ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Sooner Blurbs (6/26)

OUBeliever

Sooner starter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Tulsa, OK
  • While Landry Jones has the experience, both Murphy and Gardner are much more athletic. That might be attractive to Mike Tomlin and don’t be surprised if either is kept aboard as the #3 quarterback. Jones has his work cut out for him and will have to have a superb camp and pre-season to hold onto his job. In past years, his inconsistency was his downside.
  • [Jags Potential Breakout Players]: Aaron Colvin. You didn’t hear as much about Colvin or other defensive players during OTAs and minicamps as you did offensive players. That’s the nature of offseason work, during which it’s far easier to evaluate and discuss offense. There’s a lot to like about the Jaguars’ young secondary. Dwayne Gratz, Demetrius McCray, Davon House all drew praise from coaches. That already makes the cornerback position a deep group, and coaches like Gratz’s progress. Colvin’s presence makes it even deeper. He began the offseason working at the nickelback position, and it’s likely he opens training camp there. But the way Colvin is progressing, it’s also likely the Jaguars get him on the field as much as possible. [OUB: This would be huge for OU--never having had a successful NFL CB during the Stoops Era.]

• For Curtis Lofton, this will be his first season wearing silver and black, but he is bringing with him years of highly productive play. In his first seven season with Atlanta and New Orleans, Lofton averaged 89 tackles a season and started 111 of his 112 games played. So not only is he productive, but you can count on him to be there ever Sunday and be the quarterback of the defense.

Del Rio’s system will benefit Lofton in particular since middle linebacker is a key component to the overall scheme. Del Rio had great success with Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan in Denver and also Daryl Smith in Jacksonville. So there’s a good chance Lofton can be in the top 10 in tackles this coming season.

• The biggest concern for the Raiders defense is where the pressure will come from the defensive line. The overall pass-rushing prowess from defensive tackles Dan Williams, Justin Ellis and Stacy McGee is basically nil, and rookie end Mario Edwards Jr. is also a run-stopper. Star linebacker Khalil Mack will need help creating pressure from his linemen.

• If the Philadelphia Eagles want to contend in 2015, it is imperative that quarterback Sam Bradford stays healthy. He’s talented enough to be their franchise quarterback, but his long injury history is troublesome. Keeping Bradford upright as much as possible must be the top offensive goal in training camp.

• [NFL QBs with Most Shaky Futures] 6. Sam Bradford, Philadelphia. It may not be Bradford's fault that injuries derailed his career in St. Louis, but it is his problem. The Eagles think Chip Kelly's fast-paced offense will be a good fit for him, but regardless of the offense or his health, at some point, Bradford must perform like the former first pick he was. In an earlier NFL era, teams would have had near unlimited patience with a talent like Bradford, but not in today's game.

• Philadelphia Eagles: Five Best 1st-Round Picks Of Last Decade
    Drew Hamm - Jun 19, 4:23 PM
    4) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma, 4th overall in 2013 Draft
    Monster right tackle Lane Johnson has started every game he’s been eligible to play in since being drafted by Philadelphia in 2013. He served a four-game suspension to start the 2014 season due to a PED violation. Johnson played quarterback, tight end, defensive line and finally offensive line during his career at Oklahoma and that versatility piqued the Eagles’ interest. In the 12 games he started last year, Johnson only allowed one sack and is expected to help anchor a reshuffled Philadelphia offensive line this year.

• Eagles Wake-Up Call: Can Lane Johnson Make the Leap?
    By Sheil Kapadia | June 25, 2015 at 6:00 am

In some ways, Lane Johnson has become a forgotten man on the Eagles offensive line.

Jason Kelce has emerged as a team spokesman of sorts. Jason Peters gets national accolades every year. And there’s been plenty of talk about Allen Barbre and Matt Tobin, guys who will be asked to take on bigger roles in 2015.

Many expected Johnson to make the second-year leap in 2014, but he was suspended for the first four games of the season and couldn't even be in the team facility until the end of September.

"You could tell in the first game that he had been away from it a little bit in the Rams game," said offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland. "And then you could see as the year went on he progressively improved and got better."

Johnson improved in pass protection, and while he was fine as a run blocker, he's yet to become a consistent, dominating force. This offseason, he decided to try something new, spending time at Jay Glazer's Unbreakable Performance Center in West Hollywood, Calif.

"I just wanted to do something different," Johnson said. "A lot of guys will hit the weights and get strong like that, but when they come out here, they can’t utilize it. So I just wanted to do something to get better with my hips and get better with my hands. As far as conditioning wise, that’s why I went out there.

"A lot of stuff we did there is a lot of body on body work, like wrestling and stuff like that, same stuff we’re doing out here. Run blocking, we’re body on body, so it just gives you a way to get functional strength involved instead of always lifting and doing stuff like that."

The New York Times got an up-close look at Johnson's training regimen:

“Mr. Glazer then turned his attention to the Eagles’ Mr. Johnson, putting him through a pummeling drill drawn from Greco-Roman wrestling. Mr. Glazer is fond of reminding people that he’s “a 5-foot-7-inch Jew” (except when he says he’s 5-foot-7⅛), so his matchup with the 6-foot-6, 320-pound Mr. Johnson looked approximately like a dachshund taking on a Great Dane. But Mr. Glazer was relentless, and for Mr. Johnson to triumph, he had to get his hips lower than Mr. Glazer’s, no mean feat. In his first two days of training with Mr. Glazer, Mr. Johnson threw up nine times from his efforts to hold his own.”

Given the uncertainty at both guard spots, the Eagles need Johnson to take another step in his development. The plan seems clear: continue to grow at right tackle, and eventually take over for Jason Peters on the left side.

"I feel quick, I’ve been playing real low, my hands have been good," Johnson said. "So I feel like I’m right where I need to be."

Asked what Johnson needs to do to take the next step, Peters said, "Just keep doing what he’s doing. He’s a hard worker. He always listens to me. I give him different pointers, and he takes it out there on the field and just lets it go. I just tell him try not to dwell on one play and keep it moving."

Given his elite athleticism and willingness to take coaching, Johnson's ceiling is high.

"Lane is a pleasure to coach," Stoutland said. "He really believes in what the coaches are telling him. We had an issue today where I said something to him, and immediately the next play he did what we asked him to and he had success. ...He trusts us when we tell him something and what we’re seeing."

• Here are the most fascinating NFL players of 2015, Schein Nine style:
    DeMarco Murray, RB, Philadelphia Eagles
    For so many reasons, Murray tops the charts for me.

First of all, I think Dallas made a major miscalculation in letting the reigning rushing king and Offensive Player of the Year walk in free agency. The Cowboys didn't want to overpay a running back, essentially banking on the assumption that anyone can put up stats behind the best offensive line in football.

So the onus is on Murray to prove Dallas wrong and make Chip Kelly out to be a genius. And I'd have a difficult time betting against the 27-year-old back.

I believe Kelly was brilliant in dealing LeSean McCoy for linebacker Kiko Alonso and then signing Murray to replace the fan favorite in the backfield. This made Philadelphia better in two areas. Murray is a superior, more physical runner than McCoy, and his north-south, one-cut style is a more ideal fit in Kelly's offense. And Alonso significantly upgrades the linebacking corps. Just ask inside linebackers coach Rick Minter.

"He's going to be a big help for us," Minter said in March, per PhiladelphiaEagles.com. "He does all the things that we want our linebackers to do. He's big, he's tall and he moves side to side and attacks the football. He's really the prototype of what we're looking for inside."

But of course, Eagles fans will not be patient with Murray, after Kelly's reshaping of the roster (and jettisoning of Pennsylvania kid McCoy). So the new bell-cow back had better get off to a nice start in 2015.

One thing that really worries me about this offense (and team as a whole) is the quarterback situation, with a depth chart that includes oft-injured and invisible Sam Bradford, Mark "Mr. Buttfumble" Sanchez and the polarizing one, Tim Tebow. I want to believe Kelly's offense will be potent as usual, but the QB position is questionable -- at best. I loved what Kelly did this offseason except at the QB spot. That's kind of a big deal. And that uncertainty puts even more pressure on Murray to carry the offense.

I'm so interested to see how this plays out in Philly -- and Dallas, for that matter.

Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings
    I penned a column earlier this month about the Vikes being a surprise playoff team, largely because Peterson's back in the fold. At his press conference upon returning to work, Peterson said all the right things about what he learned after missing the final 15 games of 2014 following his indictment for reckless or negligent injury to a child. He seems genuine when he talks about becoming a better parent in the wake of everything.

I expect Peterson to put together an MVP-caliber season in 2015. After what was essentially a year off, those legs are fresh -- and the sky's the limit for this generational talent.

• The Lions love to pass the ball. If I were Matthew Stafford, I would too; targets like Calvin Johnson, the NFL’s best receiver, and Golden Tate, a dynamic slot/split hybrid, make the passing game a joy. Inside, Stafford has a number of tight ends to throw to, including Eric Ebron, Joseph Fauria, and Brandon Pettigrew. But who will step up and fill a crucial role behind those playmakers? Look no further than Ryan Broyles, a fourth-year receiver out of Oklahoma whose struggled through injuries in his young NFL career. According to reports, he looked excellent during minicamp, catching almost everything thrown his way and winning a good portion of his one-on-one matchups.

• [Vikings] Offensively, the biggest question mark now is the line. Left tackle Matt Kalil was terrible last season, while right tackle Phil Loadholt is coming off pectoral surgery that ended his season last November. Guard Brandon Fusco missed the last 13 games with the same injury and is dealing with a move to left guard from right guard. And right guard is, well, very much up in the air between rookies T.J. Clemmings and Tyrus Thompson, unproven second-year pro David Yankey and safe, fallback option Joe Berger, the 33-year-old interior utility man.

• The Vikings spent the spring shuffling young offensive linemen in and out of the starting group. David Yankey, T.J. Clemmings and Tyrus Thompson all got first-team reps at guard. Throughout minicamp, it was Thompson who held down the vacant right guard spot with Yankey splitting time with Brandon Fusco, who wasn’t being given a full workload, at left guard. Based on that, Thompson might have the edge at right guard, but truthfully, it is too early to say. The Vikings want to see these young linemen in pads. And if none of them secures the job in training camp and in early preseason games, they could go with Joe Berger at guard. He was the second-team center this spring because the Vikings know what they have there.

• Rookie tackle Thompson getting chance to start at guard for Vikings
    Brian Hall
    FOX Sports North
    JUN 23, 2015 5:00p ET

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- When the Minnesota Vikings made Oklahoma's Tyrus Thompson a sixth-round draft pick, the big tackle was seen as another option in a deeper offensive line, a player who could potentially fill multiple positions.

Minnesota was searching for a starting guard, however Thompson was a late-round pick who had spent his entire college career as a tackle. In fact, the Vikings left the draft with three offensive tackles and no assurances at guard, aside from the dependability of veteran backup Joe Berger.

Soon after the draft, Minnesota's plans for its rookie tackles began to take shape. Fourth-round pick T.J. Clemmings got a chance with the first-team offensive line during organized team activities. By the time minicamp rolled around last week, the Vikings had another rookie trying his hand at guard -- Thompson.

"Never in my life," Thompson said when asked if he had played guard before. "But there was a time I never played tackle before either."

Thompson practiced throughout the team's three days of minicamp as the right guard with the starting offensive line. Brandon Fusco's move from right guard to left guard has led to a rotation on the right side as Minnesota tries to solidify the spot where Fusco has started the past three seasons.

When the Vikings begin the season, a rookie could find himself along a constant line with left tackle Matt Kalil, Fusco, center John Sullivan and right tackle Phil Loadholt.

"All of us guys kind of move around," Thompson said. "They're trying to see what we can do, where we'll be valuable at. I think it's a great opportunity for me right now at that right guard spot, especially trying to get on the field right now as a rookie on top of that. There's no pride in 'Oh, I'm a tackle' all that stuff. I want to get on the field and I want to play."

After the draft, general manager Rick Spielman said Clemmings could play left or right tackle, while Thompson and Austin Shepherd (seventh round) were tackles who could potentially slide inside to play guard. Guard was still seen as, possibly, the biggest hole on Minnesota's roster.

The Vikings' drafting of tackles surely came with the idea of its guard spot in mind.

"The challenge is getting the five best playing and then getting them comfortable playing the position," offensive coordinator Norv Turner said last week. "We've used this work to try to get a feel for these guys and the best feel you can get for them is their athleticism and how quickly they learn and how quickly they adjust."

Thompson, Clemmings and Shepherd have all seen time at guard. And the Vikings still have much to determine before the season begins.

"The whole thing changes when we go to camp," Turner said. "They put the pads on, it's a totally different deal and we're lucky in that we have real good depth in the defensive line, so we're able to evaluate these linemen against very good players. It's going to be very competitive and I think we'll come out of it with a very good starting offensive line and I think we will have a lot better depth than we had a year ago."

Thompson has been relying on help from Sullivan and Loadholt as he makes the transition. He practiced at left guard in the team's rookie minicamp but had been back at tackle, mostly on the left side, until coaches gave him another chance at guard at the end of the OTAs. He remained there for minicamp.

Asked what's more natural, the 6-foot-5, 309-pound Thompson replied, "offensive line," with a big smile.

"The biggest difference I would say, I mean, it's all a lot faster in the NFL, period, but just the speed of how quick things happen," he said. "In the inside, guys are right there on you right now already and so it's just a matter of almost knowing to expect what will happen. Versus on the outside, the guys are fast on the outside but you have a little bit more space because you're kicking off the ball instead of flatter to keep the pocket more shallow."

Thompson had started 13 games at left tackle last season at Oklahoma and was a first-team, All-Big 12 selection. He feels his move to the NFL has been seamless.

"I have high expectations," Thompson said. "I don't ever expect to not be able to do something. For me, I think I'm on track of what I expected myself to do. I'm just going to keep working hard to impress the coaches and make sure I'm delivering what they want."

Thompson gets some time away now, as he returns home to Oklahoma and his wife and kids. His NFL opportunity is just beginning.

"This is the longest I've ever been away from my wife and kids," Thompson said. "As a person, I'm the same guy, got a little bit more money in my pockets than I ever have. It's just been a great learning experience learning from these guys and just living on with the dream I had as a little kid."

Maybe just in a different position than the one in which he pictured his NFL dream coming true.

• Projected [Falcons] starting offensive line: Jake Matthews-Chris Chester-Joe Hawley-Jon Asamoah-Ryan Schraeder
    Chris Chester is the new name here, having recently been signed after the Washington Redskins released him as they shift from a zone scheme towards a more gap blocking scheme. I wouldn’t call him a liability but don’t expect an Asamoah-like level of play. He should be OK, maybe a little below average

• To help ease the pressure off quarterback Matt Ryan, the Atlanta Falcons must enter the season with a healthy offensive line. The unit as a whole looks good on paper, with the exception of left guard. For the Falcons to have a standout group, either free-agent addition Chris Chester or Mike Person must step up and be relatively decent.

• Chris Chester was brought in [to Atlanta] to start at left guard. Chester hasn’t played well since 2012 when he allowed only one sack and had plus value as a run blocker. Last year with the Washington Redskins, Chester allowed five sacks, three QB hits and 16 QB hurries while being a liability in run blocking.

• [Panthers] At right tackle there will be a battle between three players. Veterans Mike Remmers and Nate Chandler must hold off rookie Daryl Williams. Don’t be surprised if Williams eventually takes over with his punishing downhill style that fits the Panthers’ running mentality.

• As they promised, the Panthers kept Remmers as the top right tackle during the spring. But it’s reasonable to wonder how long he’s just keeping that spot warm for fourth-round pick Daryl Williams, who’s built like a brick house.

• In the fourth round, Carolina tried to address its offensive line with guard Daryl Williams. He’ll have the most value in a quick-hitting power run game. His pass-blocking skills have limited upside due to questions regarding his speed and athletic ability. [OUB: I disagree with that]

• The [Bucs DL] interior can be one of the best in football. McCoy is a dominant interior pass rusher, and Clinton McDonald maintained his production after trading in a more talented supporting cast with the Seattle Seahawks, his previous team. Henry Melton will give the Bucs a nice tackle rotation. Tampa Bay is still in need of long-term answers at defensive end, relying on fourth-round pick Kwon Alexander and journeyman Jacquies Smith to provide pressure.

• [Cards] Then there is Tony Jefferson at safety. Deone Bucannon may have something to say about the position before it is all said and done but I will give the nod to Jefferson for now. Rashad Johnson is Mathieu’s main competition at free safety.

• The Belldozer: Bell's journey plowing through obstacles to make NFL
    FOX Sports
    JUN 22, 2015 8:11p ET

San Francisco 49ers fans are about to learn what Oklahoma Sooners fans experienced over the last four years: Blake Bell will pursue his goals no matter the obstacle placed in front of him.

The 6-foot-6, 259-pounder earned the nickname "Belldozer" because of his physical, pounding, straight-ahead runs as a goal-line and short-yardage option at quarterback. His stint at Oklahoma's starting quarterback was shorter than expected, but it only fueled him to become a draft-worthy tight end for his senior season.

The nickname started with the media my freshman year," Bell recently told 49ers.com in an in-depth piece tracing Bell's winding pass from play-caller to pass-catcher. "The media came up with three ideas and ultimately landed on ‘Belldozer.’ The fans caught on and it stuck."

Bell believed he would be the Sooners' starting quarterback early on and lead OU to greatness. But injuries and other factors intervened. The quarterback carousel that ensued was tough on Bell and the entire family, his father Mark said.

"It was devastating to Blake and to us," Mark Bell told 49ers.com. "Blake worked so hard and he felt like he paid his dues. It was a hard thing for him and our family."

He worked equally hard to make it as a tight end once the writing was on the wall at quarterback. And that's the position the 49ers will groom Bell to play. They looked beyond his 16 receptions last season and believed enough in his size, speed and his potential to block NFL linemen and catch the football in open spaces to draft him in the fourth round.

Not so unlike his father, who is also 6-5 and was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the fourth round in 1979.

"He’s a guy that can do a lot of things. His blocking will only get better the more he does it," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops told 49ers.com of Blake Bell. "He’s always been a physical and tough guy. It’s one of those things that just takes time to keep working it. He’s such a big target and has such good hands that quarterbacks like seeing him down there.

"He's got the smarts. He's a team guy. That's what NFL guys look at."

• Which 49er Rookie Will Contribute the Most?
    5. TE Blake Bell
    As mentioned in Rory Anderson’s capsule, tight end is a very crowded position for San Francisco. However, Blake Bell has better hands than some of the guys above him, including Vance McDonald and Derek Carrier. The only thing holding him back from earning the second tight-end role is a lack of experience at the position, especially in terms of blocking—Bell is a converted quarterback.

If he can prove his blocking is only subpar rather than terrible, Bell might well rise to that second tight-end position this season. Even if he doesn’t, he could take Derek Carrier’s role on special teams. Bell is the first name on this list with a real chance of leading the team in snaps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News