ADVERTISEMENT

Matchups of Unbeaten Teams

Any YCN post is worth responding to. What an effort. At this point hard to see any undefeated teams other than possibly Ohio St-Mich. State winner. SEC West will be a bloodbath. Hard to see USC surviving Pac 12 South and maybe having to play the Ducks twice. No way NDame or BYU make it. So like last year. And most years. Maybe one unbeaten team. A one loss team likely to win it all.

Entering week 4, there are 82 possible remaining matchups of unbeaten teams, including 3 this week.

Outstanding posts above YCN. Thank you. Sentences like the one above have me believing that you are a bionic man with terminate-and-stay-resident algorithms constantly running in your head. Your eyes are probably like bar code scanners.

;)

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Can YCN do the math and figure out the odds of having ANY unbeaten team at the end of the year. The only real obvious one to me is the Mich. State-Ohio State winner. Hard to see either losing to Wiscy or NW. But maybe the Ohio State QB play last year was a mirage.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I think the odds are probably different from year to year, but with the rise of power conferences where many of the teams play practically no teams of note in non-conference play, and the vast majority of those games at home, I think the odds must be better now than they were some years ago.

Of course around 75 years ago it was common to play 9 games in a regular season, then it became 10, then 11 and 12.

My hunch is that this year probably won't have more than one unbeaten team before bowl season, and probably no one that wins it all. That's just a guess. You can't set firm odds on a moving target, so a hunch is just a guess tempered by experience.

Can YCN do the math and figure out the odds of having ANY unbeaten team at the end of the year. The only real obvious one to me is the Mich. State-Ohio State winner. Hard to see either losing to Wiscy or NW. But maybe the Ohio State QB play last year was a mirage.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Wow. Great work compiling all this schedule info. As you pointed out, now that we're all getting into conference play, the number of unbeatens will dwindle quickly. I'm thinking the only unbeaten teams will be from the Big 12 and possibly the B1G. I don't see the ACC, Pac 16 or SEC champ getting to the playoff without losing at least one game.

[contents archived]

First of all, your presence on the board is a sight for sore eyes YCN...glad to see you. I'll NEVER forget 2008 when you pointed out relatively early that OU still had a shot to play for the NC...and then later in the season that if Tech beat Texas we WOULD play for the NC.

Was posting a lot on the Horn board that year. When I shared your initial info, was greeted by quite a few giggles and insults. When I shared your info later in the year that OU was in if Tech beat Texas, the giggles were replaced with angry and vulgar responses. When it actually happened...the volume of exploding Horn heads was gargantuan. Was one of the more gratifying periods of message board posting I've experienced. ;)

Now, what is this "contents archived" message?? I'm sure it's likely operator error on my part, but can't see your work!!

I closed those posts because the thread was too long and it was a pain to navigate the replies. By just having one active stats post, it keeps the focus where the action is, now and later.

I closed those posts because the thread was too long and it was a pain to navigate the replies. By just having one active stats post, it keeps the focus where the action is, now and later.

Understand now. Was thinking I might've missed an attachment with additional info. Always enjoy how you leverage stats to put a new or different perspective on things. As always, much appreciated.

I only list games on the week of the game when they involve just one unbeaten team. All of the games I listed above after this week involve two unbeaten teams, meaning that one team must lose. And the later in the season they occur, the more dramatic the outcome from the game result.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
I only list games on the week of the game when they involve just one unbeaten team. All of the games I listed above after this week involve two unbeaten teams, meaning that one team must lose. And the later in the season they occur, the more dramatic the outcome from the game result.

Appreciate it...very much.

As the number of unbeaten teams dwindles, more attention is focused on one-loss and even two-loss teams that are near the top of the conferences, like North Carolina, Oklahoma, Baylor, Stanford, Utah and Florida. Expect to see a lot of turmoil here in the next three weekends.

Week 11 Scores Involving One Unbeaten Team
Saturday, 11/14

11:00 AM CT: Ohio State (10-0), WON at Illinois (5-5) 28-3
02:30 PM CT: Oklahoma State (10-0), WON at Iowa State (3-7) 35-31
03:30 PM ET: Clemson (10-0), WON at Syracuse (3-7) 37-27
06:00 PM CT: Memphis (8-2), LOST at Houston (10-0) 35-34
07:00 PM CT: Minnesota (4-6), LOST at Iowa (10-0) 40-35
07:00 PM CT: Oklahoma (9-1), WON at Baylor (8-1) 44-34

Unbeaten teams that lost in Week 11

Baylor (8-1)

Remaining unbeaten teams (5)
AAC: Houston (10-0)
ACC: Clemson (10-0)
B12: Oklahoma State (10-0)
B10: Ohio State (10-0), Iowa (10-0)

Week 12 Games Involving One Unbeaten Team:

11:00 AM CT: Purdue (2-8) at Iowa (10-0) ESPN2
03:30 PM ET: Wake Forest (3-7) at Clemson (10-0) ESPN2
03:30 PM ET: Michigan State (9-1) at Ohio State (10-0) ABC
03:30 PM ET: Houston (10-0) at Connecticut (5-5) ESPNU
06:30 PM CT: Baylor (8-1) at Oklahoma State (10-0) FOX

Remaining Games Between Unbeaten Teams:

The only possible remaining game between unbeaten teams is the Big Ten Championship Game.
A loss by Ohio State or Iowa means no more games between unbeaten teams prior to the bowl games.

Week 12

None

Week 13

None

Week 14

Saturday, 12/5
BIG TEN CG: Ohio State vs Iowa (Indianapolis IN)

Week 15

None

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT