ADVERTISEMENT

My feelings about OU vs LSU

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
I don't ever remember anticipating any Oklahoma game with such a foreboding as I do for this upcoming game.
I do, however, feel that if OU can play as a team well prepared, composed and motivated, there's no reason to think that this team can't at least play a tough, close game against LSU or any other team.....injuries and suspensions be damned.
Every player on the roster and every incoming recruit has to know that they are at OU to play in big games like this annually and that it's the biggest part of being a Sooner.
The future appears bright for OU and I hope we can see this game as not only a chance at "# 8", but also as a valuable lesson to the players and coaches in how to break the 20 year old stranglehold that teams from Dixie and Ohio State have has in recent years.
OU has the coaching, history, facilities, location and resources as good as any team in the country and winning games against the likes of LSU must happen to get OU over the hump....both on the field and in recruiting.....and it needs to happen now.

We have come a long way to get to this point. Bad decisions by 3 idiots and injuries to Terry and now Turner Yell puts lots of burden to make a competitive game with #1. We have to play flawless football. Anything less won’t get us there.
Agree.
This team must show composure and play smart. Robinson and Hayes on the o-line must stop with the motion and personal foul penalties and Hurts needs to handle the ball better when he's running. Hopefully, his ribs are healed so he can do this...and pass better.

I was really hoping this would be there year we could at least win a playoff game. Now I'm not nearly as optimistic about it with all these issues we have now. Oh well its still something to look forward to

Look-- I'm gonna break it to you nice folks gently---

Y'all bout to get beat. And there's no shame in it. You made the playoffs. There's 126 other teams that would trade with you in a heartbeat. I look to Austin and think to myself that I would give all three of my left nuts to be in the playoffs. But alas-- we are coached by the village idiot.

Enjoy the game, don't get your hopes up, try and keep it under 14.

Reactions: Tollboothmgr

Y'all bout to get beat. And there's no shame in it. You made the playoffs. There's 126 other teams that would trade with you in a heartbeat. I look to Austin and think to myself that I would give all three of my left nuts to be in the playoffs. But alas-- we are coached by the village idiot.

Lol. Thanks for the condolences but that rat position ain’t gonna fly. That exact Texas losers mindset is why they have sucked for the last ten years.

Reactions: iasooner1

I'm not playing, but I get your point.

Hope your prognostications are not as good as your avatar.

Lol. Thanks for the condolences but that rat position ain’t gonna fly. That exact Texas losers mindset is why they have sucked for the last ten years.
Nah man, it's not that. I had never joined a message board before because I looked at it like I couldn't relate to the fans because I'd seen Texas football first hand and how do you explain that to people without having misunderstandings. But when we hired Charlie and our AD basically spit in the face of all of us, I needed to find a constructive way to rant--- instead of sending "are you seriously fvcking stupid!" Emails to the athletic department. I can promise you that I'm as objective and anyone you'll meet. You got a good team? I will be the first to tell you. You got holes in your team, I will tell you about them. My mindset is not a reflection of me as a "person" or former player. It's a reflection of the sh!t show product I see put on the field in 5 of the last 6 years. Believ it or not, until this season, I'd predicted every Texas season record going back to Charlie's first year. I bombed this year. But nobody's perfect. But I promise I try and remain objective, and having played LSU and you guys, LSU is a double digit better team. Of course you can catch them on a bad night and bite them in the ass--- but I just don't see that happening. They seem to be on a mission. Again, at least you made the playoffs. We are going to rick rolled against Utah.

I chatted a little bit with iasooner about this through text messages, and I'm hanging on to my theory that this is just a warm weather team.
Temperatures at the start of games below when we began our "slide." Everything before was hot as heck, then of course the Big XII Championship game in which I would argue we looked way better against Baylor than previously. Track teams generally don't like cold weather.
Let's hope the Georgia Dome keeps the trend going.

Kansas State - 52F
Iowa State - 57F
Baylor - 48F
TCU - 46F
Stillwater - 50F

If the LSU/Sux game was any measuring stick, then we're about to poach some tigers.

I have that same dreadful feeling I had at the start of the 2014 Sugar Bowl. That OU was about to be beat down and prove ALL the media and talking heads absolutely correct in their assessment that Bama was far more than a 17 point favorite. That game can be seen on Youtube. Last year we found ourselves in a 28 point hole before anyone knew the game had started. We made our best effort to "catch up" respectable. We need Riley not to go brain dead on play calling and allow the team to win or lose on the field. Riley seems to come up with a few "what the fvck was that" moments in big games. And no stupid penalties. Especially dead ball fouls. LSU is a very good team but I believe OU can play with them if we play a solid mistake free game. We need a ball with a handle on it so Hurts can hang onto the ball. He has made some very stupid decisions in recent games that resulted in interceptions.

I have that same dreadful feeling I had at the start of the 2014 Sugar Bowl. That OU was about to be beat down and prove ALL the media and talking heads absolutely correct in their assessment that Bama was far more than a 17 point favorite. That game can be seen on Youtube. Last year we found ourselves in a 28 point hole before anyone knew the game had started. We made our best effort to "catch up" respectable. We need Riley not to go brain dead on play calling and allow the team to win or lose on the field. Riley seems to come up with a few "what the fvck was that" moments in big games. And no stupid penalties. Especially dead ball fouls. LSU is a very good team but I believe OU can play with them if we play a solid mistake free game. We need a ball with a handle on it so Hurts can hang onto the ball. He has made some very stupid decisions in recent games that resulted in interceptions.
Agree.....and the mistakes OU made in every game so far, it will not be able to get away with against LSU. The Sooners are overdue to play well for a complete game.

I chatted a little bit with iasooner about this through text messages, and I'm hanging on to my theory that this is just a warm weather team.
Temperatures at the start of games below when we began our "slide." Everything before was hot as heck, then of course the Big XII Championship game in which I would argue we looked way better against Baylor than previously. Track teams generally don't like cold weather.
Let's hope the Georgia Dome keeps the trend going.

Kansas State - 52F
Iowa State - 57F
Baylor - 48F
TCU - 46F
Stillwater - 50F

To add MY Overthinking to yours and Gary's, JCon...With as many BAD Breaks as we have had the past 2 Weeks, I have managed to convince myself that we are due for some GOOD Ones...I always play the Odds...Fingers Crossed!!! :rolleyes:

I have had a few discussions with SEC lovers and most say we don’t have a real defense. The other’s say LSU has few weaknesses. The usual toe to toe arguments came about. To me our chances to win dropped some losing Perkins and Turner-Yell. The pressure gets put on the offense to control the game clock with super efficiency. It is also on the defense to generate pressure on Burrow and hopefully get some turnovers (more than two). A pick 6 would help immensely. All I say is go get ‘em !!!

I have had a few discussions with SEC lovers and most say we don’t have a real defense. The other’s say LSU has few weaknesses. The usual toe to toe arguments came about. To me our chances to win dropped some losing Perkins and Turner-Yell. The pressure gets put on the offense to control the game clock with super efficiency. It is also on the defense to generate pressure on Burrow and hopefully get some turnovers (more than two). A pick 6 would help immensely. All I say is go get ‘em !!!
So OU enters the game minus Sermon, Stevenson, Mann, Yell, Perkins, Calcaterra, Hurts having rib issues and Brooks at questionable health with a cheap shot head injury. OT Swenson may also not be a full strength.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Hurts must have a great game for OU to have any chance of beating LSU. At least 3 TD passes, one rushing TD, and no more than one interception. No fumble “turnovers”. 350+ passing yards and 50+ rushing. Limit 3rd and long. Can/will Riley call a game that gives Jalen a chance to have this kind of game? Can/will the OL allow Jalen a chance to have this kind of game? Can Brooks take some pressure off Jalen? The OU receivers WILL step up....again. The OU defense will play hard. If all this happens it’s going to be a 4 point game, and we will have an opportunity to beat #1. A lot of “ifs”. BOOMER!

Where is Mark May when we need him?

I remember when we faced Bama in the Sugar, with a soph qb named Knight, an OC named Heupel and a DC named Stoops. All three have been verbally battered on every Sooner message board before and since that week.

We entered the game with only five healthy OLs. I think one played his regular position. According to talking head May, the SEC was going to plant an embarrassing result on OU. We never really tackled their freshman stud running back Derrick Henry, who hadn't really played much prior, but had a coming out party. Couldn't cover Amari Cooper.

Bama and their offense on their first possession, didn't so much carve up OUr defense, as treated us like butter melting before their heated hammer offense.

Then Sooner Magic somehow got involved. For one night, Knight looked like Joe Montana. OUr defense sacked Bama 7 times when they'd given up 11 all season. Heupel imitated Bill Walsh. Stoops' defense gathered 5 crucial turnovers. We won by two touchdowns.

LSU might kill us. They might beat us in a close one.

But we might just surprise everybody in college football.

Btw, whatever happened to Mark May?

Last edited:
Where is Mark May when we need him?

I remember when we faced Bama in the Sugar, with a soph qb named Knight, an OC named Heupel and a DC named Stoops. All three have been verbally battered on every Sooner message board before and since that week.

We entered the game with only five healthy OLs. I think one played his regular position. According to talking head May, the SEC was going to plant an embarrassing result on OU. We never really tackled their freshman stud running back Derrick Henry, who hadn't really played much prior, but had a coming out party. Couldn't cover Amari Cooper.

Bama and their offense on their first possession, didn't so much carve up OUr defense, as treated us like butter melting before their heated hammer offense.

Then Sooner Magic somehow got involved. For one night, Knight looked like Joe Montana. OUr defense sacked Bama 7 times when they'd given up 11 all season. Heupel imitated Bill Walsh. Stoops' defense gathered 5 crucial turnovers. We won by two touchdowns.

LSU might kill us. They might beat us in a close one.

