ADVERTISEMENT

New Uniforms for KU game

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
Reactions: iasooner2000
Is this the equivalent of a “rally cap”? Have not seen the Sooners do well at home with alternate uniforms. If players like it, not much other opinions matter.

The student newspaper needs to get their facts straight. It's not that hard to do. Prentice Gautt did not play for the St. Louis Rams. He played primarily for the St. Louis Cardinals football team.
When I was growing up it was always the St. Louis Cardinals. There was also the Phoenix Cardinals.......there were two teams called the Cardinals?

So, OU has decided to fall in line with all black uniforms like so many others. It's not a good look on any team. OU's colors are crimson and cream.... not black or gray or tan or silver. I think it's bulls't.
I do, however, think Prentice Gautt should be honored at least as much as any of OU's Heisman Trophy winners. I would have simply had the old white helmets with the crimson stripe down the middle and the number "38" on the side to resemble the helmet worn by OU in Gautt's time at OU. I don't need a uniform to be my moral compass.
Alabama does it right. It's simple long-time identity, to me, puts them in a class by themselves and needs no alteration to its uniform. It's Alabama's brand, its culture are what Alabama fans expect to see.

Last edited:
I feel the same way, but I do like how these look. Our basketball and softball teams have worn these colors for a couple of seasons now. Let's just hope they are better in these than they were with the roughrider alt uniforms. Guys go play for Saban not because of Bama's uniforms. If they had a 20 yr span of not winning an NC Bama too might be changing its uni's a bit.

So, OU has decided to fall in line with all black uniforms like so many others. It's not a good look on any team. OU's colors are crimson and cream.... not black or gray or tan or silver. I think it's bulls't.
I do, however, think Prentice Gautt should be honored at least as much as any of OU's Heisman Trophy winners. I would have simply had the old white helmets with the crimson stripe down the middle and the number "38" on the side to resemble the helmet worn by OU in Gautt's time at OU. I don't need a uniform to be my moral compass.
Alabama does it right. It's simple long-time identity, to me, puts them in a class by themselves and needs no alteration to its uniform. It's Alabama's brand, its culture are what Alabama fans expect to see.
This is a new age CT, we may not like it but to many of these young athletes it is no longer about the history. Oregon started this crap with uniforms many years ago.

This is a new age CT, we may not like it but to many of these young athletes it is no longer about the history. Oregon started this crap with uniforms many years ago.
I'm aware of that.
History and learning from it have a lot to do with the crap going on now.
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

More of a longer term honor should be in place. If the Sooners get clown stomped in the game (heaven forbid)...who wants to remember the game? I bet it is very small percentage on campus who knows who Gautt is.

More of a longer term honor should be in place. If the Sooners get clown stomped in the game (heaven forbid)...who wants to remember the game? I bet it is very small percentage on campus who knows who Gautt is.
I dare say there’s a small percentage on campus that could have named all our Heisman winners if not for the statues by the stadium. How many know who Tommy McDonald was?

Every knowledgeable OU fan should know about Gautt and what he represents and the turbulence he had to endure. He was OU's Jackie Robinson.
Many people I have encountered don't know about Gettysburg, where I will live this December.... or can name more than 3-4 US presidents.... or know what we celebrate every July 4th. But this is just part of the dumbing down of our population, which is reflective of who we vote for.

I think they are Badass, don't really care about if they are honoring someone or not. I've been saying for years that the Sooners need a Black Uni, good to see it come to fruition. And yes, OU is a Woke Liberal University, sad to see how the Professors and Staff have been allowed to take it in that direction.

When I was a young guy I remember a family member ranting and raving about OU changing from white to crimson helmets. One thing we can always count on is change. The other thing we can always count on is the old guard will likely object to the change. If one generation could teach the next man would have been been perfect thousands of years ago. I am OK with the new uniforms because it is popular with the current guard.

When I was a young guy I remember a family member ranting and raving about OU changing from white to crimson helmets. One thing we can always count on is change. The other thing we can always count on is the old guard will likely object to the change. If one generation could teach the next man would have been been perfect thousands of years ago. I am OK with the new uniforms because it is popular with the current guard.
True that older generations may not like changes and are critical of those who follow them. It's been that way historically.
But in this case, the generation of those born in the last 25-30 years are much less aware of current events around them and have ignored much of history unlike previous generations. This does not bode well for the future of our country.

But in this case, the generation of those born in the last 25-30 years are much less aware of current events around them and have ignored much of history unlike previous generations. This does not bode well for the future of our country.
I agree to some extent. I have come across some pretty empty characters in the 25-30 age range. My experience with known 25-30 year olds is limited to my daughter (24) and her friends. ASU grads. If this age bracket are as you stated, much less aware of current events and have ignored history, the parents should shoulder most of the blame. My daughter speak, reads and writes 3 languages fluently since she was about 12 years old. She has had much put on her plate from an early age by her mother and I. Her favorite music is Johnny Cash and her favorite sport is Formula One. You get out of them what you put into them. I spent 6 years in the Army before I understood what I wanted from life. I was 29 before I got out of school and went to work in the big boy world. Nothing better for kids than to get them interested in reading. Keep the faith.

And there's Penn State, who always wears the prison guard's uniforms from "The Longest Yard."

I agree to some extent. I have come across some pretty empty characters in the 25-30 age range. My experience with known 25-30 year olds is limited to my daughter (24) and her friends. ASU grads. If this age bracket are as you stated, much less aware of current events and have ignored history, the parents should shoulder most of the blame. My daughter speak, reads and writes 3 languages fluently since she was about 12 years old. She has had much put on her plate from an early age by her mother and I. Her favorite music is Johnny Cash and her favorite sport is Formula One. You get out of them what you put into them. I spent 6 years in the Army before I understood what I wanted from life. I was 29 before I got out of school and went to work in the big boy world. Nothing better for kids than to get them interested in reading. Keep the faith.
All I can say to you is you and your wife are great parents and have a daughter to be proud of.

CT, really good post. Never seen a Sooner team wear a blacked out uniform. Everything is changing and for the worse. NIL and transfer portal are proof. The future of college football will always be uncertain now.

Reactions: CTOkie
CT, really good post. Never seen a Sooner team wear a blacked out uniform. Everything is changing and for the worse. NIL and transfer portal are proof. The future of college football will always be uncertain now.
Ironic that as OU, coming off a devastating defeat to its biggest rival along with three straight losses, will be wearing black tomorrow in an effort to honor a great player.
I also believe that Gautt would have preferred OU honoring him with the crimson and cream colors he played in with helmets having number 38 on each side.
It was Gautt's arrival in 1957 that slowly began OU's recruiting of black players at a time when he faced bigotry.
I would like to see OU honorarily retiring Gautt's number 38 and Bob Kalsu's number 77. I do not believe there were two men who represented OU better.... far above and beyond playing football.

The Cardinals in the NFL were a long long time football club. They were a charter member when the NFL started in 1920 l believe. Might be off by a year or two.

They were in Chicago for 40 years. I very vaguely remember the Chicago Cardinals. I remember Ollie Matson being mentioned as a great player for them.

The same year OSU joined the Big 8 Conference, the Cardinals moved to St. Louis, a year or two after the Rams and 49ers moved to the west coast. So the Cardinals have been in Chicago and St. Louis and the Phoenix area.

And despite being in the NFL for 100 years, the only two titles the franchise ever won, was before 1950 in Chicago.

They might as well not be wearing numbers. You can’t tell who is who.
This was my issue. No names and couldn't see the numbers, especially on TV. The announcers even mentioned that it is a penalty to wear uniforms with unreadable numbers. I've accepted that alternates are with us now for several reasons. The players like them (most important when recruiting nationally), they allow more sales (revenue generation).
The dark gray in general, has grown on me. Just wish they would have outlined the numbers with white to make them legible.

The Cardinals in the NFL were a long long time football club. They were a charter member when the NFL started in 1920 l believe. Might be off by a year or two.

They were in Chicago for 40 years. I very vaguely remember the Chicago Cardinals. I remember Ollie Matson being mentioned as a great player for them.

The same year OSU joined the Big 8 Conference, the Cardinals moved to St. Louis, a year or two after the Rams and 49ers moved to the west coast. So the Cardinals have been in Chicago and St. Louis and the Phoenix area.

And despite being in the NFL for 100 years, the only two titles the franchise ever won, was before 1950 in Chicago.
I think I remember reading that they are the oldest NFL team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT