ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops and Texas. What actually happened?

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
First off, I haven't talked to Mike Stoops. But I know plenty of people around him that I don't have to. And for the 1,000th time, Mike was never the source many on the board made him out to be. So for all you jackholes that wanna be jackholes, good for you. Jackholes!

I can tell you Chris Del Conte and Steve Sarkisian absolutely hired Mike Stoops and the deal was done in handshake form for almost a week. You have to understand Del Conte and Stoops go way back to Arizona and I'm told Sarkisian and Stoops became close friends at Alabama. So it was a no-brainer done deal.

I was told Mike was headed out to Dallas today to meet up with Texas coaches. I was told the UT facility is currently closed so the new staff was meeting in Dallas.

Sometime after word got out, someone "above" Del Conte and Sarkisian put a stop to the hire, I don't know for certain, but you can probably guess the donors paying for Herman's buyout were not going to stand for Stoops being hired.

I don't know if Mike can go back to Alabama. As I said, I haven't spoken with him. But a source told me he turned down the DC job at North Texas to take the Texas job. And that job is no longer open.

So I know most don't care, but I have information and I thought I would share for those who do care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News