But we might just surprise everybody in college football.

Btw, whatever happened to Mark May?

After that game Mark May was on College Football Final only one more year and was then replaced by Joey Galloway. Lol. May bounced around ESPN 2 for awhile and basically disappeared. I laughed my ass off the first time he was on the air after the game, and gave all my Alabama kin hell for a couple of years. Then shut up. :cool:

For myself I have been taking a different approach going into this game and much like the same way I did in 2000 when OU was facing the almighty Seminoles. I was just happy to see OU in that game after all the shit from the Blake days.

Like FSU no one experts OU to win except maybe all of our fanbase. If we are able to pull this off it will once again take a 2000 effort to Do it. If OU loses and loses bad get ready for the backlash that will come with that. I think this team along with LR knows this is a game that could define his legacy and I believe this team will play with a chip on its shoulder that will guide them to a 34-27 win. OU is due and I truly believe this.

I believe in the Hiesman jinx. Too many interviews and appearances for Burrow takes too much concentration away from his task at hand. I would rather be playing at full strength, but the jinx remains. I just believe we pull this off!

The "Heisman Jinx" is largely a myth, perpetuated by the press and regurgitated by fans every year. Truth be told, there many Heisman winners who played well and won their next game. Just in this century, there's Carson Palmer (beat Iowa 38-7), Matt Leinart (beat Oklahoma 55-17), Mark Ingram (beat Texas 37-21), Cam Newton (beat Oregon 22-19), Robert Griffin III (beat Washington 67-56), Johnny Manziel (beat Oklahoma 41-13), Jameis Winston (beat Auburn 34-31), Marcus Mariota, (beat Florida State 59-20) and Derrick Henry, beat Michigan State 38-0).

Last edited:
I posted way back about 25% through the season that the D had improved. Was scolded but no big deal. The facts do show the D has greatly improved. But even then, I also posted that it wasn’t improved enough to win a Natty. Still feel that way. But we might be able to sneak a win if things align right. We’ll see.

Last edited:
The "Heisman Jinx" is largely a myth, perpetuated by the press and regurgitated by fans every year. Truth be told, there many Heisman winners who played well and won their next game. Just in this century, there's Carson Palmer (beat Iowa 38-7), Matt Leinart (beat Oklahoma 55-17), Mark Ingram (beat Texas 37-21), Cam Newton (beat Oregon 22-19), Robert Griffin III (beat Washington 67-56), Johnny Manziel (beat Oklahoma 41-13), Jameis Winston (beat Auburn 34-31), Marcus Mariota, (beat Florida State 59-20) and Derrick Henry, beat Michigan State 38-0).

I think some may be referencing Oklahoma Heisman winners. By my count our winners are 1-4 with only Billy Sims winning a bowl game as the Heisman winner. OU didn't play in a bowl the year that Billy Vessels won his Heisman (1952). Nor did Steve Owens' team in his Heisman year (1969). Jason White, Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray all lost bowls their Heisman years. So maybe there really is something to this Heisman Jinx. :rolleyes:

But only 3 of those were an NC hopeful. More Heisman guys got beat. And the ones in the NC chances didn"t win beccause they played great, except for Leinart. Weinke got shut out. Nebraska got killed in 01. Bush hot outplayed and lost. Injured Jason White got beat in 03. More on the list.

Most of the Heisman guys made it to the finals. If only 3 won, that's not much.

But only 3 of those were an NC hopeful.

Six of them were on teams competing for national championships, and five of them won the NC (Leinart, Ingram, Newton, Winston and Henry). Mariota's Oregon team destroyed Florida State in the first round of the playoffs and then lost to Ohio State in the championship game. It's a bit of a stretch to classify that as a "Heisman Jinx" since he won the first game after winning the Heisman.

So OU enters the game minus Sermon, Stevenson, Mann, Yell, Perkins, Calcaterra, Hurts having rib issues and Brooks at questionable health with a cheap shot head injury. OT Swenson may also not be a full strength.

So you're saying OU enters the game with Lamb? Then toss a coin. It's anyone's game. Besides Adrian Peterson. Lamb is the only player for OU that I've believed can take control of a game and turn it into a toss up.

So you're saying OU enters the game with Lamb? Then toss a coin. It's anyone's game. Besides Adrian Peterson. Lamb is the only player for OU that I've believed can take control of a game and turn it into a toss up.
Lamb can’t do it alone unless others on offense step up...the offensive line, Hurts’ passing and an effective running game are part of the equation.

In late September the defense had yet to be tested through the first 5 games, although there were signs of improvement, there was legitimate concern how good the defense would be against against teams with good offenses. Then came Texas (41% into the schedule) scoring an average of 42 points per game and OU held the Horns to 27 points and made several big plays.

I'm thinking this is a 42-27 win for LSU unless, we create 2-3 Turnovers and do not turn the ball over a Single Time, then OU wins 38-31.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senior Sooner

Like I said. LSU is a damn good football team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT