after the quarterback.
With Dallas though, particularly with defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s preference for an attacking up the field defensive lineman, Tapper will have chances to show off that speed and first-step explosion as he will be expected to get off the ball quickly and attack a pre-determined gap in hopes of getting into the backfield and pressuring the quarterback.
Plus, with Marinelli as his coordinator Tapper will have one of the better, if not the best, defensive line coaches in the NFL to help coach him up and improve his technique and develop him into a more consistent performer.
With the Cowboys dilemma at defensive end, early speculation is that the coaches might ask veteran Tyrone Crawford to move back outside (He is a former defensive end who last season was moved inside to tackle) to his old position at end to help offset the loss of Lawrence and Gregory. While Crawford would present a viable option at end on first and second downs he simply is not an explosive pass rushing threat off the edge.
Which opens up the possibility of Tapper rotating in on passing downs and utilizing him as a situational pass rusher and allowing Crawford to move back inside.
Whether it’s as a situational pass rusher or base defensive end Charles Tapper has an excellent opportunity to impress the coaching staff and to make an immediate impact on the Cowboys as a rookie. Especially considering that Gregory’s status on the roster, even after the suspension, has yet to be determined. Tapper can go a long way in cementing a permanent role on the defensive unit for Dallas.
Many, myself included, felt that Tapper was one of the more underrated defenders in the 2016 draft and one of the better third-day selections overall. This break can be his chance to prove it.

Sam Bradford the clear top QB
For those expecting to see Wentz (North Dakota State) change the mind of the coaching staff with a great camp, it doesn’t appear likely. Bradford is running with the first team, and his accuracy stands out above the rest of the quarterbacks. There are some growing pains in the new offense, and Bradford admitted as much in his post-practice remarks. They’re still getting on the same page with regard to mastering the concepts and seeing the defense through the same eyes.
Chase Daniel (Chiefs), not Wentz, is seeing the second-team reps, and he had a rough day during our short viewing. He threw behind receivers twice for interceptions, and forced a number of other passes into coverage that also had a good chance of being intercepted.
Wentz had an up-and-down day, as evidenced by a mis-timed overthrow on a red zone post during seven-on-seven that was followed immediately by a well-placed corner route on the very next play. He had a similar back-to-back sequence with a nicely-thrown touchdown followed by a mis-read of coverage in which he forced the ball into tight coverage for an interception. Wentz showed good touch on a number of passes on Thursday, but also forced others while throwing inaccurately on short passes and when on the move. On open short passes, he was off from a ball-location standpoint, placing it in suboptimal locations for receivers to catch and turn upfield. It’s the kind of inconsistency that is expected from a rookie quarterback, so when looking through that lens, it was more positive than negative for Wentz.
Bradford is clearly the starter heading into the season, and if he gets more help from his receivers, the statistics will look much better. Last season, he ranked 11th in overall grade among QBs, but throwing to one of the league’s worst receiving corps led to a passer rating of 86.4 that ranked only 26th.

