ADVERTISEMENT

Kyler Murray gets the start

n-SPANKING-CHILD-628x314.jpg

I'm not a fan of the optics. Riley should bench him for the entire game. Anything less will just be fuel for the talking heads to claim the punishment wasn't sincere and Riley only cares about winning. Just my humble opinion.
Reminds me of Lou Holtz benching 3 starters on the eve of the 1978 Orange Bowl and then having his Arkansas team totally destroy OU 31-6, knocking them out of a national championship. Say what you will about Holtz, that night he reminded his team what the pecking order was going to be, unconditionally.
I feel bad for Coach Riley right now. To have his team close to playing for a national championship with the best player in the country and with recruiting going well, he has to deal with this issue.

So Holtz set the standard? What exactly did those 3 Razorbacks do to get kicked off the team for that game?

IMHO, the best thing for the Team and Baker. The OU program is bigger than 1 coach or player. Baker's team mates will see what Lincoln represents and Baker is always better with a mountain to climb. It will renew his fire to compete here at the end of the season. Baker's motivation to succeed will never be greater. Onto number 8 and the Heisman...heaven help anyone who tries to get in his/our way. BOOMER!

I expect the team to rally around this and play with a passion that we've not seen in a long time. Everyone else in the country might hate Mayfield, but his teammates love him, and I believe they are going to play lights out on both sides of the ball.

I expect the team to rally around this and play with a passion that we've not seen in a long time. Everyone else in the country might hate Mayfield, but his teammates love him, and I believe they are going to play lights out on both sides of the ball.

Actually, I've talked to quite a few folks down here in Houston and most think what Baker did was hilarious. Yes, the die hard anti-OU fans have some negative crap but most fans see through the shit being doled out in this PC world. It's common courtesy and respect for players to shake hands. From the time one is five years old and playing sports, shaking your opponents hands has been drilled into you. Every sport fan knows this. Refusing to do so makes you the bad guy. Some of you are forgetting this. And don't let the 24/7 sports media tell you differently. They've been gifted a great Heisman story and some are eating it up. Not me. As someone stated on the pay board... I hope his Heisman statue has him holding his nut sack and pointing.

Actually, I've talked to quite a few folks down here in Houston and most think what Baker did was hilarious. Yes, the die hard anti-OU fans have some negative crap but most fans see through the shit being doled out in this PC world. It's common courtesy and respect for players to shake hands. From the time one is five years old and playing sports, shaking your opponents hands has been drilled into you. Every sport fan knows this. Refusing to do so makes you the bad guy. Some of you are forgetting this. And don't let the 24/7 sports media tell you differently. They've been gifted a great Heisman story and some are eating it up. Not me. As someone stated on the pay board... I hope his Heisman statue has him holding his nut sack and pointing.
I bet you the Kansas will not receive any punishment.

I don't see it happening, but I say let Murray hang half a hunerd on them in the first half and then let Baker hang another 50 on them in the 2nd half.
I'm also good with Riley saying it's being handled internally and Baker starts. I just don't like the optics between all and none. All shuts them up and none gives the same ammo as some does.

I have a problem with the entire country talking about Baker but nobody talking about Louisville’s Ronald Walker who made a jerk off motion at the Syracuse sideline Saturday.
Could it be the game was not covered by the drama queens at ESPN?

Let's stop blaming reacting to childish behavior and the absence of good sportsmanship on political correctness.
And let's stop saying stupid things in Mayfield's defense, like having the Heisman statue "holding his nut sack".
Mayfield chose to retaliate by fighting bad sportsmanship with bad sportsmanship, as if the blowout score wasn't good enough retaliation. Mayfield delivered this problem, not the media. He's the most iconic player in CFB and chose to wallow in the mud with the "pigs" from the University of Basketball at Kansas.....on national television.Now, Coach Riley has some fence mending to do with everything else he has to deal with.
By his own admission, however, Mayfield has taken responsibility for his behavior and admits to his mistake....something most here choose to ignore.
Mayfield and his teammates have much more important things to be concerned with than whether or not players and fans of other teams like them. What Kansas did with refusing a handshake and then going after Mayfield with cheap shots is indefensible and no one should give Kansas players and coaches a free pass either. But that should be a KU problem not an OU problem.
A week earlier, Penn State coach James Franklin sprinted after one of his players at the end of the Ohio State game and made him return to the field and shake hands with the opposing team after Penn State lost a heart breaker. Riley's suspension of Mayfield is in the same spirit and is Riley's only option when all is said and done. It should not be about appeasing the media or fans like me. It should be about doing the right thing.
It is my hope now that this team continues its run and can learn from this and move on. No one deserves this more than Coach Riley.

Let's stop blaming reacting to childish behavior and the absence of good sportsmanship on political correctness.
And let's stop saying stupid things in Mayfield's defense, like having the Heisman statue "holding his nut sack".
Mayfield chose to retaliate by fighting bad sportsmanship with bad sportsmanship, as if the blowout score wasn't good enough retaliation. Mayfield delivered this problem, not the media. He's the most iconic player in CFB and chose to wallow in the mud with the "pigs" from the University of Basketball at Kansas.....on national television.Now, Coach Riley has some fence mending to do with everything else he has to deal with.
By his own admission, however, Mayfield has taken responsibility for his behavior and admits to his mistake....something most here choose to ignore.
Mayfield and his teammates have much more important things to be concerned with than whether or not players and fans of other teams like them. What Kansas did with refusing a handshake and then going after Mayfield with cheap shots is indefensible and no one should give Kansas players and coaches a free pass either. But that should be a KU problem not an OU problem.
A week earlier, Penn State coach James Franklin sprinted after one of his players at the end of the Ohio State game and made him return to the field and shake hands with the opposing team after Penn State lost a heart breaker. Riley's suspension of Mayfield is in the same spirit and is Riley's only option when all is said and done. It should not be about appeasing the media or fans like me. It should be about doing the right thing.
It is my hope now that this team continues its run and can learn from this and move on. No one deserves this more than Coach Riley.

I’ll just say I disagree & leave it at that. Baker apologized and Riley suspended him. As a fan, I accept them for what they are, a necessity to appease certain factions of society.

If Kyler is effective I see no reason to play Baker until the game is well under control, i.e., just as when Riley pulled Mayfield for Murray. Baker still gets to play his last game at Norman so what’s to bitch about?

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT