ADVERTISEMENT

Method, Means & Opportunity - A Crime of Position

fairdinkem

Sooner signee
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2003
The following is for fun but also to vent my absolute ire in a civilized manner. My stripes don’t change in that this is a bit long so if you don’t do long, don’t. For those that just cannot help themselves I remind you that no one can insult you without your permission either tacit or covert. If you don’t understand that, you should. There are a few on this board that could pull that off led by my good friend Sunburnt Indian. Otherwise, pffft.

I composed this from what I’ve heard and read of the situation. What I would really like is for anyone that has content to add to it particularly with respect to the means, motive & opportunity themes. Many of you have much more information on this dumpster fire than I do, and I look forward to not only to your thoughts but some of you have a keenly developed sense of humor that I love.

Only 2-names were used in the following to protect the innocent (if the remote chance any exist)

A crime has been committed. Not quite a crime of passion but let’s call it a “crime of position”. As you investigators start combing through and assembling a list of suspects and co-conspirators, how do you decide which ones to investigate further, and which ones are unlikely to be involved?

According to US law, and the University of Oklahoma football best practices, tenets, obligations & etiquette there are three aspects of an OU football coaching crime that must be established before said coach(s) will be found guilty of a crime of position: means, motive, and opportunity (MMO). The suspect must have the ability to commit the crime (means), a perceived believable reason to do it (motive), and the chance to carry it out (opportunity).

In cases such as the rape and pillaging of the OU football program the means, motive, and opportunity must be established in this unprovoked and heinous assault for the solution to be arrived at and punishment(s) rendered.

Means
Did the perp have the ability to commit the crime?
If recruiting and/or financial inducements/promises were used, did the perp have access to the knowledge of the willingness of the parties in crime to go along with the scheme? Could they keep the caper concealed? Was the perp willing and capable of using the portal and/or decommitment to facilitate co-conspirators into the scheme?

If a lack of strength of character and honesty were required, is the perp deranged enough to pull it off? If the crime required sophisticated planning, is the perp intelligent enough to carry it off? If the crime was expensive to carry out, is the perp wealthy? If stealth were necessary, did the perp have a limited list of co-conspirators that could keep the plan under wraps until the slaughter occurred?

Sometimes, it may seem that a scumbag doesn't have the means to commit a crime, when in fact, they do. A true scumbag may be much stronger developed sense of evil than he seems. An expert in the use of innovative offensive play calling in critical situations may suddenly pretend to know nothing about them.

An intelligent person may hide their intellect & deep understanding by diabolically calling offensive plays into a defensive scheme designed to stop them. All the while the perp fashions a perpetually pained & confused expression on his face as if he does not understand what is going on against Baylor & OSU. This was not the Black Sox scandal or even Pete Rose (who bet only on the Reds winning?)

Motive
Why did the perp commit the crimes?
Motive is often the most difficult to establish, but the most important of the three. While many people might have the means and opportunity to commit a crime, hopefully few will have a strong enough motive & low enough morals & respect to want to carry it out. Determining motive often requires an understanding of psychopathic behavior as well as evidence gathering from flight tracking software and the round-up of the usual suspects.

Motives include love, money, revenge, jealousy, and fear of the SEC (NOT the Securities & Exchange Commission), Potential Heisman candidate QB’s & RB’s, the risk that his porcelain-offense shattering into shards on weekly national TV, and the inability to speak the language of HS defensive linemen to name a few. Combine the above and you get a thinly, though effective, smoke screen to work behind.

USC talks since Sept., claiming to the USC audience upon arrival that “that the whole thing was done & completed in 36-hours” Right, do you think those coaches showed up at the airport 6-hours after the game and got on a plane to LA without discussing these changes with their wives & families?! Bob making him go into the locker to address the team as he was attempting to slink off like an Aggy without a mussed mullet? And, once inside standing face to the floor saying nothing until Demarco demanded that he speak.

Opportunity
Did the perp have a chance(s) to commit the crime(s)? Did he secretly enlist and share his plans with certain coaches and “key” players on the team and on other teams? Maybe texting and calling committed recruits to apprise them of certain options that have arisen?

Was the perp in the area(s) at the time the crime(s) was committed? Do they have an alibi that establishes their presence somewhere else? “I’m not going to be the coach at LSU” Did this individual have the opportunity to abuse, misuse, abase, lie to, and treat like dog $hit the very coach that put him in the position he was in with a gesture that was one of the greatest acts of selfless giving and respect for the university in OU history and probably football in general.

If it is in your interest, please carry on and list your MMO’s. I am a wreck and only facing the beast by trudging through all the muck & scotch (single malt of course) will make me well again. The last time I was this angry was when & how Jimmy dumped Tom in Dallas or when I got cheated out of 70,000 shares of vested stock at par of $3.23/share when we were purchased by a competitor for $36.50/share. My advice is when your corporate office is in Herzliya – hire a Tel Aviv attorney.

Just as free agency ruined pro baseball & football does the portal and NIL usher in the end of classic college football as we knew it. Nothing more than legalized moonshining. Fortunately, our brass is as clever as any out there and we will win those battles. Pity the ones that cannot.

Thus begins the era of the Entitlement Crew (a great song by the Hold Steady) that can and does go a long way in rationalizing this maniacal behavior. I was laughing at Austin and the Horns up until about last Sunday when I received a Bevo sized pile of karma.

The father of my best friend from HS & college served as the team neurosurgeon for 20+years told me that when Gomer Jones 1-year stint replacing Wilkinson was up one of the OU brass that knew Bear Bryant called him and asked him if he had any suggestions of whom to look at. The Bear said that he did not have a recommendation. About 10-days later the Bear called our guy and recommended Jim Mackenzie. Though he only coached in 1966, the Sooners were back on track. I trust someone still has the Bear’s cell number.

fairdinkem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News