ADVERTISEMENT

Meet Moxie Mayfield, your new football crush!

CarolinaCrimson

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
Charlotte, North Carolina

By Tom Fornelli | CBS Staff Writer

Baker Mayfield Is My New Favorite Player
: Baker Mayfield isn't the best player on his own team. Hell, he's not even the best player on his own offense, but the Oklahoma quarterback solidified his position as my favorite player in the country on Saturday night. When we've talked about Big 12 quarterbacks this year, most of the focus tends to go to TCU's Trevone Boykin, and Baylor's Seth Russell before his injury. And for good reason, as they're both good, but have you looked at Mayfield's numbers?

After Saturday night's win over Baylor, Mayfield has not only has a quarterback efficiency rating that's 17 points better than Boykin's, but he's also thrown two more touchdowns and four fewer interceptions. The numbers only tell part of the story, though, as they aren't really what makes me love Mayfield as much as I do.

It's his attitude. It's that thing he has when, after being tackled from behind by Baylor's 6-foot-9, 280-pound defensive end Shawn Oakman, the 6-foot-2, 214-pound Mayfield jumps up and gets in Oakman's face. Sure, if they were to possibly get in a fight -- and if you watched Baylor-Oklahoma on Saturday night, you were waiting for somebody to fight -- Oakman would probably go Holly Holm on Mayfield's Ronda Rousey, but afterward, Mayfield would get up and keep yapping at Oakman.

The kid has moxie! And that's why I'm calling him nothing but Moxie Mayfield from now on. I don't care how annoying of a nickname it is. That's just who he is now. Oh, and if you didn't already know, Mayfield had to walk on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

Moxie!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...s-meet-moxie-mayfield-your-new-football-crush

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.