ADVERTISEMENT

NC Game thread

this game just showed that if you actually have a QB and an offense to keep Bamas D on the field they become just another really good team...if the SEC had any offense their D wouldnt be so vaunted....Saban is the best coach IMO...and they are a great team...but playing in the SEC insulates them from actually playing any offenses.

and we gave up V for what we have. How does that make you feel? Me? I'm a little pissed off, but just a little. We did quite well after a 1-2 start. Not good enough, but everyone likes an underdog and we did quite nice.

Could have been worse. We could have had Charlie as a coach and made like the Hoover that Texas was...sucking like a cheap hooker for a few million.

this game just showed that if you actually have a QB and an offense to keep Bamas D on the field they become just another really good team...if the SEC had any offense their D wouldnt be so vaunted....Saban is the best coach IMO...and they are a great team...but playing in the SEC insulates them from actually playing any offenses.
Sorry, but this game was more about Alabama not having a QB to keep their defense OFF the field. By the 4th quarter, Bama's defense was just completely exhausted cuz Hurts couldn't keep Bama's offense on the field.

and we gave up V for what we have. How does that make you feel? Me? I'm a little pissed off, but just a little. We did quite well after a 1-2 start. Not good enough, but everyone likes an underdog and we did quite nice.

Could have been worse. We could have had Charlie as a coach and made like the Hoover that Texas was...sucking like a cheap hooker for a few million.

We don't get the studs on defense that Clemson recruits, Venables did not get them when he was at OU. Mike cannot either. How many points did Venables D give up vs USC? Yep a bunch.

Tell us how you really feel... :)

We don't get the studs on defense that Clemson recruits, Venables did not get them when he was at OU. Mike cannot either. How many points did Venables D give up vs USC? Yep a bunch.
OU sure got studs on defense early in Bob's tenure before he allowed his staff to get lazy for some years. BrentV going elsewhere forced him to step his game back up. It was a great career move for him that re-energized him.

Just goes to show that no team in CF is unbeatable plus I really believe that the SEC is not the conference it use to be which kind of masked Alabama's weaknesses. One could point to 8 or 10 teams next year who have a legit shot at winning the NC.
The SEC is definitely not the conference it was 3-4 years ago and is owned and operated by only one team, but the deep South (the 11-state area that comprised the Confederacy) has the best talent and the best teams each year.
Every championship game, aside from the USC-Oklahoma game in 2005, since 1992 has featured at least one team from Dixie, be it Florida, Florida State, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Virginia Tech and Texas......and in those 24 years, only Nebraska, USC and Ohio State have broken through the Southern stranglehold.
Football in the South is more ingrained into the regional culture. It's worshiped like a religion. It's where young boys aspire to play college football at an early age. The states of California, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, and even Oklahoma, have not equaled the degree of the football obsession of the South.....which is not an indictment at all.

OU sure got studs on defense early in Bob's tenure before he allowed his staff to get lazy for some years. BrentV going elsewhere forced him to step his game back up. It was a great career move for him that re-energized him.
Absolutely. Teams that can control the LOS rarely take a LOSS, ha! OU needs more dominant linemen IMO, when was the last real DL stud at OU?

Reactions: iasooner1

Well, I guess we should just give up then. It seems that no matter who the coach is, we just aren't going to get any good defensive players here.

I think that's just an excuse. Are we really saying that some school in a state like South Carolina who really has no deep traditional history of winning championships can recruit defensive players at a level so much higher than OU that it doesn't matter who the coach is...we will just never have a good defense?

The only commonality between Mike and Brent has been Bob. If Brent sucked while he was here and suddenly is a mastermind of epic proportions at Clemson, we should examine why that is. If it comes down to recruiting, then I don't see why we can't compete with a small school from South Carolina for those same players...but something is clearly off.

Well, I guess we should just give up then. It seems that no matter who the coach is, we just aren't going to get any good defensive players here.

I think that's just an excuse. Are we really saying that some school in a state like South Carolina who really has no deep traditional history of winning championships can recruit defensive players at a level so much higher than OU that it doesn't matter who the coach is...we will just never have a good defense?

The only commonality between Mike and Brent has been Bob. If Brent sucked while he was here and suddenly is a mastermind of epic proportions at Clemson, we should examine why that is. If it comes down to recruiting, then I don't see why we can't compete with a small school from South Carolina for those same players...but something is clearly off.

I wouldn't say OU can't recruit them, but for whatever reason they haven't, or, the one's they have, haven't panned out.

If recruiting classes are any significant measure, OU has over achieved as of late. The opposite could be said of earlier years...

The SEC is definitely not the conference it was 3-4 years ago and is owned and operated by only one team, but the deep South (the 11-state area that comprised the Confederacy) has the best talent and the best teams each year.
Every championship game, aside from the USC-Oklahoma game in 2005, since 1992 has featured at least one team from Dixie, be it Florida, Florida State, Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Virginia Tech and Texas......and in those 24 years, only Nebraska, USC and Ohio State have broken through the Southern stranglehold.
Football in the South is more ingrained into the regional culture. It's worshiped like a religion. It's where young boys aspire to play college football at an early age. The states of California, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio, and even Oklahoma, have not equaled the degree of the football obsession of the South.....which is not an indictment at all.

and outside of Cali or Ariz it has to do with the year round weather a bit as well.

I wouldn't say OU can't recruit them, but for whatever reason they haven't, or, the one's they have, haven't panned out.

Early in Bob Stoops' tenure, it was basically between Oklahoma, Texas, USC, FSU and Ohio State in terms of recruiting top 5 classes. And USC didn't come on until around after 2002-2003. So the first few years of Stoops' tenure, he would compete with Mack Brown, Tressel at OSU, (in decline) Bowden etc. for recruiting national championships. The SEC really wasn't a factor beyond "Coach February" Fulmer. Remember those days?

Then in the mid-090s everything changed. LSU became a recruiting powerhouse under first Saban and then even more so under Miles. Florida started dominating recruiting under Zook, and then Urban Meyer took them into the stratosphere. Then Meyer came back from the NFL and built his glorified NFL minor league team in Birmingham. Sanctions hit USC, Ohio State never really stopped recruiting big time, FSU dipped but then came back ... it looks like Texas and OU were supplanted. OU and Texas went from recruiting top 5 classes regularly to signing 15-20 classes. I remember when Texas and OU would fight over consensus #1 prospects like Chris Simms, Adrian Peterson etc. and the only SEC school that would be competing for prospects like that would be Tennessee. When was the last time OU or Texas won a recruiting battle like that, especially if it was for a kid who wasn't from Texas? That is what has happened.

And another thing: those passing-oriented offenses that the Big 12 runs almost exclusively makes your defenses soft. It was true of the Pac-10 and the WAC when everyone in college football mocked their defenses in the 70s, 80s and 90s when the SWC and Big 8 were winning national titles with power rushing attacks and great defenses. That didn't change just because you guys in the Big 12 decided that wholesale adoption of Mike Leach football - which is even more finesse than what the Pac-10 was running in the 90s - suited you more than winning titles with a more diverse and physical brand of football. If passing-oriented football that prioritizes winning on the edge over beating teams in the trenches made teams soft in the 90s for the Pac-10 and WAC, it does the same for you guys now. And the recruits know. If you were a big time interior OL or DT, why would you go to the Big 12? Exactly. That is why those kids are going to the SEC, Big 10 and now even certain programs in the ACC like FSU and Clemson. Be an interior lineman or middle linebacker in a conference where they spread the field and throw the ball 50-60 times a game? Why?

You want to recruit like OU did earlier in Stoops' tenure? Ditch the flag football. Simple as that.

If you were a big time interior OL or DT, why would you go to the Big 12? Exactly. That is why those kids are going to the SEC, Big 10 and now even certain programs in the ACC like FSU and Clemson. Be an interior lineman or middle linebacker in a conference where they spread the field and throw the ball 50-60 times a game? Why?
Good comedy. Clemson ran 99 plays last night. 57 were passes. How many more were called that Watson scrambled or was sacked. Is that new? Not really. How about the Fiesta Bowl? Only 85 plays... ACC championship? 75 plays... Yep. Clemson ranks #3 in pass attempts and #18 in rushes. Oh, OU averaged 44+ rushes per game to Clemson's 39... Total plays per game? Clemson 81, OU 74...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT