ADVERTISEMENT

Legitimate coaching options

ConstableTom

Sooner commitment
Dec 12, 2018
As has been stated by someone in another thread, there will be names dangled purely for the purpose of getting raises. Things that will likely dictate who the next coach will be:

1. They won't have any hint of scandal. So rule out Urban, the Art Briles tree, and Joey Freshwater, though his issues have seemingly been more about lifestyle than ncaa stuff. I think Joe C will see a mercenary vagabond without a ton of loyalty. (Think scumbag that just left)
2. They are highly unlikely to be a well established head coach. Too much $$$.
3. They are highly likely to be a successful coordinator. That's been the OU blueprint except for the spectacular failure that was Smellsofbourbon.

If the above items are correct, it wouldn't totally eliminate a HC from consideration, but it would probably not be a splashy hire.

If we focus on coordinators, these seem like strong possibilities based on a need to immediately have recruiting cred and and to position us for the SEC:

1. Dan Lanning - Georgia DC. The defensive upgrade would be huge.
2. Marcus Freeman - ND DC. A lot of positives, maybe a question of SEC potential?
3. Mike MacDonald - Michigan DC. Young, pro resume.
4. Brent Venables - DC Clemson.

I'm having a hard time seeing us hire an OC because a lot of the best ones seem to have a degree of baggage,

Weird/wild/unlikely hires that make some degree of sense however unusual.

Rhule
Biennemy
Campbell

*DISCLAIMER* I have zero connections to anything. I'm just a hardcore CFB fan and a diehard OU fan. I'm interested if someone has ideas about a good OC hire to be HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News