ADVERTISEMENT

Money and happiness

hOUston...

OU scholarship offer
Sep 4, 2003
A&M, still happy with your SEC move? Is money the key to happiness? Did Johnny Manziel contribute to false expectations?

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/...fth-in-SEC-West-11289006.php?ipid=hpsportsctp

Looking back did OU missed out on its “Johnny Manziel”?

In 1980 he (Switzer) mistakenly felt so confident about signing a star quarterback that he sent OU's baseball coach to the formal signing of the scholarship. Despite an earlier oral commitment, the player had a last-second change of heart. Switzer, who called it "the biggest mistake I ever made," predicted it would cost him three Big Eight Conference championships and possible national championships.

The coach, confident he's secured an athletic option quarterback to follow in the footsteps of Lott and Watts, picks up the phone: "I've been 84-8 my first eight years here. You excited to keep that tradition going?!"

The kid, fresh off a legendary career at Fort Worth's Arlington Heights High School, sheepishly answers: "Um, coach, I've decided to go somewhere else."

And that's how Barry Switzer lost future All-American Turner Gill and three Big Eight titles to Nebraska.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
I will be very surprised if Sumlin is able to keep his job. If not, A&M will probably throw a lot of big money at the current hotshot coach that they think will move to College Station. It will interesting to watch comes to be. I personally dislike A&M as much as I do the Longhorns so I'm not rooting for Kevin.

Why wouldn't A&M be happy in the SEC? It's not like they were racking up conference titles in the Big XII either. So their lack of overall football success continues, but at least they are making a ton of money.
I took a look at A&M conference records. I think A&M has taken the same the same path as Arkansas - middle of the pack at best. A&M not playing UT (yearly) is not good for college football. Living in Texas I used to sit back and enjoy the fan's pre-game verbal fisticuffs followed up by the excuses. Too many old rivalries have disappeared.The next time OU plays NU will emotion be the same as it was in the Big 8/12?

Texas A&M conference records B12/SEC
Big 12 (1996–2011)
Year Record Standing
1996 4–4 3rd
1997 6–2 1st
1998 7–1 1st
1999 5–3 T-2nd
2000 5–3 3rd
2001 4–4 T-3rd
2002 3–5 5th
2003 2–6 5th
2004 5–3 T-3rd
2005 3–5 4th
2006 5–3 3rd
2007 4–4 T-3rd
2008 2–6 T-5th
2009 3–5 5th
2010 6–2 T-1st
2011 4–5 T-6th
SEC (2012–present)
2012 6–2 T-5th
2013 4–4 T-7th
2014 3–5 T-9th
2015 4–4 8th
2016 4–4 8th

Last edited:
I took a look at A&M conference records. I think A&M has taken the same the same path as Arkansas - middle of the pack at best. A&M not playing UT (yearly) is not good for college football. Living in Texas I used to sit back and enjoy the fight followed up by the excuses. Too many old rivalries have disappeared.The next time OU plays NU will emotion be the same as it was in the Big 8/12?

Texas A&M conference records B12/SEC
Big 12 (1996–2011)
Year Record Standing
1996 4–4 3rd
1997 6–2 1st
1998 7–1 1st
1999 5–3 T-2nd
2000 5–3 3rd
2001 4–4 T-3rd
2002 3–5 5th
2003 2–6 5th
2004 5–3 T-3rd
2005 3–5 4th
2006 5–3 3rd
2007 4–4 T-3rd
2008 2–6 T-5th
2009 3–5 5th
2010 6–2 T-1st
2011 4–5 T-6th
SEC (2012–present)
2012 6–2 T-5th
2013 4–4 T-7th
2014 3–5 T-9th
2015 4–4 8th
2016 4–4 8th

IMO, they won't. Those Teams were the foundation of the Big VI...VII...VIII and XII. Traditions were formed...Legends were born. I don't believe that today's players are willing to invest the Sweat Equity to try to bring back Yesterdays. Too much 'What have you done for me, lately?'

IMO, they won't. Those Teams were the foundation of the Big VI...VII...VIII and XII. Traditions were formed...Legends were born. I don't believe that today's players are willing to invest the Sweat Equity to try to bring back Yesterdays. Too much 'What have you done for me, lately?'

I agree, Senior. The fact is almost everything is different now. None of the kids playing for OU today were born when OU and Nebraska were playing "every" year, year in and year out. When OU and Nebraska were put in different divisions...that hurt the rivalry, IMO. What happened was so many had to think that the Texas OU rivalry was much more important that the Nebraska OU rivalry. Well, I always thought they were equal except the Longhorns were so much easier to hate than the pretty much classy Husker fans. There was always more respect for the rival Sooners and Huskers. It was never that way among the Sooners and Horns. Why couldn't OU have played Nebraska every year? Alabama and Tennessee play every year and they aren't in the same division. But I digress. Heck, I bet there's not the same emotion for the OU-Texas game on today's squad as there use be.

I agree, Senior. The fact is almost everything is different now. None of the kids playing for OU today were born when OU and Nebraska were playing "every" year, year in and year out. When OU and Nebraska were put in different divisions...that hurt the rivalry, IMO. What happened was so many had to think that the Texas OU rivalry was much more important that the Nebraska OU rivalry. Well, I always thought they were equal except the Longhorns were so much easier to hate than the pretty much classy Husker fans. There was always more respect for the rival Sooners and Huskers. It was never that way among the Sooners and Horns. Why couldn't OU have played Nebraska every year? Alabama and Tennessee play every year and they aren't in the same division. But I digress. Heck, I bet there's not the same emotion for the OU-Texas game on today's squad as there use be.
Spot On, Okla...I don't see the same sort of emotions on today's squads for ANYTHING...It's called HEART, and rarely do we see a player, from any school, who has much of it...That's the reason I was so fond of Sterling Shepard...He had Heart and he played with all he had, every game...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT