ADVERTISEMENT

Mavericks

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
@JConXtsy

I'm stupefied at how quickly things fell apart. This Mavs team looks absolutely pathetic and disinterested. I think Kidd is 100% the biggest problem. His refusal to stick with what works and his unwillingness to play Wood is mind blowing. Kyrie was a mistake and I think Luka eventually demands out. What a fall after last season's WCF appearance.

Curious what your thoughts are. Think I'm going to tune out the rest of the season like I did with OU men's BB. I really struggle to watch uninspired quitters in sports. These guys are living a dream and it's not good enough for them.

Reactions: kb8583
They traded off a bunch of good players for Kyrie, and it was a disaster on many fronts. Kyrie is a renter player, and the guys they gave up, plus draft picks, for a guy who has worn out his welcome at every stop. made no sense. This is what the origlnal Mavs management used to do to Cleveland every year, when Dallas built their first Division finals team in the late 80's. Just incredibly bad trade. Now their one great player, Luka, has worn his body down, not just with NBA play after a deep run last season, but also a bunch of international play. And after this season, Kyrie will be gone. Woods is an okay big, but he's not the kind of guy that makes for a great playoff team. And the guys they traded off, weren't bad players. Woods is not much better than who they traded. They don't look like they'll even hold onto a playoff spot. And if they get there, they might not win a game.

This team wasnt going anywhere even prior to the Irving trade. The chemistry would have been better but they would still be fighting for playin status and strapped against salary cap. You cant win a championship with Powell as your only low post presence with a bunch of poor perimeter defenders, pure and simple. Hardy is the 3rd best player on this team and needs to find pics of Kidd humping a sheep apparantly to get more PT. If your goal is to outscore folks might as well go 3 guards and play him more. But from their effort and body language the quit is on

Bullock isn't the defender anyone thought he was. Dorian was our cornerstone. Bullock isn't.

Kleber is still working his way back. His shot is way short still.

Powell is Cuban's best friend on the team. That's suspect, because I don't know what other NBA team Powell would play for. It's hard to believe Javale McGee couldn't do something more around the rim. Heck, I don't know why we aren't seeing more Markieff as well.

Kidd kept looking for more scoring options like Green and Hardy when defensive options is what we need.

Blaming either Luka or Kyrie is silly. They are both posting their expected, or better, stats. When they're out there, they're ready to score against anyone. Being teamed up with the spastic Powell and Green doesn't do either of them any good. Bullock is being asked too much of defensively, and now he can't hit a 3 - probably from exhaustion. Hardy and Green are just spark plugs.

I'd prefer Kidd to have 2 lineups that suit the 2 stars instead of forcing Luka to speed up and Kyrie to slow down.

Luka, McGee, Kleber, Bullock, Bertans. McGee and Kleber crashing the paint and muddying up the inside. Luka as he does best... alone and everyone else ready for the kick-out.

Kryie, Morris, Wood, THJ, Pinson. Morris and Pinson crashing the paint and muddying up the inside. Kyrie and Wood on the pick and roll with THJ on the wings.

Ntilikina, Green, and Hardy need to be that 6th-man spark plug for each of those lineups.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Javale McGee - our "starting center" according to Jason Kidd prior to the season.
10 minutes per game up to Thanksgiving.
7 minutes per game since.

They traded off a bunch of good players for Kyrie, and it was a disaster on many fronts.
They traded Dinwiddie and Dorian, both 30 years old and at the peak of their worth for 31 year old Kyrie. It was a smart trade. Got rid of 2 players at peak value. If we can re-sign Kyrie this summer, his trade value will be much greater than Dinwiddie and Dorian by the trade deadline next year should the team continue not to gel.

Dinwiddie and Dorian went 1/18 yesterday. They aren't as you remember them.

I guess the board has become something more than a Sooner board. I can appreciate you Maverick fans but isn’t there another outlet for you guys. Come on guys. Is this what you signed up for?

I guess the board has become something more than a Sooner board. I can appreciate you Maverick fans but isn’t there another outlet for you guys. Come on guys. Is this what you signed up for.

I guess the board has become something more than a Sooner board. I can appreciate you Maverick fans but isn’t there another outlet for you guys. Come on guys. Is this what you signed up for.
Eduardo Najera was the first Mexican NBA player and played for the Dallas Mavericks. It has now become a Sooners thread.

Seriously, the title of the thread is pretty telling. You could just avoid the thread if it bothers you, then you can stare at the other non-Sooners threads.

Football is king, and there isn't any football being played. This is common off-season operation here. Most of us have chatted for decades on this board, so sometimes it's more about who we're chatting with rather than what we're chatting about.

I guess the board has become something more than a Sooner board. I can appreciate you Maverick fans but isn’t there another outlet for you guys. Come on guys. Is this what you signed up for?

Is really that troublesome to chat sports that aren't Sooner related in March? This is a little "get off my lawn" grumpy.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
They traded Dinwiddie and Dorian, both 30 years old and at the peak of their worth for 31 year old Kyrie. It was a smart trade. Got rid of 2 players at peak value. If we can re-sign Kyrie this summer, his trade value will be much greater than Dinwiddie and Dorian by the trade deadline next year should the team continue not to gel.

Dinwiddie was a streaky shooter and a poor defender but seemed to have good leadership. Dorian was never much of a scorer but he became very dependable corner 3 guy and was a much better defender than Bullock who cut his teeth with the Mavs and I think he was a big part of their chemistry.

The lineup Kidd has against the Pacers right now is awesome. Absolutely no D whatsoever! :)
Wood, Irving, Hardy, Green, and Ntilikina!!! Hustle ball!

Well look at Mr. McGee go.
Morris as well. This is either intentional tank time by the Mavs, or Kidd is finally experimenting with some alternative lineups rather than trying to force something that isn't working. I wouldn't mind riding into the playoffs with a 7-0 run.

Is really that troublesome to chat sports that aren't Sooner related in March? This is a little "get off my lawn" grumpy.
No offense to Oklabama but I did picture Clint in Gran Torino after his post. Oklabama yer a great Sooner fan imo. Please don't take offense. 👍

Reactions: Oklabama
Morris as well. This is either intentional tank time by the Mavs, or Kidd is finally experimenting with some alternative lineups rather than trying to force something that isn't working. I wouldn't mind riding into the playoffs with a 7-0 run.

Play like last night and every game is winnable. But I think they did to much damage to climb back to the 6th seed. See what happens in the play in if they hold it together and I'll take the 8th spot against a known to choke Nuggetts.

When Kyrie joined the team, the Mavs were 29-26 and were in 5th place in the West. Since the trade seven weeks ago, the Mavs have gone 8-13 and have dropped to 11th in the West, and likely not to make the playoffs. I know Luka has missed games, but he missed games before the trade.
They are pretty unikely to re-sign Kyrie, will make their salary cap situation precarious. And they lost three future draft picks including one unprotected first rounder.

Anyone who thinks this was a good trade isn't sane and/or paying attention.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
When Kyrie joined the team, the Mavs were 29-26 and were in 5th place in the West. Since the trade seven weeks ago, the Mavs have gone 8-13 and have dropped to 11th in the West, and likely not to make the playoffs. I know Luka has missed games, but he missed games before the trade.
They are pretty unikely to re-sign Kyrie, will make their salary cap situation precarious. And they lost three future draft picks including one unprotected first rounder.

Anyone who thinks this was a good trade isn't sane and/or paying attention.
OK, since you're the only person paying attention....

You'll remember that the Mavs were 7-10 since New Years prior to shopping for Kyrie.

That was padded by a previous 21-16 record in 2022 which was padded by an 11-6 December that required Luka Doncic (not Spencer Dinwiddie or DFS) having a historic month and closing that month out 6-0 with a 40pt triple-double average. 42/11/10 average in those 6 games.

Basically, the Mavs have been a .500 - sub500 team all year and nothing much has changed with Kyrie, because we're just atrocious inside. It doesn't matter if Luka is on the floor or Kyrie is on the floor. Our inside D is non-existent.

Luka has a +/- of +2.0 on the year.
Kyrie has a +/- of +5.6 with the Mavs. That's the best +/- of his entire career.

OK, since you're the only person paying attention....

You'll remember that the Mavs were 7-10 since New Years prior to shopping for Kyrie.

That was padded by a previous 21-16 record in 2022 which was padded by an 11-6 December that required Luka Doncic (not Spencer Dinwiddie or DFS) having a historic month and closing that month out 6-0 with a 40pt triple-double average. 42/11/10 average in those 6 games.

Basically, the Mavs have been a .500 - sub500 team all year and nothing much has changed with Kyrie, because we're just atrocious inside. It doesn't matter if Luka is on the floor or Kyrie is on the floor. Our inside D is non-existent.

Luka has a +/- of +2.0 on the year.
Kyrie has a +/- of +5.6 with the Mavs. That's the best +/- of his entire career.
And despite that, since he arrived the Mavs are 8-13, and likely to lose him at the end of the season. Kyrie is not a winner. And given the time anywhere, he is tough on team chemistry.

Let's loop it back to the Sooners. What experience did Luka have playing with an HOFer? A year that is easily written off as Dirk in retirement.

Luka is gaining valuable info on playing with another HOFer and seeing if ain't that easy. These are pros. We can commentate how one guy isn't as good as the next, but what makes this fascinating is that the line is so skim. College sports are the exact opposite. It's night and day different between athlete 1 and athlete 2. College athletics are so easy to evaluate and interpolate. "Joe #1 can't hold the jock strap of Joe #2. They really shouldn't even be in the same game together." Pros are fascinating to me, because they're not.

Let's say Kyrie bolts (I'm not certain he does). Luka now has a frame of reference when speaking with front office on how to navigate the team. Maybe he has some self reflection on what he needs to do to assist the team. He wasn't learning shit before the trade.

I read my own post and realize I'm probably not clear. I have an issue with Luka's confidence. That guy demonstrates nightly he's the best player on the floor even against the likes of LeBron James, but yet we lose regularly, because from my perspective, he's always making excuses for himself - ala the bitching on every non call foul against him.

If that kid can finally realize that he's the man and nothing else matters, there is no stopping him. Jordan had this same progression. Not many people remember Jordan didn't win a title until his 7th year, and even he admits that only came after a serious psychological realization.

Look no further than the all star game where Luka was making excuses that his game doesn't translate to that format. He has mental blocks. He needs whatever it takes to help him realize he's the man. He's the best on the court at any given time. The only thing holding him back is his self doubt, so he expects to survive by fouls and when he doesn't get the foul, he folds. Instead of missing the bucket because he's thinking about the foul, he needs to focus on the bucket and **** the foul. Get some self worth and own the game. Lebron James never lacked self worth. That's the separation between these two guys.

Now everyone's focused on Kyrie, because everyone is uncomfortable to talk about Luka.

I read my own post and realize I'm probably not clear. I have an issue with Luka's confidence. That guy demonstrates nightly he's the best player on the floor even against the likes of LeBron James, but yet we lose regularly, because from my perspective, he's always making excuses for himself - ala the bitching on every non call foul against him.

If that kid can finally realize that he's the man and nothing else matters, there is no stopping him. Jordan had this same progression. Not many people remember Jordan didn't win a title until his 7th year, and even he admits that only came after a serious psychological realization.

Look no further than the all star game where Luka was making excuses that his game doesn't translate to that format. He has mental blocks. He needs whatever it takes to help him realize he's the man. He's the best on the court at any given time. The only thing holding him back is his self doubt, so he expects to survive by fouls and when he doesn't get the foul, he folds. Instead of missing the bucket because he's thinking about the foul, he needs to focus on the bucket and **** the foul. Get some self worth and own the game. Lebron James never lacked self worth. That's the separation between these two guys.

Now everyone's focused on Kyrie, because everyone is uncomfortable to talk about Luka.

Good analysis. Luka is highly flawed with regards to maturity but he's still very young.

Apparently Kyrie made a comment post game that he's in this long term.

Good analysis. Luka is highly flawed with regards to maturity but he's still very young.

He did, and also the media is making a big deal about kyrie saying, "I didn't come here for this.". I actually love it. I see it as Kyrie saying to Luka, I came here for you, man, step up. Luka is chronologically a baby. He needs an hof'er like Kyrie to tell him this stuff. He ain't ever going to listen to people he looks down upon. He's an arrogant kid. I love that arrogant kid, but that's what he is right now.

I really think Kyrie is realizing Texas is a good place for him. Texas has really accepting fans. Texas fans can usually deduct everything down to the game and doing bring politics into the mix.

Would anyone even think Kyrie is a "problem" if he had only existed in Texas? Hell no. In Texas, nobody would have cared what he thought about anything except if he scored points like the **** he's doing right now.

I like him. I stick by it.

Turn out the lights
The party's over
They say that all
Good things must end
Call it a night
The party's over
And tomorrow starts
The same old thing again

Turn out the lights
The party's over
They say that all
Good things must end
Call it a night
The party's over
And tomorrow starts
The same old thing again
Do you exist to enjoy anything, or do you exist to be miserable?

Get in the car and enjoy the ride for once.

Reactions: Oklabama
I enjoyed the sweeping of the Horns in softball, and the women's gymnastics overcoming a horrible performance on Beam with win the region very much.

When the Mavs made their horrible trade, I said so immediately. You've done nothing but defend it. I can't see any way that they can procure a big man of enough quality to make any difference in the near future, unless horrible odds show up overcoming in the lottery.

I've been accused in the past, both here and on the premium board, of being a sunshine pumper, especially for defending Bob Stoops. So I must be enjoying something .I'm an occasional outspoken realist with a whole lot of experience as a Sooner fan.

I've like Mark Cuban in the past, but not so much these days. Not sure why Donnie was dumped. But the decision makers, whoever it really is for the Mavs, aren't doing well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT