ADVERTISEMENT

Newest college football polls OU #3 Okie State #15

Very generous for OU, not that it matters right now.

Clemson was tied7-7 in the 3rdquarter
Southern Cal was tied13-13 n the 4th Quarter
Penn State behind won their game on the last play in the game.

Herbie said congratulations to OU & the other high ranked teams coming back to win

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Cal and Iowa entered their games with USC and Penn State with 3-0 records.

And Baylor entered our game with a new very talented QB

Herbstreit nailed it when he said about top five "just win"
Last season's National Champion Clemson had five games some vs. weak teams they barely won.

It's abundantly clear that Big 12 offenses are potent...way more than any other conference. Sooners had a bad game. I just don't think it is time to throw out this Sooners team as an overrated fraud. The Big 12 isn't going to be a problem just like 2016. If anything is true about this year, it is that the conference will be generally weaker. With exception of TCU. The road is long...

Reactions: iasooner1
I may be the only one but I think the OSU drop was a little to much for losing to a very good TCU team. I think they are more than capable of beating anyone (Except OU I hope ) ranked above them. We all know had OSU been in the SEC that drop would have been very little with a loss to another ranked team.

Reactions: iasooner1
It's abundantly clear that Big 12 offenses are potent...way more than any other conference. Sooners had a bad game. I just don't think it is time to throw out this Sooners team as an overrated fraud. The Big 12 isn't going to be a problem just like 2016. If anything is true about this year, it is that the conference will be generally weaker. With exception of TCU. The road is long...

This defense gave up 41 its to a 0 & 3 Baylor team. Do you think an OU defense that gives up 41 will be considered golden and playoff worthy as long as they score 42?

We didn't play the Baylor team that went 0-3. They got six or seven guys back last night. And they changed offenses, back to what Briles liked to do, except for the super wide twins on both sides.

Baylor's new coach went to Waco intending to do what he did at Temple. He had a nice returning quarterback, Smith, but benched him in favor of Solomon, who could run a bit better. They used two backs most of the time, and got pounded. Solomon got hurt. They ditched that last night, and went to almost exclusively one back spreads, with Smith throwing it all over the place. And they have a couple of quality receivers that haven't got much opportunity to show their talents. Last night, they did.

Smith was a gunner, and it's hard to have many change ups when they totally change what they're doing. I wondered if they planned it all along, but I think they just got Solomon hurt and Smith's not a mobile guy. So they went back to what Baylor's been doing for the last few years successfully. Might have even let the players have some input into how to do what they'd done before. It worked pretty well.

They also threw in a nifty little gadget, putting a lineman number on one of their wides and lining him up wide as number 50, an ineligible receiver. That's hard to prepare for when you don't know it's coming. It makes that right side eight end in the tackle slot eligible and because he's not covered. Takes some time to consider how to play it. And it takes away from adjustments elsewhere.

Especially with our DB numbers down, even harder to adjust. They only used the gimmick maybe a half dozen times late first, but it made for a challenge in how to adjust to other stuff. 50 could only catch passes thrown backwards, but they did throw it to him once. And you have to cover him, because otherwise, they can use him as a blocker to outnumber you on that side. It gives you three hot receivers on the other side. They hadn't shown anything close to that before.

If we're not called for holding six or seven times, wrecking several drives, then we don't wear out the Defense, who ended up playing almost 90 snaps. When your DB's are playing almost every snap, it's a problem.

Fortunately, when the game was on the line, they guys sucked it up and played with an intensity we really hadn't seen all night previously. And Obo finally made a play to end it.

OU clearly played a different Baylor team than the one that was 0-3 coming in. We know that if we watched the game.
And, yes, it is all about winning....however ugly.
But OU's team revealed some glaring defensive issues, along with too many penalties, that wold have been fatal against at least 5 other teams on its schedule.
While it is cause for concern and for some refocusing on the part of players and coaches, this Baylor game must serve OU well in future games. Again, it must become a wake up call and rallying cry.

CTOkie here is National Championship Clemson's 2016 Football schedule

Notice the many close games they won some vs weak teams
They also had one loss
Barely beat Troy, Barely beat NC State in Overtime . NC State missed a chip shot FG to win before the OT. Lost to Pitt, other close games Auburn FSU Louisville VT

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-clemson-tigers-football-schedule.php
Bull....
Clemson played two games against teams with losing records in 2016....OU played 6 teams with losing records. Then Clemson mauled Ohio State 31-0 and beat Alabama 35-31 for the MNC.
Troy went 10-3
NC State went 7-6
Pitt went 8-5
Virginia Tech went 10-4
Fla State went 10-3
Louisville went 9-4
Auburn went 8-5
Sure they had close games along the way. That happens when your schedule is made up of 12 teams with winning records.
And here's some history for you: OU's 1975 championship team lost at home to Kansas 23-3....a team that also lost 5 games that year as Pitt did last year when it beat Clemson.

Reactions: BillyRay
It was a sloppy game on both sides, outside of some solid run blocking in the 4th quarter. It happens. Mike's tendencies certainly make me nervous but Gallimore, Lampkin, Murray and Morley's progression through the season could cover that up if Mike chooses to crap his pants against dangerous passing teams.

Baylor will not go winless. Despite how we played, there are some talented guys on that roster. When the dust settles, I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if they take down some of the conference contenders. They have 2 receivers that are matchup nightmares. Better results will come for the Bears (though I hope they lose every game). As a program, you don't go through that without taking hits. It creates chemistry issues.

As for us, hopefully that was the wake-up call we should have got from the 1st half of Tulane, before we lulled ourselves to sleep with a workman like 2nd half that resulted in a lopsided score. It's time to realize that EVERYBODY is coming for us, every week. No half assed efforts will do. Iowa State will come to fight. We need to get better everywhere. The only guy I've seen play as close to flawless as you can get is Orlando, but that attitude he has never sleeps. Baker needs to look for his check downs quicker or be prepared to throw it away. Lincoln needs keep the offense balanced early and, attack the middle of the field and target Andrews and the slots more often. This was the 2nd week in a row where Baker took multiple shots down the sidelines. Flowers out of the backfield is nearly unstoppable. The guy is just slick with his sell. Use it. Get the chains moving early and get the offense flowing. We don't have to score in 3 plays every drive. Offensive line has some holes in their pass blocking at times. Let Sermon do some pounding to get the lineman in the right frame of mind. Defense needs to remain aggressive. Take the fight to them. Get them behind the chains.

A lot of work to do, but outside of Alabama, nobody looks terribly daunting. Clemson's win against Louisville was impressive but their young QB is far from a polished passer. I don't care if we fall a few spots. If we handle our business none of it will matter. Focus on getting better and the rest will take of itself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT