ADVERTISEMENT

My Takeaways after last night

soonerwink

Sooner starter
Jul 23, 2009
1) It is Akron, so I am trying not to be overly positive on some of the good things I saw

2) Baker is much better than Knight. I was wrong on him. He is accurate and has a good arm. He made one bad throw but took care of the ball on all others. I did notice that when pressured, he has a tendency to roll right and fall back more. He doesn't step up in the pocket. That needs to be fixed. He does move through his progressions well.

3) OL was pretty average. Discouraging that they couldn't get a push on Akron. Akron was loading the box, though, so we weren't going to get a ton without numbers.

4) Lots of playmakers on the field. Mixon looked legit. Westbrook and Baxter looked great. Neal surprised! He looks faster. Like that Mayfield spread it around and didn't lock in on Sheperd.

5) I DON'T like the running game out of the air raid. Perine and Mixon are down hill runners. The need to be behind BM so the can read the defense and make their one cut and go. Riley did that in the 2nd half and we did better. The Air Raid running game plays better to guys like Finch, Brooks, or Q. You need to be shifty. I am hopeful that Riley moves to more of a Pistol look so those guys can work downhill and not sideline to sideline.

6) I don't think the defense was tested, but they looked solid. Should know more next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.