ADVERTISEMENT

Kicking game............

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I read where Austin Seibert is pushing both Nick Hodgson on field goals but also Jack Steed as the punter. I hope this guy is special because kickers have one of the most mental games on the field and he's a true freshman. It takes someone special.

One other question for Plaino or others. How many players have been both part of the kicking game and played another prominent position during the game. I know Joe Wylie was a great wishbone halfback and punter. I actually remember him quick kicking on third down. I think Mickey Hatcher was both a receiver and punter. One name I can't come up was a receiver in the 70's that also kicked off. Need some help or correction here.......

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I read where Austin Seibert is pushing both Nick Hodgson on field goals but also Jack Steed as the punter. I hope this guy is special because kickers have one of the most mental games on the field and he's a true freshman. It takes someone special.

One other question for Plaino or others. How many players have been both part of the kicking game and played another prominent position during the game. I know Joe Wylie was a great wishbone halfback and punter. I actually remember him quick kicking on third down. I think Mickey Hatcher was both a receiver and punter. One name I can't come up was a receiver in the 70's that also kicked off. Need some help or correction here.......
John Carroll

Reactions: K2C Sooner

Tinker Owens and Joe Don Looney punted....and I seem to recall Jackie Cowan (HB) punting during his time in the early 1960's.
Darrell Ray did kickoffs at least during one season which I believe was 1977.
Butch Metcalf (tackle) kicked PATS and FGS in the 1962-64 years.
Jim Weatherall did PATS in at least the 1950 season.....he missed a PAT vs Texas A&M in 1950 late in the game that prevented OU from tying the game at 28-28. But OU's defense allowed OU one more offensive series and OU scored late in the game to win 34-28. Sooner Magic started long before Switzer showed up.

Last edited:
Switzer used Joe Washington to quick kick a few times very effectively. As CT posted, Looney was an exceptional punter in college and I think he may have punted some during his short pro career. I'm sure there are others someone will remember and share with us.

Switzer used Joe Washington to quick kick a few times very effectively. As CT posted, Looney was an exceptional punter in college and I think he may have punted some during his short pro career. I'm sure there are others someone will remember and share with us.
Lance Rentzel punted on occasion.....his 50 yard run on a fake punt from his own end zone vs Texas in 1964 was memorable.....but was not a factor in a dismal 28-7 loss.

I believe Jon Harrison punted and played WR.... and Joe Washington was mean with the quick kick

I think this new kid is gonna be a huge weapon for us. I like his confidence. Some kickers turn out to be head cases but this dude seems like the real deal

Reactions: BillyRay
Killingsworth and Zable, one a wide, Zabel a tight end, both did some punting in 1969. But you have to remember that during the one platoon days,prior to 1964, lots of kickers and punters played regular positions. Darrell Royal did some punting.

It wasn't the question, but when I was a kid, NFL teams had only 33 man rosters. Lots of teams had players kicking or punting and being a back up at a regular position. Some great players punted or kicked and started.

Paul Hornung set the all time NFL record for scoring in 1961 I believe, because he scored a lot of touchdowns, and also did placements. 176 points in a 14 game season for Lombardi's first NFL title team. When he was suspended for gambling for the 1963 season, Jerry Kramer, and multiple time all pro guard, did the placements then.

I'm trying to remember which Sooner players might have punted and kicked. Mike Keeling definitely punted and was a full time kicker at least one season. John Carroll was the full time kicker in 1971 when he was a soph. And he did some punting in another year. Joe Wylie was the punter in '71. Carroll got hurt later and juco transfer Rick Fulcher took over, but I'm not sure exactly when that was. Carroll didn't play much at receiver though he surely took regular practice reps there.

I'm sure that Jon Harrison never punted in a game. He was only at OU for the 70 and 71 football seasons. Wylie was the punter both of those years. Wylie got hurt in 71. Carroll punted a little. I suspect. I know Joe didn't play rb as much, but cannot remember if Carroll took any game reps as a punter.

Tres Way came to OU to do both. And he kicked some early in his career. But the staff determined that the duties of both, which have very different mechanics, were detracting from both. So he became the full time punter, and somebody else did the kicking. I think Jimmy Stevens. Those results weren't too good either. But Tress became a better punter.

Killingsworth and Zable, one a wide, Zabel a tight end, both did some punting in 1969. But you have to remember that during the one platoon days,prior to 1964, lots of kickers and punters played regular positions. Darrell Royal did some punting.

It wasn't the question, but when I was a kid, NFL teams had only 33 man rosters. Lots of teams had players kicking or punting and being a back up at a regular position. Some great players punted or kicked and started.

Paul Hornung set the all time NFL record for scoring in 1961 I believe, because he scored a lot of touchdowns, and also did placements. 176 points in a 14 game season for Lombardi's first NFL title team. When he was suspended for gambling for the 1963 season, Jerry Kramer, and multiple time all pro guard, did the placements then.

I'm trying to remember which Sooner players might have punted and kicked. Mike Keeling definitely punted and was a full time kicker at least one season. John Carroll was the full time kicker in 1971 when he was a soph. And he did some punting in another year. Joe Wylie was the punter in '71. Carroll got hurt later and juco transfer Rick Fulcher took over, but I'm not sure exactly when that was. Carroll didn't play much at receiver though he surely took regular practice reps there.

I'm sure that Jon Harrison never punted in a game. He was only at OU for the 70 and 71 football seasons. Wylie was the punter both of those years. Wylie got hurt in 71. Carroll punted a little. I suspect. I know Joe didn't play rb as much, but cannot remember if Carroll took any game reps as a punter.

Tres Way came to OU to do both. And he kicked some early in his career. But the staff determined that the duties of both, which have very different mechanics, were detracting from both. So he became the full time punter, and somebody else did the kicking. I think Jimmy Stevens. Those results weren't too good either. But Tress became a better punter.

You're right..... I was thinking of John Carroll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT