ADVERTISEMENT

Most important recruit of the season

veritas59

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2003
http://newsok.com/offensive-coordin...e-year-extension-with-sooners/article/5548860

It looks like Lincoln Riley is here to stay.

The OU Board of Regents approved a three-year contract extension for the 33-year-old offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Riley's contract now runs through the 2019 season. The deal is reportedly worth $1.3 million per season.

Riley expressed gratitude to the Sooners on Thursday.

"I appreciate OU and Coach Stoops taking a chance on me a couple of years ago and the loyalty they've shown to my family," said the 33-year-old Riley. "We are extremely grateful, and I want to display my strong loyalty to this school and program in return. We absolutely love living here. It's a place we relate to, a place we feel very much at home. I love the people I work with at OU and I love the players I coach. It's been a fantastic first two years, but I'm excited for what's ahead in Norman. We're looking forward to being a part of this university and community for a long time."

Sooners head coach Bob Stoops said Riley, whose two years as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach have coincided with some of the best offensive production in school history, and OU started working on the extension soon after the 2016 season ended.

"This has been in the works for a few months," said Stoops, who has won 10 Big 12 Championships, including the last two. "Lincoln's done a phenomenal job in his two years here and we're excited for him and his family. They're great people and have fully immersed themselves into the Oklahoma community. He's fully committed to OU and what we're doing as a university and football program, and all of us are looking forward to continuing to work together to develop young men on and off the field, and bring more championships to Norman."

In 2015, Riley directed an Oklahoma unit that ranked fourth nationally in scoring (43.5 points per game) and seventh in total offense (530.2 yards per game), as the Sooners qualified for the College Football Playoff. Quarterback Baker Mayfield was named the Sporting News National Player of the Year and finished fourth in Heisman Trophy voting, as Riley won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach.

I wonder if Stoops may leave after the 2019 season, with Riley taking over in 2020.
And I hope Riley (or whoever succeeds Stoops) can build a defensive unit that his offensive unit can be proud of.....I've seen enough of OU having to score over 40,50 and even 60 points to win. That's not championship caliber football.

I think if a person on the current staff has been groomed to be the next OU head coach it would be Cale Gundy. He has been by Bob's side since the beginning. He was also recently promoted to Assistant Head Coach. And he has a passion for OU football. Maybe one problem with Cale is he has never been a coordinator that is typically the stepping stone to being a Head Coach. But it is very very great news Riley has signed an extension and appears to be remaining at OU for a few more years at least. Hopefully more. He has been very good for OU and a great hire by Bob.

I think if a person on the current staff has been groomed to be the next OU head coach it would be Cale Gundy. He has been by Bob's side since the beginning. He was also recently promoted to Assistant Head Coach. And he has a passion for OU football. Maybe one problem with Cale is he has never been a coordinator that is typically the stepping stone to being a Head Coach. But it is very very great news Riley has signed an extension and appears to be remaining at OU for a few more years at least. Hopefully more. He has been very good for OU and a great hire by Bob.
I have thought Gundy was being groomed to succeed Stoops. After today, I'm not so sure.

I suppose I am living in the past. In the Fall I use the Houston Oilers logo, in the Spring it's the Colt .45 logo and in my head it's '70s OU football.

Dad was stationed in Randolph field and took us to the Astrodome in 68 when I was a little kid. Ive been a huge Astros fan since.....won the lottery drawing for World Series tickets in 2004 which was never played we lost in the NLCS but went to all the playoff games in 2004 and 2005 but didnt get lucky enough to win lottery again in 2005 for the WS....but got to watch some crazy good baseball. Love my stros.

I was there during them time when the guy would break in and sneak on the field and rub his bare butt on the outfield as part of team and city wide superstition...that was good times for the Astros.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT