ADVERTISEMENT

Mini-Bonus Intel/Scoop: Aug. 12, 2018

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
17e6d1fc-7dec-4e87-8af1-8365477aab68-original.jpg

(#ChampUBBQ, Part III)

Start off by wishing my dad a happy 66th birthday. Went through a series of tests in the last month to find out he doesn't have cancer so that was the only birthday present he needed.

We're gonna empty out the ol' #ChampUBBQ notebook here and try not to utter the phrase #ChampUBBQ anytime soon.

Henderson putting a pause to commitment talk

Hey, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. Never ever get a kid's thought about a big-time recruiting event as it's going on or right as it finishes.

Their judgment is cloudy, and they're using emotion instead of logic. There's no doubt in my mind 2020 ATH Michael Henderson meant what he told @Josh_M about committing sooner than later at the time he was asked.

Give it a week, add a Texas offer and let's pump the brakes on Henderson committing to the Sooners. At least right now.

Full update coming with Henderson later this week on Scoop, and yea, he says a lot of positive things about OU, about Riley. It still looks incredibly positive besides the backing off a bit on commitment talk.

- Knew when he visited Texas, he would be offered.
- OU, Texas only schools not offering at quarterback. Both see him as an ATH.
- OU absolutely sees him as Dimitri Flowers... and that's a good thing. Henderson is able to see the big-time benefits to being in that position.
- Sooners continue to make him a priority so he continues to view OU in high regard. Lincoln Riley, Cale Gundy and now Shane Beamer. Getting to know 'em all.
- Gut feeling? He wants to see how his junior QB numbers put him in the national quarterback conversation. I think he will/would gladly be OU's Flowers if he's not an elite 2020 QB prospect.

Understand his line of thinking and situation a lot more and definitely don't think he should depart Josh's Hot 11 commitment countdown. But... prob not during the next couple of months.

Major Sr.: 'Stacey won't be the only one'

Had a chance to check out Midnight Madness for Millwood as the Falcons began their practice 12:01 a.m. last Monday. Obviously a chance to check out running back commit Marcus Major, but also an opportunity to talk with Major's father, Marcus Sr.

His father was ready to talk #ChampUBBQ, saying it didn't shock him one bit when four-star offensive tackle Stacey Wilkins committed to OU less than a week after the event.

"You could tell by how he was acting," Major Sr. said. "The body language, his facial expressions. You knew he was coming. And I'll tell you what, Stacey won't be the only one."

Wilkins told Josh that Wilkins is eyeing juco DE Jacoby Jones to recruit to #NewWave19, and Major Sr. said the same thing that Jones is definitely one to be watching for.

A lot of positive news also surrounding linebacker Shammond Cooper, but as we've said pretty consistently the last two weeks, that will become a numbers-crunching game as to whether Cooper can be in the class.

As for the BBQ, Major Sr. said it was another incredible visit to Norman. Another chance to feel that family vibe. And yep, another person stunned that OU president Jim Gallogly was in the middle of it all.

"I mean when you see the president of the university hitting and getting hit (with water balloons), that's something," Major Sr. said. "You see how special of a place it really is. I couldn't be happier for my son."

fa04f9a3-f911-4e47-bde4-f596b52c8c10-original.jpg

(Yep, recycling the Davon Graham pic again)

Graham pumped about Riley's attitude

End with another note about 2020 Keller (Texas) Central WR/DB target Davon Graham. Hope you got a chance to check out the full story earlier this week and wanted to add this.

Asked every recruit about head coach Lincoln Riley, obviously. The answers are starting to become formulaic that you begin to think you could write 'em down without actually asking.

- Young
- Energetic
- Relates to kids well
- Family man
- Offensive guru
- Winning tradition

Like, duh, heard it all before. So when asked Graham about Riley, liked that it was a different answer.

"He's a young guy. With him being young, we'll be much closer," Graham said.

Yep, heard that before. Now for the kicker.

"I love his playcalling on the field. He takes a lot of risks. I like that. He reminds me of a young Bob Stoops in that he's not afraid.

"And I know he wouldn't toss me to the side. You know, like if I got injured or something like that, I know Coach Riley would still take care of me and care for me."
- Graham

That wraps up #ChampUBBQ for now. Sent so many texts and DMs to 2019, 2020 class members, but ya strike out quite a bit now - just the way it is trying to reach kids in 2018. So we'll keep plugging away in that regard but also time to start looking ahead to Florida Atlantic weekend (Peyton Powell, Marcus Hicks, etc.), now incredibly less than three weeks away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.