ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Tournament (was the BIG 12 Tournament thread)

The thing is, OSU, Texas and West Virginia were all set to go to the playoffs. All three had a great chance to host. They really don't want to throw too many innings this week. Everybody else needs some resume enhancement. OSU phoned it in today. We got some breaks from the man calling balls and strikes, to. I think the conference wants as many in as possible. All the bubble teams so far have won, except the 4-5 matchup.

The guys calling the game said seven are likely in. That had more crinson sunglasses than Bullmarket. Today surely helped though. I really don't understand why they do double elim. Hurts the conference for when it really counts.

Reactions: iasooner2000
The thing is, OSU, Texas and West Virginia were all set to go to the playoffs. All three had a great chance to host. They really don't want to throw too many innings this week. Everybody else needs some resume enhancement. OSU phoned it in today. We got some breaks from the man calling balls and strikes, to. I think the conference wants as many in as possible. All the bubble teams so far have won, except the 4-5 matchup.

The guys calling the game said seven are likely in. That had more crinson sunglasses than Bullmarket. Today surely helped though. I really don't understand why they do double elim. Hurts the conference for when it really counts.

#1 Texas, #2 Okie State and #3 WVU go down on day 1. I like it.

You say, "I think the conference wants as many in as possible". Well, of course they do, but unless I am misunderstanding you, you make it sound like these wins and losses were planned. If that is true, it's time for me to pack up and leave college sports. Fortunately for me, I know better than that.

To say that 7 teams could get in, is Bullmarket-level homerism - well, you need to take a look as OU's RPI, strength of schedule and wins vs. top teams. OU's conference record is the only glitch and could be the killer. Let's see how all these conference tournaments pan out and leave it up to the selection committee.

Toby Rowland is employed by Sooner Sports. He's a fine play-by-play guy who is paid to call games wearing crimson glasses. Kinda how it works. If you listened to his radio program on KREF each morning in Norman, you'd hear a very objective, reasonable analysis of OU's chances, their weaknesses and their strengths. OU is on a delicate bubble. They badly need another win in the tournament to possibly get in.

OSU wanted the win just as bad as the Sooners. They put five pitchers out there. Tossing 10 more pitches per inning than OU isn't how you win games. The Sooners were very smart and aggressive with their base running. And got the hits early, going up 7-0. That'll knock the air out of an opponent.

All that said, my gut tells me OSU will emerge from the losers bracket and win the tournament. They're a solid team.

Last edited:
The Big 12 seems to notoriously have officials in almost every sport lean games in the direction of teams that benefit the conference. They don't fix games.

But for 20 years OU football benefitted from this.

Suddenly since the announced move to the SEC, those small advantages disappeared. It was a factor in last season's dismal record. It's one reason l'm not as optimistic about next season as many here.

There was a time in the conference when you could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of XII CCG's that didn't have either OU or Texas in the game. Since the announced move, neither sniffed the CCG.

Plaino, you are obsessed with the officiating.
Wait till we enter the SEC if he thinks its bad now. Arkie fans have been complaining about the SEC officiating since they joined the Conference, they blame it on not being a charter member and also not being at the top of the pecking order.
I am not saying it will be bad, I hate laying blame on officiating when we are sucking canal water like we did last season.

I went to bed before the fat lady sang on Thursday night. A guy needs his sleep when he has to get up at 4:00 am. I went to bed with the Sooners up, but knowing how baseball can be, I didn't feel fully confident about a Sooner win.

The Sooners lost to TT in the bottom of the ninth. Now OU gets to face OSU again, this time in an elimination game. It would be sweet to send the Pokes packing, but as stated above, I have them winning the tournament. I think they'll beat a power hitting TCU team.

I know these Sooners are heartbroken about losing the way they did to Tech, but how about the Longhorns and the Mountaineers going home without a win? Those two programs really blew it.

Last edited:
Tech and the Sooners are pretty similar teams. But the Red Raiders have two big advantages. First, their second baseman can make routine players. Yesterday, NIcklaus, OU's 2B, totally changed the game with two errors, including a dropped popout, that spoiled the pitching of OUr best pitcher.

But long term, the bigger difference is that they have a closer of some quality. He mowed us down to T9. B9 was an absolute embarrassment. Couldn't throw strikes. And then all strike zone pitches were like BP.

OU may get in the tournament but if they don't I would say they have no one to blame but themselves. 31-27 hardly screams deserving. If they do get in and end up in Fayetteville, the chances are very slim they pull the upset and win that region. This team is so up and down.

Well, I'm one who is excited about OU making it to the NCAA tournament.

Friday, June 2, 2023

Charlottesville Regional hosted by Virginia
#1 Virginia (45-12) vs. #4 Army West Point (38-16), 11am CDT, ESPN+
#2 East Carolina (45-17) vs. #3 Oklahoma (31-26), 6 p.m. CDT, ESPN2

Six Big 12 teams got in. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/...ion-i-baseball-championship-bracket-announced

Last edited:
Kansas State didn’t get in. They’re pissed off, and perhaps rightfully so. They last swept the Sooners and finished with a better record. But their weak conference schedule killed them, and the committee saw better over all metrics with this OU team.

Last edited:
We play ECU tomorrow. They lost to UVa 2-1 tonight. So it wasn't just their first round projected pitcher who's pretty good. Beating the UVa umps is a challenge whenever they host.

OSU was two and done.
Tech beat #2 seed Florida, and is the only undefeated team in their bracket as the 3rd seed in the regional.
Texas, who got screwed in the seeding a little bit, beat #11 seed MIami and their the only 2-0 team in their bracket.
I know WVU lost game 1, but won today to survive.
TCU got rained out at #3 seed Arkansas.
OU's still alive, barely. Army's pretty bad. We get ECU again, with a less talented starter. We used no bullpen today, thankfully.

This sounds a little weird to me. The SEC had eight seeded teams out of 16. The Big XII had only OSU who played two and goes home. I think four were seeded from the ACC. That's 12 of 16 from two conferences.

Coastal Carolina was seeded and goest home in two.
Indiana St is still playing.
OSU two and went home.
Stanford is playing A&M late, 4-4 om B6. A&M just tied it with 2 in T6

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT