ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the 2017 Sooners....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Senior losses include: (my list includes does not include every senior, just the ones I think are worth mentioning, and does not include Tay Evans who has retired, and Charles Walker who may be forced to retire).
On defense:
Wade NT
Dimon DE
Roberts DE
Ahmad Thomas S
Evans LB
Austin CB
On offense:
Wren C (he's listed as a senior, but has only played two years here, so maybe he returns in 2017)
Westbrook WR/RS
Baxter WR
Lewis WR
Of these ten players listed, the two best are Evans and Westbrook in my opinion.....and Westbrook will be very hard to replace, as he is truly a "Mount Rushmore talent"....and OU probably loses two more games this year without him (Texas and Texas Tech).

Possible early NFL defections could be S Stephen Parker and RB Samaje Perine.

OU has played all but three (WR Farrar, OL's Roberson and Swenson) of its 2016 class, which bodes well for the future. (Correct me if I missed someone).

But....
The RB depth will feature:
Mixon
Adams
Anderson
Serman (4-star recruit)
Brooks (4-star recruit)
Sutton (a RB/ATH from Lackawana CC)
Obviously there's a redshirt or two here, but the potential overall, barring injuries, is excellent.

WR/TE corps will add:
Rambo (4-star recruit)
Lamb (4-star recruit)
Calcaterra (4-star recruit, a hybrid TE)
Hall (3-star recruit as a TE)
At least 2 or 3 of these guys could play immediately.

3 4-star LB's arrive.
3 4-star DB's arrive.
1 4-star OL arrives.

Through all of this breakdown, the only concern for me....as far as the team's personnel goes....is the absence of any interior defensive linemen arriving as of today's date. I am fairly sure that the staff will get at least two, with perhaps one from the JUCO ranks. What needs to happen also is having Lampkin and Overton (medical redshirt) becoming good contributors.

I also believe OU will find another good receiver from either the JUCO ranks or as a transfer from another school...guys like Saunders, Bradley, Westbrook, Lewis, Justin Brown, Stills, etc. always seem to crop up.

Mayfield again will be the heart and soul of the team for one more year and hopefully, guys like Kendall, Murray and recruit Chris Robison will stay in fold. (I hope Kendall sees playing time vs Iowa State the way he did yesterday. He can be a good one, but has yet to prove himself against good competition as Mayfield's backup).

I figure Mixon's gone after this year unless the lawsuit figures prominently into his decision. Too much money on the table to risk an injury playing college football.

Reactions: brsooner
I figure Mixon's gone after this year unless the lawsuit figures prominently into his decision. Too much money on the table to risk an injury playing college football.
You're right, and going into the NFL should represent a safe haven for him if the lawsuit goes south on him.

Also OU loses Amani Bledsoe till the middle of next season due to apparently being suspended by the NCAA for a PED violation.

I'm not so sure Mixon opts to leave. Unless he just gets a huge grade due to his potential, I just don't see his career to this point having the impact on his draft position that his overall talent could push him to with another year. Especially if Perine leaves, and Mixon next year could be a top guy at the position for the season.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Also OU loses Amani Bledsoe till the middle of next season due to apparently being suspended by the NCAA for a PED violation.

I'm not so sure Mixon opts to leave. Unless he just gets a huge grade due to his potential, I just don't see his career to this point having the impact on his draft position that his overall talent could push him to with another year. Especially if Perine leaves, and Mixon next year could be a top guy at the position for the season.

I wondered what happened with him when I heard someone ask about his suspension. I guess I missed the news.

Steven parker should return. There is a good possibility that he isnt a top 5 round pick with as bad of a season as they have had. Could go undrafted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT