ADVERTISEMENT

Mini-Sooner Intel: April 20, 2021

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
No, I didn’t forget. Between basketball craziness and other things, just never got back around to writing about the recruiting aspect of the Rivals camp from the guys I interviewed.

Well, now’s that chance.

The Intel. Let’s roll.

‘Like a son to them already’

A lot of 2022 names worth tracking, but we begin in the 2023 class and Longview (Texas) High wide receiver Jalen Hale.

Ranked No. 8 overall in the initial Rivals 100, Hale has been a name to watch for months and months now. And credit to OU for offering as early as it did because a lot of big boys have followed since, but none of them appear to resonate as much as the Sooners right now.

“I just like the coaches and the receivers,” Hale said. “Coach Simmons, Gundy and Riley. It’s real good. Like a son to them already.”

Hale has offers from coast-to-coast, but the first school he mentioned visiting once the dead period finishes June 1 was OU. Other schools to get a look could include Alabama, Ohio State, Texas A&M and USC.

giphy.gif

But man, OU is in about as good of a position as you can be.

“I like how they move their receivers all around, and I like how much they’re going to throw the ball,” Hale said.

He lived up to his billing in Coppell, but he’s probably a little shorter than the 6-3 he’s listed at right now. It felt like Talyn Shettron was the best receiver there, with Hale next in line.

The quicker OU can get him to campus, the faster this could be wrapped up. And Hale will be watching what happens with the rest of the class.

“One thing I’ll have to see is what other wide receivers are committed there and how I would fit into that offense,” Hale said. “I have to find the fit.”

OU doesn’t appear to be hurting for the 2023 receiver class, and it’s hard, at least right now, to see this class not including Hale.

‘I was surprised when they came into the picture’

We go from receiver and 2023 to defensive back and 2022 and Monroe (La.) Neville cornerback Lorenzell Dubose.

A three-star prospect, Dubose was offered by OU a couple of months ago. It obviously resonated, but as time has gone on, sort of wondering how the mutual interest was still coming along.

Nothing to worry about.

“Everything has been real good in building that relationship,” Dubose said. “I’ve been in contact with them a lot, Coach Manning and Grinch.”

Dubose said he has set up two official visits so far, Purdue and Oregon State. After the event, he said he planned to show up at OU’s spring game this weekend. Still checking to re-confirm that, but Dubose did take a self-guided visit to Mississippi State for the Bulldogs’ spring game last weekend.

The OU offer felt like a bit of a shock when it happened. Not just from recruiting fellas, but also from Dubose himself.

“I was surprised when they came into the picture,” Dubose said. “I didn’t think I was gonna get that offer. I’ve always watched them growing up. They call me almost every day and check on me. Good coaches, good people, especially Coach Manning.”

The 2022 class is no doubt excited about being able to take trips again, but you could tell a lot of these kids are hoping to make their commitments before the season.

Even though they can visit during the season, many recruits are trying to cram five weekends in the summer to go visit their favorite schools.

“I don’t want to wait too late because the offer could go away or the spots could fill up. That’s just how it goes,” said Dubose, who wants to announce before his senior season.

Dubose said the biggest difference with him right now is his ability to track the ball, and that was on full display in Coppell. It was a good day bordering on great, and you could see Dubose get more and more comfortable as the camp kept going.

No OU official visit planned just yet, but he is hoping that will be one of his final three trips.

‘Me and him on the same field are going to be a problem’

One of the biggest stars of the camp was unquestionably Edmond Santa Fe’s Talyn Shettron. He came in with the lofty ranking and showed why repeatedly in earning the WR MVP honors and an invite to the Five-Star Challenge in June.

We’ve seen anything can happen no matter how great of a receiver class that gets puts together, and Shettron offered some reasoning as to why he’s not worried about the loaded 2022 class.

giphy.gif

“I mean pretty much OU is a place where not just one receiver is going to shine,” Shettron said. “They’re going to put all of us in a position to make plays, to score.”

The 2022 class looks to be another solid one with Shettron, Luther Burden and Jordan Hudson, and Shettron said he will continue to play a huge role in trying to add more members to #ChampU22, regardless of position.

But in particular, it might be nice to start getting to know those other receivers more. He’s starting to do that with Hudson.

“I met Jordan last week, chatting it up, really cool, good dude,” Shettron said. “The big thing is we all wanna win. He’s very competitive. Me and him on the same field are going to be a problem for a lot of defenses.”

Shettron said he’ll get his way back to OU as soon as he can, even mentioning he wouldn’t mind making the 30-mile drive to Norman on June 1.

Who Shettron was as a freshman compared to who he is now is a major revelation. Someone who has absolutely put in the work to become better in every way possible.

It’s showing in the rankings and on the field. Still, there’s more to do.

“I’m definitely working on my route running,” he said. “Getting to my depths a lot more and being more detailed with my craft.”

It worked on this day as cornerback Lorenzell Dubose only had one name he wanted to throw out in terms of the best he went up against. You got it, Shettron.

‘One of the best defensive line coaches in America’

You look at OU’s targets at defensive line, and it’s an embarrassment of riches for Calvin Thibodeaux and Jamar Cain.

However, the deal hasn’t been closed yet with any of those big names. And if something were to happen, there are options. One of them sure feels like defensive end Nico Davillier.

giphy.gif

Closer to 6-3 than 6-5, but it was a good day in Coppell for Davillier, and the three-star prospect from Arkansas knew it.

“It felt good out there today,” Davillier said. “A chance to go out there and compete. I was excited. I could have won them all, but I lost two. I’ll learn and get better.”

giphy.gif

At this point, he only has two official visits set up with Nebraska and OU. That trip to Norman? You guessed it, #ChampUBBQ weekend, June 18-20.

“They have one of the best defensive line coaches in America,” Davillier said. “Coach Thibs and Grinch are the coaches I’ve been in contact with.

“Coach Thibs – he just keeps it real. He says I can play at that level, and that I’d be a great fit with my athletic ability.”

Davillier said he has no knowledge of the OU defenses of woeful past like 2017 and 2018, mentioning all he knows is what Grinch has been able to do and loving what he sees.

He said his plan is to take all five officials before the season and announce. He’s hoping the final three trips are Arkansas, Mississippi State and Colorado.

Key for him will be that feeling when he’s on campus.

“It has to feel like home,” Davillier said. “I’ll be looking at that, the staff and I need a good business school for education.”

‘It’s a step in the right direction’

And we close out this edition going to the 2024 class and Del City defensive lineman David Stone, who was as impressive an OKPreps freshman as I’ve seen in a while, especially at a position like defensive line.

He already fits in and showed that by being among the best of the best when it came time for the elite OL vs. the DL to close out the camp.

“It was a great experience,” Stone said. “I’ve been grinding every day to make sure I make the most of these experiences. I want to be the best me. Just as far as staying calm and using my hands in the trenches, it’s a step in the right direction.”

giphy.gif

The camp clearly worked as just hours later Oklahoma State offered. Then a couple of days later it was Baylor making the offer.

There’s no question OU is aware of Stone, and it might just take seeing him in person to make the offer call and try to make it a little more special with the in-person offer.

giphy.gif

Whatever the case, OU is clearly among the first schools Stone would like to visit whenever he gets the opportunity.

“I want to visit OU, OSU, USC, schools like that,” Stone said. “I don’t know when I’ll go on visits, but I’m excited to start seeing places.”

Again, it’s early, but it’s tough to envision how Stone doesn’t become a Rivals 100 prospect. He’s going to continue to grow into his body, is already quick off the ball and powerful. There’s a lot to like and a lot of time to watch just how good he can become.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.