ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley and clock management

That was a poor example of clock management,almost went to overtime with 3 in hand.Rodney Anderson bailed him AND Mike out!

How so? I thought Riley was a bonehead for most of the afternoon, but he still had a timeout when he called that run play. I think they ran it left to set up the field goal attempt from the left hash, but Anderson saw an opening and scored.

Watch the replay and get back with me.If it wasn't for Rodney Anderson's run it would have looked like Teaxas Puke Orange.They wasted so much time I had neck veins ready to pop.Trust me it wasn't good.

Watch the replay and get back with me.If it wasn't for Rodney Anderson's run it would have looked like Teaxas Puke Orange.They wasted so much time I had neck veins ready to pop.Trust me it wasn't good.

I don't need to watch the replay. What is the point that you're trying to make? OU still had a timeout and had plenty of time for a running play and a FGA. What am I missing here?

Anderson was feeling it tonight.So happy for him after all he has been through was too cool..I was so happy he got his day.That leap over the top in the end-zone was a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
I was shocked how fast the final 2 minutes went down to 1, but quite frankly I didn't want to see KSU's O again. Kill the clock and kick it (or Anderson house it, thank goodness).

My beef with Lincoln:
If I see the Wildcat to Flowers, who is slow out of the blocks (but love everything else he does for us), one more time this season I'm going to wish Riley leaves with Mikey. Stupid, stupid, playcalling on those redzone calls.

I think we are seeing the growing pains with a new coach.We as fans have to live with it .I am convinced he will get better.He is after all a first year coach.

Reactions: iasooner1
I was shocked how fast the final 2 minutes went down to 1, but quite frankly I didn't want to see KSU's O again. Kill the clock and kick it (or Anderson house it, thank goodness).

My beef with Lincoln:
If I see the Wildcat to Flowers, who is slow out of the blocks (but love everything else he does for us), one more time this season I'm going to wish Riley leaves with Mikey. Stupid, stupid, playcalling on those redzone calls.

IF we see it again the smart play is to throw to Baker (especially if he's not covered like 2/3 of those)

Reactions: Senior Sooner
My problem with the Wildcat is that it telegraphs 99% of the time to the D that the deep back is running it, so key on him. And in the red zone there isn't that much space to pass off of and do you really want your RB or FB throwing it down there in that cramped space?

What is maddening is that Snyder showed Riley how to gain yards all game long by picking up the extra blocker by having the QB run behind both backs blocking for him...instead we pointlessly split Baker out, lose the extra blocker, and then have a Fullback without Baker's elusiveness run the ball. There's really nothing to argue about here - it failed twice. It even failed with a tailback. I think we ran 3 Wildcats for minus a half yard.

Riley is overdue for a new wrinkle. Why can't we bring back the shuttle pass (Anderson or Adams are quick out of the blocks for such a play)?

Time management has been an issue all year, but the end of this (KSU) game was perfect. It was an example of what TO DO. We got the ball with 2:19 left, drove the length of the field, drained the clock down under :10, and put ourselves in easy FG range. The TD run was a bonus. With our Def struggles, the last thing we needed to do was score quickly and let KSU have their turn.

Just don't understand running the wildcat A) to the right and B) with Flowers.

Flowers block. Sermon carry. And go behind the best offensive lineman in the country.

Just don't understand running the wildcat A) to the right and B) with Flowers.

Flowers block. Sermon carry. And go behind the best offensive lineman in the country.

Maybe the coaches saw something in film study that made them think it would work. But to try it multiple times...*sigh*. Hopefully they learn that "cute" is no replacement for simple, basic run calls - especially in the red zone.

My problem with the Wildcat is that it telegraphs 99% of the time to the D that the deep back is running it, so key on him. And in the red zone there isn't that much space to pass off of and do you really want your RB or FB throwing it down there in that cramped space?

What is maddening is that Snyder showed Riley how to gain yards all game long by picking up the extra blocker by having the QB run behind both backs blocking for him...instead we pointlessly split Baker out, lose the extra blocker, and then have a Fullback without Baker's elusiveness run the ball. There's really nothing to argue about here - it failed twice. It even failed with a tailback. I think we ran 3 Wildcats for minus a half yard.

Riley is overdue for a new wrinkle. Why can't we bring back the shuttle pass (Anderson or Adams are quick out of the blocks for such a play)?
Indeed. Isn't the extra blocker the real advantage of the wildcat? Sort of like with the Belldozer.?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT