ADVERTISEMENT

New Uniforms for KU game

So, OU has decided to fall in line with all black uniforms like so many others. It's not a good look on any team. OU's colors are crimson and cream.... not black or gray or tan or silver. I think it's bulls't.
I do, however, think Prentice Gautt should be honored at least as much as any of OU's Heisman Trophy winners. I would have simply had the old white helmets with the crimson stripe down the middle and the number "38" on the side to resemble the helmet worn by OU in Gautt's time at OU. I don't need a uniform to be my moral compass.
Alabama does it right. It's simple long-time identity, to me, puts them in a class by themselves and needs no alteration to its uniform. It's Alabama's brand, its culture are what Alabama fans expect to see.
Amen CT…

Reactions: iasooner2000
This was my issue. No names and couldn't see the numbers, especially on TV. The announcers even mentioned that it is a penalty to wear uniforms with unreadable numbers. I've accepted that alternates are with us now for several reasons. The players like them (most important when recruiting nationally), they allow more sales (revenue generation).
The dark gray in general, has grown on me. Just wish they would have outlined the numbers with white to make them legible.
The numbers were outlined in white.

Reactions: humblesooner
This was my issue. No names and couldn't see the numbers, especially on TV. The announcers even mentioned that it is a penalty to wear uniforms with unreadable numbers. I've accepted that alternates are with us now for several reasons. The players like them (most important when recruiting nationally), they allow more sales (revenue generation).
The dark gray in general, has grown on me. Just wish they would have outlined the numbers with white to make them legible.
Hopefully we don’t see them again this season. And whenever we do put the names on the back. Place Unity on another part of the jersey.

Last edited:
And, again, they were not a good way to honor Prentice Gautt or to serve as some sort of moral compass.
Not for two old farts like us…..but I’ve got about 3 or 4 years on you, CT. I probably shouldn’t refer to you as an old fart. Lol

And, again, they were not a good way to honor Prentice Gautt or to serve as some sort of moral compass.
The athletic department is reported to have done a pretty thorough examination of this uniform's popularity. I am told that Gautt's family approved of the dedication and memorial of this uniform's design. If the family approves then all other opinions are just that, opinions.

The color scheme and design has been used by all other OU teams. Softball, baseball, basketball etc. Football was following a trend.

Last edited:
The athletic department is reported to have done a pretty thorough examination of this uniform's popularity. I am told that Gautt's family approved of the dedication and memorial of this uniform's design. If the family approves then all other opinions are just that, opinions.
It is an opinion, like virtually every post on this message board.
No doubt the concept of this uniform passed through several channels to be approved, even without any prominent display of Gautt's uniform number 38 or any resemblance to the uniform Gautt (or any Oklahoma team) wore.

The color scheme and design has been used by all other OU teams. Softball, baseball, basketball etc. Football was following a trend.
If “Gautt’s family approved of the dedication and memorial of this uniform’s design” then I am happy for them. That said, if OU had announced that a special presentation for a past Sooner great would take place last week without anyone knowing which OU great would be honored, it could be argued the uniform would be as appropriate for just about any former Sooner legend. It was that generic. And I’m done.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT