ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on Cedric Roberts

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Guys, I'll have a video breakdown up a little later today but wanted to offer some thoughts on Cedric Roberts - how this played out, what it means, etc.

First, this has NO CORRELATION TO OMARI ABOR OR GABE DINDY. Abor isn't even seen as an interior player at the moment so RELAX and Dindy's offer is pretty much immutable. It's also not an indication of anything with Chris McClellan or Jaray Bledsoe, those guys are still in play.

Second, Oklahoma really, really liked this kid. They knew offering him yesterday following his private workout was going to lead to a commitment and they were more than ready to take that step. I'm going to say this clearly, he REALLY impressed everyone and I can say I don't think they began that workout expecting him to be offered - "they didn't think he was going to be as good as he is" was the general explanation I got.

Bottom line? They just like this dude and were willing to put him with any of the others I've mentioned.

Some of you (@NealKenn, I see you) have talked about OU getting big-time talents and not being devoted to what the numbers look like a year before it matters? That's worth thinking about in this situation.

Third, this could have all played out earlier this summer if Roberts had not pulled a hamstring running the 40 at Oklahoma's Elite Camp 1. He worked to get himself back to ready and returned.

Finally, this guy had offers from Dave Aranda and Jeff Hafley, two guys who are pretty familiar with big-time talents and know what it's supposed to look like. I'm not telling you that this guy will be a superstar - I want to watch more tape before I make any bold predictions - but I am saying that guys who know what they are looking for, liked him. And even aside from that, how many times can we keep doubting Oklahoma's own staff and see one guy after another turn into a player?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News