Hogs 2.0 Nastiness Begins To Take Root
Danny Heifetz, Contributing Writer @Redskins
Trent Williams rallied the offensive line around the “Hogs 2.0” mantra in the offseason, and the new mentality is already paying dividends on the field.
Williams has been a captain for each of the last four seasons and consistently been one of the best tackles in the NFL since being drafted in 2010. Like any great player trying to take the next step, Williams sought to make his teammates around him better, so he took it upon himself to gather the offensive line at his brand new training facility in Houston, for offseason workouts.
Quarterbacks often invite receivers to work out together in the offseason to fine-tune route running and timing patterns. Williams saw an opportunity for the offensive line to adopt the same tradition to find a way to relate with each other while also establishing a new mentality for the unit with Hogs 2.0.
“It’s great, you know it’s really the first time since I’ve been here that we’ve gotten together as a group like that for training or anything like that in the offseason and I think it’s really good for unity and chemistry between the line which is something you need to be able to play together at the highest level,” guard Spencer Long said.
The famed original Hogs group of Joe Jacoby, Mark May, George Starke, Russ Grimm and Jeff Bostic, among many others, paved the way to three Super Bowl victories in 1982, 1987 and 1991 and are considered one of the best offensive line units of all time.
“With us having that rich tradition, being Redskins and those guys, I figured there was a way we could channel that, pay our respects to them as well and also try to form my own path by adding a '2.0'because obviously we could never foresee us being as good as those guys, but we can obviously try,” Williams said. “The thing we can take from them is playing with that camaraderie, that intensity, that nastiness they played with on a day to day basis."
Hogs 2.0 has impressed players and coaches throughout the team. Head coach Jay Gruden said it proved Williams has “really taken his leadership role to a new level.” But the biggest supporter of the Hogs revitalization might be the Hogs themselves. Jeff Bostic, the center who anchored the original Hogs for three Super Bowls, was a huge fan of the decision and said this offensive line group reminds him of where the original Hogs group was when they came together.
"I thought it was great,” Bostic said. “Number one, I think Trent Williams is showing a lot of leadership. Secondly, he's playing with a bunch of guys who haven't played with each other much and don't have that cohesive bond and this is a rallying call, wasn't that what we did in '82? We had a bunch of guys that hadn't played together, [Joe] Jacoby, [Russ] Grimm, Maybe in the their second year, I was in my third year, even the reserves. It was a rallying cry for all of them and then (offensive line coach Joe Bugel) made the t-shirt and if you don't have them on during the meeting you were getting fined five dollars. So I guess it was a great rallying call and the rest is history."
Now under the guidance of another gifted offensive line coach in Bill Callahan, the line has changed their technique and started training camp with more aggression. For the running backs, the aggressive attitude and physicality at the point of attack has been evident.
“When they clear up the lane and open it up, that makes it easier for me just to read out plays and when they’re on people and they’re putting body on the body, it’s easier for a running back or any one of our guys to run through a hole,” running back Matt Jones said.
The line’s aggressiveness can be felt on defense, too. Defensive end Chris Baker said there was no question that the line is more physical this year, and that coach Callahan’s technical work has led to significant improvements in the trenches.
“Our offensive line is really good,” Baker said. “The right side of the line, with Moses and Scherff, it’s their second year together and they’re really starting to play well together, and their coach, coach Callahan, is one of the best coaches in the NFL...I think Moses has gotten a little bit more athletic, a lot stronger, and Scherff (has stood out). I play on the left side a lot and I see a lot of improvement and their understanding what’s going on in the offense, they’re making a lot of calls right now so those two guys are really stepping up.”
While the improvements have already been noticeable in the run game and pass protection, the lineman are going to put their heads down (in the mud, of course) and continue building on the progress they have made together.
“(Offseason workouts) were a great experience, we went down there as a group and we got a lot of work done and it shows on the field now,” tackle Ty Nsekhe said. “Hogs 2.0 is a mentality. We’re trying to build on that and take it into the season with us.”

Washington rookie Nila Kasitati’s John Legend singalong goes viral
Steve Helber, The Associated Press
PUBLISHED: August 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm | UPDATED: August 4, 2016 at 5:07 pm
RICHMOND, Va. — If football doesn’t work out, Nila Kasitati might have a future in the entertainment business.
The guard’s rookie skit rendition of John Legend’s “All of Me” Wednesday night in front of Washington Redskins teammates and coaches made him internet famous as video went viral.
Linebacker Will Compton posted video of Kasitati singing and players joining in and waving cell phones around like lighters.
To coach Jay Gruden, it was a highlight of the team’s annual rookie tradition.
“He was good because we’ve had some pretty poor performances up to that point,” Gruden said Thursday. “I think Nate Sudfeld, he didn’t get on TV because he was so bad as a singer. He got booed off the stage. (Receiver Josh) Doctston got booed off the stage. We’ve had a couple guys get booed off the stage, so it’s been a tough crowd.”
Players were all in for Kasitati, an undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma. Compton and tight end Niles Paul asked fans to tag Legend in their tweets so the singer could see Kasitati’s performance.
Kasitati said he sang in church with his brothers as a kid and practiced with fellow guard Shawn Lauvao’s ukulele.
“I got a chance to use it and show a little Aloha sprit to the guys,” Kasitati said. “It got a good response from the guys, everybody was into it and I had everybody singing.”
Kasitati considered defensive lineman Matt Ioannidis’ comedy routine the best rookie skit so far, but that didn’t have the same video impact. Kasitati didn’t expect that kind of reaction or his 15 minutes of fame, but he’ll take it.
“I was sort of surprised,” he said. “The guys sort of helped me out. I don’t know who it was that turned off the lights and then the phones started coming out. That was a lot of fun.”

-- Rookie WR Sterling Shepard muffed a punt — and promptly dropped to the ground to do 10 push-ups as punishment.

-- Eli Manning had a strong practice on Wednesday, as he showed the command of the offense expected from a veteran signal-caller entering his third year in the system. In particular, he connected on two perfect deep balls in team periods, and also scored on a red-zone scramble. One of his newest targets, WR Sterling Shepard (Oklahoma), also had a solid day. It was clear that the rookie had already started to build a strong rapport with Manning, as he took a significant amount of snaps with the starting offense (Odell Beckham Jr. sat out his third-straight practice after being cleated in the leg, but did not look limited when running through drills on his own, separate from the team). The buzz on Shepard was high from coaches and media alike, as it was clear he is expected to make a major contribution this season.

-- McAdoo said he was impressed by what rookie Sterling Shepard was able to do as a receiver with Beckham not available, but it wasn’t all roses and lollipops for the second-round pick. “I didn’t like his kickoff return drill,” McAdoo said sternly. “We talked about that.” . . .

Giants: Rookie Shepard follows Odell's lead
By ART STAPLETON
EAST RUTHERFORD – The tweet from Odell Beckham Jr. didn’t catch Sterling Shepard off guard. There was no surprise at all, actually.
If anything, Shepard was sort of expecting the challenge.
"1306," Beckham wrote in code between Giants teammates, a reference to the receiving yardage he put up during his record-setting rookie season two years ago – plus one yard. "Don’t forget."
Shepard certainly has not, he insisted after Saturday’s practice, embracing the motivational gauntlet from Beckham while promising to do his best to follow his lead.
"We had already talked about it [during spring workouts], and he had told me he wanted me to go get that number, to strive to go get it," Shepard recalled with a smile. "It’s a challenge, but gives me a bar to set, and when you set a bar, you want to set it really high, and that’s pretty darn high.
"If I get anywhere near that, I feel like it’s going to be a good season."
The Giants can only hope, and in reality, there is continued reason for optimism with Beckham, Shepard and Victor Cruz all on the field together yet again Saturday.
As Coughlin’s successor, Giants coach Ben McAdoo was asked Saturday how long it will take for rookies to earn his trust.
"I trust them right now," McAdoo said. "We’re not going to be afraid to play young players here."
First-round pick Eli Apple rotated in with the first-team with starting corners Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins outside.
Third-round pick Darian Thompson has been with the first-team defense at safety alongside Collins since the spring and fourth-round pick B.J. Goodson is competing for the starting middle linebacker job.
"We are really close," Apple said, referring to Shepard, Thompson and himself. "We always talk about what we can do to help this team out. We are talented and we know that, so we are just trying to push each other every day."
Shepard has already opened eyes with exceptional route running, good hands in traffic and breakaway speed. His humility makes the second-round pick from Oklahoma the ideal fit in an offense that features the established star power of Beckham, Cruz and Eli Manning.
Talent doesn’t hurt, of course, and Shepard has a lot of that as well.
Practice opened with Shepard lined up wide right and Beckham split wide left with Cruz in the slot. Cruz’s comeback after missing 26 games the last two seasons due to knee and calf surgeries continued with his second consecutive strong practice without limitation.
When Shepard ran the wrong route during a two-minute drill, there was no ridicule from the sideline. Instead, Beckham and Manning went over the details with Shepard, making sure he understood the right call.
"This group is not really about yelling. There’s not much yelling going on. It’s just coaching you up and just trying to get you right the next time," Shepard said.
"A big thing with me is trying not to make the same mistake twice, so if something does happen, just be able to correct it and be a pro about it."

-- Third-year [Bears] defensive back Demontre Hurst has played both nickel corner and safety for the Bears, and the results have been positive when he’s been on the field. He’s likely to be in a camp battle with Callahan for nickel corner duties and will serve as a valuable backup and versatile secondary player. He’s experienced the highs and lows of life in the NFL — he’s been cut four times during his career in Chicago — but he seems to have settled into a bonafide role as a depth player and special teams contributor. He’ll make the team.

-- Gabe Ikard - Continued to share time with [Lions] first team, a trend that just keeps going.

-- Swanson did hold off A'Shawn Robinson in his first snap at the drill and remains the favorite to start at center this fall. Robinson barreled over backup Gabe Ikard on his next step, while rookie center Graham Glasgow didn't take a rep at the drill.

Prince: All 3 guys responding to competition at center
Tim Twentyman, Senior Writer
There's no better competition along the Detroit Lions' offensive line than at the center position.
Travis Swanson, Gabe Ikard and rookie third-round draft pick Graham Glasgow are in a tight competition a week into training camp for not just the starting spot, but the pecking order after that.
“I feel all three players are going to get better and I think whoever emerges out of it is going to have their game at a higher level than maybe anyone anticipated,” offensive line coach Ron Prince told detroitlions.com.
As it stands right now, Swanson, the incumbent starter from a season ago, is ahead, but it’s a close competition with four preseason games and a month more of practice still to go.
“Travis is the guy who’s got the experience,” Prince said. “He’s the guy who’s been in the huddle. He’s the guy that’s been there working with Matt (Stafford). He knows a lot of the defensive looks and calls. Because of that, you have to say he has a little bit of a leg or lead on these guys, but the other two guys are very talented.
“If they have the same number of reps. If they get the same exposures. Will they show the things he shows? It’s absolutely a great competition and all three guys are responding.
“I’m really pleased with how that’s going. As we get closer we’ll have to make a decision.”
In drafting Glasgow, the Lions felt they needed to push that group through competition to make it stronger -- see who would rise up. In the process, they’re also building depth at the position, which is sometimes rare in this league.
“There’s competition on the board everywhere,” Swanson said. “It’s going to be like that year in and year out. The only thing that this group can control -- the individuals in it -- is what you can control. That’s our mindset.”
It's one competition to keep a close eye on over the next month because it could really go one of three different ways.

-- Veteran [Falcons] Chris Chester lined up at right guard with the starting unit. Mike Person worked with the second team.

Daryl Williams Getting Looks With the Ones
Last year Dave Gettleman used his ammo towards the bottom of the draft to move up for Oklahoma mauler Daryl Williams. While Mike Remmers was adequate last season, the right tackle was exposed in the Super Bowl. With a team like Carolina being so deep, Williams has a chance to slide into the starting role.
The first few days of training camp has shown us the Panthers coaches may be wanting to fast-track Williams into a starting role sooner rather than later. If not for an injury week one against Jacksonville, Williams may have gotten onto the field sooner. Williams has been taking reps with the first, second, and third strings, which indicates that he is being given ample opportunity to get on the field for the Panthers come September.
The 23-year old lineman possesses the ideal size and strength to be a solid right tackle for Carolina for years, which would pair nicely with the inside trio of Andrew Norwell, Ryan Kalil, and Trai Turner.

-- The last of the [Panthers DB] rookie trio, Zack Sanchez, has also received high praise from both the coaching staff and the media. During Monday’s practice, Sanchez reportedly showed off his coverage skills with a pass breakup on Devin Funchess. Even with Sanchez not having the size of the other two rookies, primarily why he is viewed as a future nickel guy for Carolina, Sanchez was able to use his technique to punch the ball out.

-- On Monday, the young secondary was on display as the vocal leader of the unit, Kurt Coleman, was given a vet day. Worley nabbed his second interception of camp picking off Cam Newton. Fifth round pick Zack Sanchez had a nice day with a pass-breakup of a long pass from Newton intended for Devin Funchess.
Sanchez is learning both cornerback and the nickel position while second round pick Bradberry and Worley are solely focusing on cornerback.
“All three look very confident,” Rivera said. “Zack (Sanchez) is really being taxed, he’s asked to do a lot and he’s handled it very well. That’s a feather in his cap.”

Zack Sanchez Emerges from Panthers' Cornerback Competition
Associated Press
The Carolina Panthers decided to part ways with emerging cornerback Josh Norman earlier this offseason. Rather than look to the depths of free agency to bolster its secondary, the team drafted a trio of young cornerbacks as reinforcements.
In the second round, the Panthers took Samford's James Bradberry. In Round 3, it was West Virginia product Daryl Worley. In the fifth round, the Panthers grabbed Oklahoma's Zack Sanchez.
While we're used to seeing second- and third-round picks become early NFL contributors, it can be a tad surprising to see third-day guys emerge as rookies. However, this could be exactly what happens in Carolina if Sanchez continues to stand out in camp.
All three rookie corners have been making plays in camp, but Sanchez has been doing it from a different position.
The smaller (5'11", 185 lbs) Sanchez has been working primarily at nickelback, and he could realistically start there as a rookie. If the Panthers start veterans Bene Benwikere and Robert McClain on the outside, Sanchez would be a natural fit inside. At least, that's where the Carolina coaching staff has been preparing the rookie.
“The guy that’s got the hardest job right now is probably Zack because we’re asking him to learn so much. Not just playing corner, but playing nickel,” Panthers head coach Ron Rivera said, per Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer. “So he’s being taxed right now mentally and physically, having to do the different things and it’s calling for different skill sets.”
If Sanchez can handle the challenge, he'll get every opportunity to be the most impactful rookie in the Carolina secondary this year.

Bucs’ Praise McCoy’s Leadership, Work Ethic
by Zach Shapiro
August 4, 2016 12:50 pm
The Bucs best players are setting the tone at practice and Dirk Koetter couldn’t ask for anything more at this point.
After laughing off the idea that Jameis Winston, who’s known to arrive at the facility at dawn, could possibly wear himself out by training too hard before practice, the head coach pivoted to the defensive side of the ball. At which point he praised Gerald McCoy.
“I worry about (Winston) staying out there after practice for an hour in the sun talking to too many people. But I don’t worry about him being in here working on his craft,” Koetter said Thursday. “I think that’s a huge, huge positive and you want the leader of your team to be one of the hardest workers.
“While we’re on that subject, Gerald McCoy could not be setting a better practice pace than he is. That guy is dominating in practice every day. When your best players are also your best practice-players, it sets a great example for your team.”
As it relates to team leadership, the focus over the past week has been on Winston – from his command of the offense to his motivational text messages to teammates off the field. But this wasn’t the first time someone deflected leadership praise from Winston to McCoy. In fact, Koetter seemed to be echoing Winston’s remarks from the first training camp practice last Thursday.
The second-year quarterback said he sought out advice from the four-time Pro Bowler this offseason.
“I talked to him after the season just to get his insight on how I was as a leader,” Winston said last Thursday. “Gerald is a great leader to this team. You should’ve seen him out here working with Noah Spence and Kourtnei Brown – the things he put into these players. Even me, when I first got here he put so much into me.
“I just told him, ‘Keep doing it, bring it up a notch, step it up’, just like I have to do, just like we all have to.”
McCoy hasn’t let up. The defensive captain can be seen running through extra reps after practice most days and it’s reflective of his continued dominance in his seventh camp.
“Gerald is playing tremendous football,” said Ali Marpet, who often lines up against McCoy. “I mean he’s so freaking fast and he’s messing up a lot of things were doing. But its only making us better, which is awesome. He’s going to give a lot of people problems this year.”
Added Lavonte David, who has a unique view of McCoy and the defensive line when they take the field: “His get off is amazing, his motor is amazing and he’s disrupting plays in the backfield. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. We expect Gerald to do that but it’s not going unnoticed.
“Great things to come from him this season.”
That would be a great start for the Bucs defense.

-- [Bucs] Rookie linebacker Devante Bond looks slow trying to cover [Charles] Sims out of the backfield. Real slow on this play.

Cardinals training camp battles: Jermaine Gresham vs. Darren Fells
By: Jack London| July 31, 2016 4:31 pm ET
The Cardinals should have many battles over the course of training camp and the preseason. However, it’s nice when that battle is only to determine the starter. That is the case here with Jermaine Gresham and Darren Fells.
Both should make the team (unless something unforeseen happens). Both played about the same amount last year, as Arizona runs many two tight end sets. And both have their respective specialties.
Gresham is the more known commodity. In fact, according to Pro Football Focus, only Rob Gronkowski and Craig Stevens had a better blocking rating.
Arians loves tight ends that can block, but the former first-round pick can also catch. He had 62 catches with Cincinnati before last season with Arizona. Not only that, but he turned down better offers to play elsewhere.
Fells is the wild card. The former Portland State basketball player has come on the last couple of seasons, scoring touchdowns in both postseasons. He’s come a long way in his blocking, and his knowledge of the game is starting to catch up to his athleticism. Many people wonder whether he can be an Antonio Gates. That may be overdoing it a bit, but the comparison has been made at times.
Both players will essentially be starters, as Arizona does play two tight ends rather than a fullback. And both players have proven to be reliable and good blockers. This is a win-win for both, and it’s not clear if there will be a winner or not. It’s possible that Arians will just play the matchups.
Still, it’s nice to have two reliable tight ends in your arsenal, and that should comfort Arians. And Cardinals fans.

-- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver John Brown was placed in the league's concussion protocol.
Brown absorbed a big hit from safety Tony Jefferson during a two-minute drill in Sunday's practice and hit his head on the turf, coach Bruce Arians told reporters. The 26-year-old Brown was able to walk off the field under the watch of a trainer.

Cardinals training camp battles: Tyvon Branch v. Tony Jefferson v. D.J. Swearinger
By: Jack London| July 31, 2016 4:26 pm ET
The fun part about training camp is the unknowns. One of the big unknowns in Arizona’s defense is who will start at safety. Technically, Tyrann Mathieu is a safety, but will play corner in their base defense a lot, so in reality, you have three guys fighting for two starting spots: Tyvon Branch, Tony Jefferson, and D.J. Swearinger.
Cardinals fans will be very familiar with Jefferson, who has spent the last three years trying to make an kind of impact. The diminutive playmaker isn’t afraid to throw his body around, even when he is outsized in coverage. He truly has given his heart and soul for the Cards.
Tyvon Branch was signed this offseason after playing for Oakland and Kansas City. He’s known for his speed, which shouldn’t come as a surprise that Arizona pursued him. One of the big things that Keim said they were looking for was speed in the secondary. It killed them against Carolina, and it’s a good possibility why Branch was brought in to possibly replaced the beloved Rashad Johnson. Branch also seems to have the versatility Arizona craves, as it was mentioned he could play some slot corner as well.
D.J. Swearinger was a late add last season because of injury after he was cut by Houston and Tampa Bay. Swearinger had plenty of opportunities for playing time however, and proved he belonged in a crowded secondary.
It’s nice to have some many options and to have depth in the secondary if you’re Arizona. Still, it’s going to be a tough call between these three.
If it’s any indication from how training camp has started, Tony Jefferson appears to be the starter at one spot for now, according to CardsWire’s Jess Root. Swearinger was the starter one day, and Branch the next.
That may not mean anything, however. There were rumors this offseason that Arizona didn’t really value Jefferson, even though he has played well. What will be interesting is to see who starts during the preseason.
All three should have no problems making the team (Rookie Marqui Christian is the only other safety outside of the Honey Badger that would most likely make the team). This should take the pressure off all three guys and allow them to just play their best, making this a fun battle to watch.

Top 10 49ers to watch this season
By Bay Area Sports Guy
Posted on August 1, 2016
9. Blake Bell
Vance McDonald is the big dude who gets open fairly frequently, but has granite hands. Garrett Celek is the steady, prototypical tight end who would’ve dominated in the 1980s on Bill Walsh’s teams. Bruce Miller is the … well, who knows what to make of Miller, a nice “sneak attack” receiving threat who’s being forced to become a full-time tight end because Chip Kelly is one of several coaches who thinks fullbacks are unnecessary.
Bell is taller than McDonald (who’s a little faster and has longer arms), and his hands are better. The tight ends will probably get a ton of targets this season, just because the receiving corps is so underwhelming, and I have a feeling Bell might be the breakout star (relatively speaking) of the bunch. For just learning the position late in his collegiate career, he looked pretty comfortable over the last six games of his rookie season (12 catches, 169 yards).

Which [49ers] tight end will start?
The Vernon Davis era is over in San Francisco and there is no clear starter entering camp. Vance Mcdonald, the team’s second pick a few years back showed flashes of why he was picked so high at the end of last season. Garrett Celek played well down the stretch and 2015 fourth round pick Blake Bell had a good minicamp earlier this year. The competition could come down to who blocks better in Chip Kelly’s run based offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News