ADVERTISEMENT

My top ten things to ponder from the RRR.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
My top ten:

1. The most underrated and important factor in the win, was the way the Sooner defense handled the 18 Wheeler short yardage offense. Texas pretty much gave up on it. I was surprised they didn't try to throw out of it once. I wondered if losing Chris Warren might not have hurt them a little. He's a big body blocker when they do that. Great plan and execution by OUr defense.

2. It took five games, but I think we finally found OUr best five Olinemen. I guess Powers will take a step back when either Alvarez or Dalton return, but I'm not sure he should.

3. Brown made the most amazing cut block on the goal line on a Perine touchdown in the fourth I think. Didn't know a 6'8 guy could get that low that quickly. It was on the backside reaching one gap. Just remarkable.

4. The most impressive thing about Westbrook was his ball flight judgement on the deep ball. It looks like Baker is hitting him in stride for three touchdowns, and they were all great throws. But he made little adjustments to the ball in the air that allowed him to get there with perfect timing in stride. Most true burners typically can't do that. Or they have lousy hands. That was the best receiver performance from a Sooner that I've ever seen, who was not named Shepard or Broyles.

5. Dede even made four or five really nice catches in traffic. Getting healed has made a huge difference. He will now get a lot more focus, and we'll see how that impacts him. But he was astonishing.

6. We have some DB's who haven't played much, that are apparently pretty good players. That first week out there, you haven't been game planned for, and they don't know what weaknesses you might have, that can be maybe exploited. The closing speed on Sunderland's interception was a remarkable play. Thomas' one on two tackle on the quick screen saved a touchdown.

7. I think we might be learning why Mead was getting so much playing time early. Westbrook was hurt. Green was hurt. Miller wasn't 100%. Dahu looked pretty frisky on the long catch headed southeast in the second half. And Lewis did what we need him to do: CTDB in traffic on third down. His best contribution this season.

8. My guess is that even a game with a few mistakes in it is great to be hosting recruits, when the RRR is undecided til the last minute. Both crowds are into it. There is nothing quite like the noise on one end of the Cotton Bowl, suddenly switching ends mid-play, when both sides are full thoatal right to the end. I don't think there is another crowd like it in sports. Since few of the games recently have been tight for four quarters, whoever the home team was and hosting, didn't get the full advantage. Saturday, OU did. Even Draper got really excited. Those trying to replicate that advantage at Jerry World, like Tech and Baylor can put on a show, but they cannot replicate that.

9. I thought we had a couple of players who had more than one RRR kind of poise draining moment. After Mixon's first fumble, he was never quite as sure of himself. That drop on the option pitch should have sealed the win. Same thing for Andrews on his first tough drop, which led to the second easy one the next time they threw to him. But he got it back. His play on the onside kick was crucial. If we don't recover that, I don't think we win.

10. Everybody knows I love Bob. But I think it's time to cut back a little on the workloads for both Mixon and Seibert. Every team we play is intentionally kicking it to Joe, and trying to force him to return it. I think we have a much better player on offense at the end if he gets a special teams break. And surely, we have somebody else who can catch a punt or a kickoff.

And the workload is, I believe, a factor in Seibert's placement woes. He's such a great punter. You hate to lose that. But I don't think a single xp Saturday was center squared and his FG attempts are a crap shoot. He's too good to perform this way. I was also wondering about OUr holder and center snap. We just got badly outplayed in the kicking game against Texas. Lose that, and the turnover battle lost 4-1, and you have to set your all time total offense record in the RRR to win by five points.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
I saw an Oklahoma team that showed enough for me to think it can win a Big 12 championship (for whatever that's worth anymore)....IF:

The injured players can get healthy....and there are no more serious injuries the rest of the way. That may be wishful thinking.
OU uses the running game as it did against Texas now that the offensive line has come of age. Wren is playing very well and has really allowed the OL to come together...and Powers looked solid at guard.
The young linebackers and defensive backs can continue to improve.
The young receivers can continue to improve. (Green, Miller, Smallwood, Jones and Mead)
The defense can stop yielding so many long passing plays. Our best DB, Jordan Thomas, was burned twice for touchdowns.
Mixon can somehow regain his focus....and as Plaino alluded to, be replaced on the return team to allow him to concentrate on being a running back. He seemed as if he had lost his concentration and/or poise on at least two plays: a fumbled punt return and a dropped lateral that stopped what would have been a potentially long run late in the game.
Siebert might need to be used exclusively on punts and place kicking....if he has to do both, why then, is he on the kickoff team ?
Summary of the Texas game in my view....Westbrook, Perine, Mayfield were clearly the key performers on Saturday, but had the younger players not stepped up the way they did, OU very likely loses the game.
Texas played hard and with a lot of energy, but OU's mistakes made the game a close one.

I was disappointed in the Special Teams play on punt returns. It seemed that Mixon was on an island when fielding punts. Are we not setting him up for returns? I saw where Kelly and a few true freshmen were on the field. I think this has long term benefits if there was no intention to redshirt them. I agree that the closeness of the game and intensity adds valuable experience. I have watched the game three times from recording and pick up something each viewing.

And the workload is, I believe, a factor in Seibert's placement woes. He's such a great punter. You hate to lose that. But I don't think a single xp Saturday was center squared and his FG attempts are a crap shoot. He's too good to perform this way. I was also wondering about OUr holder and center snap. We just got badly outplayed in the kicking game against Texas. Lose that, and the turnover battle lost 4-

I joke about this a lot, but it can really be a serious part of a FG or XP attempt. A lot of people assume it is simple. The hold on a kick is as crucial as the the kick itself, sometimes more so... And what works best for one kicker doesn't for another... That shouldn't be an issue since Seibert is the lone PK. He isn't in jeopardy of losing his job at this point.

On the miss early... OU called timeout before the play clock expired. I don't believe in freezing a kicker. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. What I see in the kick, 1) high snap, in the face of the holder, 2) bad placement of the ball, with the laces towards the sideline, and 3) the angle of the hold was back towards the holder...

2 & 3 tell me the ball is going left... Seibert comes through the ball fine. His right toe barely scrapes the grass after contact, the ball comes out and is immediately turning end around end, sideways... #1 starts the failure, 2 & 3 assured it...

Kickers and QB's get blamed too often for the failures of others around them, Seibert almost made that FG, which is a testament to how good he really is. Very few kickers would have made that with the ball placement, IMO...

It was way closer to an OU blowout than a Texas win. Just a bad, inexplicable day by one of our best skill guys (Mixon). We shot ourselves in the foot way more than they punched us in the mouth and took the game from us (like they did last year).

Beside Mixon, I thought most players played extremely well. Jordan Thomas was just a beast the first half. He gave up two big pass plays in the second half, but in all reality he did everything right on the last one. Even got a finger or two on it. The other guys just made a great play. They have scholarship kids as well. Give them credit.

So many injuries right now. We need to heal. Hopefully most of those are minor, and they can come back in the next week or two.

Very happy with the defense through three quarters. But the next time Mike decides to just rush three, I hope Bob calls a timeout, runs up to the press box, and slaps the bejeesus out of his little brother. It's like Mike's trying to just give the game away. Especially when we have a ton of inexperienced guys in the secondary due to injuries. That's when they need more pressure, not less.

Mark Andrews had bricks for hands too. The habits of timeouts on defense is gonna screw us bad one of these games.

Will Sunderland is going to be a star if he has any brains in his head.

The habits of timeouts on defense is gonna screw us bad one of these games.

When OU called the first time out, I told my Horn Son-in-law that they would be out of timeouts with 10 minutes to go in the first half.
They called their third and final timeout with about 10:27 left.
Earlier this year, it looked like they had solved the problems they had when burning TO's so early.
But as soon as the first one was called Saturday, I knew they were back with a vengeance.

I was disappointed in the Special Teams play on punt returns. It seemed that Mixon was on an island when fielding punts. Are we not setting him up for returns? I saw where Kelly and a few true freshmen were on the field. I think this has long term benefits if there was no intention to redshirt them. I agree that the closeness of the game and intensity adds valuable experience. I have watched the game three times from recording and pick up something each viewing.
I agree with your opinion of our Special Teams play.

Is it possible that Mixon's woes are psychological and go back at least to the targeting hit by the TCU player on his attempted punt return? Vicious hit.

Mixon is a fabulous player but seems to have his mind elsewhere at times. I'm sure he got his butt chewed on the kick off return TD against tOSU in which he dropped the ball prior to entering the end zone. Then, the TCU hit. Finally, his fumbles against UT along with the dropped pitch late in the 4th qtr.

Is there also a lack of focus deriving from the lawsuit filed against him in the bar incident from his Freshman year? He's got a lot on his plate this season.

Boomer Sooner

The differences between this years RRR game and last years game was we lost to a bad whorn team last year and managed to beat a bad whorn team this year, barely. I was in OKC this past weekend and almost everyone I talked to that are Sooner fans said the same thing, not much confidence in this team or the coaching staff and that was after the win.

Last edited:
I never thought this year's team would live up to its preseason hype (which has become the usual scenario since 2000), but this season had the team with many holes to fill for me to have felt good about a playoff berth.
In my view, the team so far has done about what I had figured. I'm just glad the team beat Texas for the 5th time in 7 years.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
My top ten:

1. The most underrated and important factor in the win, was the way the Sooner defense handled the 18 Wheeler short yardage offense. Texas pretty much gave up on it. I was surprised they didn't try to throw out of it once. I wondered if losing Chris Warren might not have hurt them a little. He's a big body blocker when they do that. Great plan and execution by OUr defense.

2. It took five games, but I think we finally found OUr best five Olinemen. I guess Powers will take a step back when either Alvarez or Dalton return, but I'm not sure he should.

3. Brown made the most amazing cut block on the goal line on a Perine touchdown in the fourth I think. Didn't know a 6'8 guy could get that low that quickly. It was on the backside reaching one gap. Just remarkable.

4. The most impressive thing about Westbrook was his ball flight judgement on the deep ball. It looks like Baker is hitting him in stride for three touchdowns, and they were all great throws. But he made little adjustments to the ball in the air that allowed him to get there with perfect timing in stride. Most true burners typically can't do that. Or they have lousy hands. That was the best receiver performance from a Sooner that I've ever seen, who was not named Shepard or Broyles.

5. Dede even made four or five really nice catches in traffic. Getting healed has made a huge difference. He will now get a lot more focus, and we'll see how that impacts him. But he was astonishing.

6. We have some DB's who haven't played much, that are apparently pretty good players. That first week out there, you haven't been game planned for, and they don't know what weaknesses you might have, that can be maybe exploited. The closing speed on Sunderland's interception was a remarkable play. Thomas' one on two tackle on the quick screen saved a touchdown.

7. I think we might be learning why Mead was getting so much playing time early. Westbrook was hurt. Green was hurt. Miller wasn't 100%. Dahu looked pretty frisky on the long catch headed southeast in the second half. And Lewis did what we need him to do: CTDB in traffic on third down. His best contribution this season.

8. My guess is that even a game with a few mistakes in it is great to be hosting recruits, when the RRR is undecided til the last minute. Both crowds are into it. There is nothing quite like the noise on one end of the Cotton Bowl, suddenly switching ends mid-play, when both sides are full thoatal right to the end. I don't think there is another crowd like it in sports. Since few of the games recently have been tight for four quarters, whoever the home team was and hosting, didn't get the full advantage. Saturday, OU did. Even Draper got really excited. Those trying to replicate that advantage at Jerry World, like Tech and Baylor can put on a show, but they cannot replicate that.

9. I thought we had a couple of players who had more than one RRR kind of poise draining moment. After Mixon's first fumble, he was never quite as sure of himself. That drop on the option pitch should have sealed the win. Same thing for Andrews on his first tough drop, which led to the second easy one the next time they threw to him. But he got it back. His play on the onside kick was crucial. If we don't recover that, I don't think we win.

10. Everybody knows I love Bob. But I think it's time to cut back a little on the workloads for both Mixon and Seibert. Every team we play is intentionally kicking it to Joe, and trying to force him to return it. I think we have a much better player on offense at the end if he gets a special teams break. And surely, we have somebody else who can catch a punt or a kickoff.

And the workload is, I believe, a factor in Seibert's placement woes. He's such a great punter. You hate to lose that. But I don't think a single xp Saturday was center squared and his FG attempts are a crap shoot. He's too good to perform this way. I was also wondering about OUr holder and center snap. We just got badly outplayed in the kicking game against Texas. Lose that, and the turnover battle lost 4-1, and you have to set your all time total offense record in the RRR to win by five points.
That'll be interesting to watch, because Stoops said in his presser that Alvarez was good to go Saturday, but he didn't get in because the line on the field was working so well that Bedenbaugh didn't want to mess with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT