ADVERTISEMENT

Nancy Mulkey has signed

sybarite

Sooner signee
Jan 5, 2005
https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall

The 6-9+ post out of Cypress Woods, TX has signed with OU. She may well put OU into national title contention. Yes, she is good.

I understand that Chelsea Dungee also signed. Both of these two young women have gold medals for playing with the USA U-16 team. Only twelve players are selected from about fifty invitees, and they both went through the trials to be among the twelve best in the US.

Melanie Olmos and Maria Lopez, both pitchers, have signed with OU softball. I have seen Lopez ranked as the #1 recruit in the 2016 class.

There was a sports front page feature on here in the Houston Chronicle a couple of days ago. She was first team 6-A all state last year and is the same pre-season this year. Cy-Woods is the defending 6-A state champion and ranked #1 pre-season this year. I will say this, I have been told by someone who's daughter has played against her and other top players in Texas that she is not very strong. She can definitely fill out by the time she hits the floor in Norman. I am also told that she is not nearly as good as a couple of other top Texas H.S. players. Having said all this and certainly it is an opinion only, she is a quality player and has a huge upside but she must bulk up to be a difference maker.

I keep hearing about how she isn't strong. If you watch her play, she can yank a ball right out of someone's hands. She looks weak because she is tall. Chamberlain did too. He was strong. I think she is strong enough.

Let's see. Those others that they say are so good in Texas had the opportunity to beat her. The biggest name was Lauren Cox of Flower Mound who is 6-5. Cox is good. But, she is not the shooter or defender that Nancy is. She had her chance. Her team got beat in the state semi-finals by Dallas Skyline, the same team that Cypress Woods beat in the finals. It wasn't close. He has two gold medals and a state title. They have what?

Many thought that Joyner Holmes of Cedar Hill was the top performer in the nation (6-5). That might have made sense if her team had even made the playoffs. But, Holmes is all potential and no basketball skills. She can run, jump, and look great. She just can't hit a shot until it gets to be mop up time. She will have to learn how to play basketball. Despite the reputation that Texas suddenly has, it is not a hotbed of basketball players. Other than the Ogwumikes at Stanford, Sims and Griner at Baylor, the state really hasn't produced a lot of stars. Curiously, about half of the top twenty-five prospects in the nation are suddenly in the DFW area. Really?

My contact said his daughter played against three players, 2 from Texas and one from Oklahoma who she thought were better than Mulkey and Cox was one of them. The other Texas girl was Natalie Chou. Interestingly, the Oklahoma girl is one I am told we blew it with since she is going to OSU. Here name is Jaden Hobbs from Alva. The word used to describe Mulkey was "frail".
Frankly, I don't know anything about any of these girls but the opinion of someone who played with them including competing for a spot on the national team, which by the way Mulkey barely made and apparently was not a starter, would seem to count for something. I am excited we got the Mulkey girl and I expect that Sherri will get the best out of her.

If you listen to the "experts," Sherri is always blowing it on some Oklahoma kid. Yet, none of them that have been mentioned actually deliver that much in college. We simply do not know who Sherri recruits. I don't know that OU was ever interested in Hobbs. I think we did recruit Chou, but I'm not sure. The only way you can get a clue is by watching where they go in their travels compared to what the perceived needs of the team are.

After watching some AAU games and the performance of some of the teams in the state playoffs, I have the general impression that the Dallas area players tend to be very much overrated.

Incidently, Mulkey was #14 the first year, but was selected for the final 12 on the U-16 team due to an injury, arriving about two days after they were assembled. But, she was also on the next year's team as well. So, if she were barely in the top 12 two years in a row, that would appear to be good.

I'll let Nancy's actions define how good she can be.

Mulkey has skills. She can handle the ball and shoot.

Not in terms of skills, but just build, she reminds me a lot of Nicole Griffin. Nicole was really tall, but never filled out. Mulkey is three inches taller and is a really good high school shot blocker, but not sure if she will be at the next level. She has long arms. But a tall athletic college five, who is 6'4 and has some width to her, will be able to muscle her early in her career. But she can make a jump shot from the elbow.

I believe she'll be a little foul prone early in her career, because she'll not be as quick as a lot of the top centers she'll see as a college five. She has really long arms. She will be a shot changer occasionally. But she is not close to the next coming of Britney Griner. Not nearly as quick or strong.

But you can't teach 6'9. She will bring a lot to the table. She has really nice skills and fundamentals. She will give you a matchup against teams with a good five.

She is definitely a quality recruit. If she can "fill out," she could be a huge factor. But she kind of has the body type that often doesn't do that. She will play as a true freshman. She has the potential to be a great college player, but my guess is that she'll be a notch below that.

If you step back and look at Nancy, she is not all that thin. I have seen her rip the ball away from people. She has some strength. She may be foul prone, not of her doing. For some reason, it appears that they can see her and call fouls, often incorrectly, as they did in the state finals.

Nancy has been a shot blocker in AAU and in international play as well. The difficulty in that is that shot blocking works better if there is a team rather than in a playground type game. You rarely see a well-organized team in AAU or international ball, except for the opposition that is often together for months.

I think there is a great deal more misinformation out there in the realm of women's sports than in men's due to the support system, or lack thereof. If you remember the earlier days of football recruiting, it looked like every class that Texas had would win the national title four years in a row. Texas would sign every top lineman in the state, and there simply weren't any top linemen outside of Texas. Of course, all of the ratings came from Max Emfinger or Bobby Burton, both of whom leaned strongly to Texas. If Texas signed a kid, he was the #1 recruit.

With time, the sources of information about football and basketball recruiting became more plentiful. Now, it may not be all that accurate, but you can get a lot better feel for it than you could forty years ago. A lot slips through the cracks, but it is more informative than it was.

I think women's sports tend to be in the formative era. There are a few "scouts" who are the basis for everything that we know. These experts and the fact that a lot of people think they can evaluate talent by watching a Class 2A basketball game actually clouds the system. It would be a lot more useful if you knew who Geno was recruiting and why since he wins every year. But, the two largest rating "services," HoopGurlz and Prospect Nation are largely on the basis of very little information by very few scouts.

When you look at a list of prospects and find that fully forty percent of the top prospects of 2018 live in the state of Ohio, it makes you wonder what they are feeding people in Ohio. When you see that an area which has produced very few basketball players of note suddenly has a fourth or half of the top fifty prospects, you wonder what they are drinking.

One of the problems is that girls tend to be different from boys during recruiting. Boys tend to let everyone know when they get a letter or call from a coach. Girls tend to keep a lot of that rather quiet. Since most coaches are somewhat silent (as required), there isn't a lot of dependable information. A lot of it is "a friend says she is being recruited by X and Y." Meanwhile, another "friend" has a different list. Meanwhile, the girl and the coach tend to be rather quiet. In fact, it is interesting who does open up about recruiting, other than to make a commitment.

I tend to use the information as a place to get some information. But, I learn a lot more by watching a prospect myself. When you watch the top point guard in the country being destroyed by a guard that you have never heard of,, you know why we recruited DRob. That's how Sherri spotted DRob, by watching another point guard. I recently watched the top point guard from Texas, a highly-regarded national recruit, get completely destroyed by a kid that wasn't on anyone's list from Michigan.The top point guard of 2015 went to Louisville. But, I watched her be completely exposed by a Spanish point guard, Salvadores, in U-18 ball. Salvadores got enough attention to get an offer from Duke, signing today. Every year,, Texas gets a class that is the equal of any in the Big Twelve. Yet, they were 9-9, a distant third.Bill fennelly hardly ever gets anyone, nor does OSU. But, they were tied with Texas at 9-9. You have to look beyond the information that is available now. Maybe in a few years it will mean something. Right now, most is questionable.

And some of us saw Nancy, who dominated in the state semifinals, look good, not great in the finals, which her team won. She dealt with some foul trouble. But if she were the only Cypress Woods, sorry for the word, but if she were their only stud, they'd have been the state runner up.

They had an excellent team that was well coached. I suspect she'll be a much better player this season, and hopefully, a little stronger. But you've bragged a lot about how strong she is. That's not what I saw. But I only worked a couple of decades of high school girls basketball, so what do I know.

Since you watched the finals, did you notice that Nancy essentially sat out the second and fourth quarters with fouls? It wasn't that exact. But, it came close. In the first and third quarters with Nancy mostly on the floor, Cypress Woods won 42-18. In the second and fourth quarters with Nancy mostly on the bench, Cypress Woods lost 31-15.

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall

The 6-9+ post out of Cypress Woods, TX has signed with OU. She may well put OU into national title contention. Yes, she is good.

I understand that Chelsea Dungee also signed. Both of these two young women have gold medals for playing with the USA U-16 team. Only twelve players are selected from about fifty invitees, and they both went through the trials to be among the twelve best in the US.

Melanie Olmos and Maria Lopez, both pitchers, have signed with OU softball. I have seen Lopez ranked as the #1 recruit in the 2016 class.

UConn has the best HC by far. Baylor should have won 3 titles while Grinner was there, but played for two and should have lost freshman year and won 3 in a row, which they didn't. Gino is the greatest in women's ball ever.

"She isn't strong." "She needs to bulk up."

Trying to recall the skinny guy they used to say that about ... oh, yeah, Kevin Durant.

Well, we've spent ten years now in an argument that Courtney was overweight. Now, we have to defend Nancy because she isn't? Somehow, I feel funny trying to suggest that she needs to muscle up. I guess it's a generational thing. But, I do think she is quite capable as she is, and most of the attacks haven't really studied her movements or those of her opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT