ADVERTISEMENT

Kicker ?!

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
Can we have an open tryout for kicker please?? This guy is a bum. Does the special teams Coach sit in a recliner collecting a raise? Come on Venables fire this Coach and bench the kicker.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
A tired excuse. He is a man and can’t make a FG without reason.

You missed my point, but I’m not surprised. I agree we need to try someone else, but none of us know if there’s a more talented kicker on the squad. Maybe. Maybe not. We’ve been fortunate to have had above average special teams play for many years. Shit happens. Regardless, there are no Sooner Bums on this team.

Schmit was and is teetering on forcing Brent's hand. After he missed the second I said he's got one more try before someone else officially needs a turn.

When I was in high school 55 years ago, our HOF coach didn't expect much. This was in the days of all straight on kickers with square toed shoes. He expected our kickers to make 35-yard field goals consistently.

I'm sure that in college in the days where most good kickers are pretty consistent at making 50 yarders, we ought to expect a guy who can make an FG when the LOS is at the 30 or closer, especially with the wind and the ball close to the middle of the hashes.

He just doesn't consistently hit the ball squarely. Even extra points are an adventure half the time. When I saw the first game, I said this season, that OUr kicker would cost us a game. Today, he almost did.

I'm guessing he's a practice guy. Hits everything in practice but sucks game time.

Tim Duncan was the place kicker and Jeff Ferguson the punter (who helped preserve the 13-2 win over Florida St with taking an intentional safety on a bad snap late in the game).

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
I'm sure there are 12, 13 better kickers sitting on the bench. Venables is not going to play them because I'm sure he secretly hopes to lose.

You think it's an easy job, try it. I'm sure most of you still have eligibility.

For those who know golf, do you think it's easy getting the yips putting a golf ball? Imagine the stress of being a 20 year old kicking a ball, that is shaped to have a mind of its own, in a swirling wind. Not to mention knowing if you miss, you're going to be shit on by a few million people online, that are to fat to get off a couch.

He's trying his best...try supporting all of OU's players.

I'm sure there are 12, 13 better kickers sitting on the bench. Venables is not going to play them because I'm sure he secretly hopes to lose.

You think it's an easy job, try it. I'm sure most of you still have eligibility.

For those who know golf, do you think it's easy getting the yips putting a golf ball? Imagine the stress of being a 20 year old kicking a ball, that is shaped to have a mind of its own, in a swirling wind. Not to mention knowing if you miss, you're going to be shit on by a few million people online, that are to fat to get off a couch.

He's trying his best...try supporting all of OU's players.
“There’ are 12 or 13 kickers sitting on the bench”…and Venables doesn’t use them because he “secretly wants to lose”….
Really??

Plaino, you have a great memory, do you remember who kicked for us during our 2000 n.c. team and how much of a factor was he that year?
Of course I do. We have the same last name. In fact, I think for the only time, we had two Sooner players who had my last name.

Tim Duncan

Even though he was a little eratic, he pretty much ciinched the CCG on a very cold night in KC, when Bob sent him out to nail a 47 yarder to put us up ten with like two minutes left.

Schmit's field goal kicking has won the last two games and his two against Cincinnati was huge in the 20-6 win, in case anyone remembers.
Ain't gonna hold it against him ct but those two missed against ucf are usually automatic. Just saying.

Schmit's field goal kicking has won the last two games and his two against Cincinnati was huge in the 20-6 win, in case anyone remembers.
His kicks did not win the game.... he almost cost OU the game. What should have been an 8 point lead was 2 because of him. Against Texas OU had to score a touchdown to win whereas if he had made his earlier attempt, OU would have needed a field goal to tie. He has made all of his extra points so I will give him credit for that.

It's clear we need an upgrade at that position just as we did with punter. Nothing personal but this teams is striving for excellence and they are not getting it at that position.

Duncan was 13-21 in ‘00. He had a big leg, but you didn’t always know where the ball was headed.

That's why Bob sending him out to kick a 47-yarder with two minutes left was a pretty big gamble. But Tim nailed it

. KState was a pretty good team. They beat Nebraska again, and kicked a favored UTenn team in the Cotton Bowl.

That was the season Bob Stoops changed football for everyone by using spread principles. Nobody at the P6 college or pro level used them. Now it's the dominant offense for 95% of teams in some way.

He used it, because as a DC it was the toughest offense for him to defend against smaller schools. But it was considered too gimmicky for the big boys.

Guess not.

Michael Hunnicut converted .833% of his FG's, but is remembered mostly for his meltdown in the 2014 loss at home to Kansas State by a 31-30 score. Hunnicut missed one extra point and had one FG attempt blocked and his attempt from 18 yards out with 3:53 left in the game were killers.
But up until then Hunnicut was regarded as "the second coming".
My worst memory of an OU kicker imploding was the 1967 game vs Texas, a 9-7 win for the Horns.
Mike Vachon missed FOUR FG's....after kicking four a year earlier (1966) in OU's 18-9 win over Texas.....and kicking a late FG against Nebraska later that year in a game OU won 10-9.
Kickers, to me, can be like relief pitchers in that they can't be effective every time out regardless of their great careers. Dennis Eckersley and Mariano Rivera are good examples.

A lot of kickers are like a lot of relief pitchers. Closers. High pressure jobs, where being just a little off can make a huge difference. It's not uncommon either place, for someone to be terrific for a year or two, and such later. The great kickers and great closers tend to do that for a long time. But most don't. There are some pretty good NFL kickers who've been with four or five teams.

Michael Hunnicut converted .833% of his FG's, but is remembered mostly for his meltdown in the 2014 loss at home to Kansas State by a 31-30 score. Hunnicut missed one extra point and had one FG attempt blocked and his attempt from 18 yards out with 3:53 left in the game were killers.
But up until then Hunnicut was regarded as "the second coming".
My worst memory of an OU kicker imploding was the 1967 game vs Texas, a 9-7 win for the Horns.
Mike Vachon missed FOUR FG's....after kicking four a year earlier (1966) in OU's 18-9 win over Texas.....and kicking a late FG against Nebraska later that year in a game OU won 10-9.
Kickers, to me, can be like relief pitchers in that they can't be effective every time out regardless of their great careers. Dennis Eckersley and Mariano Rivera are good examples.
His was affectionately referred to as “Moneycut” before that.

Until I turned 65, I covered a high school football game on Friday night either as a stringer sportswriter, or for a couple of years as radio broadcaster for Plano games. When Hunnicut played at Richardson Pearce for a couple of years, I saw him play four or five times. He wasn't just the Mustang kicker, he was a very reliable high school wide receiver. He wasn't their best, but he was in the rotation and could catch the ball. I wasn't surprised when he caught that touchdown pass on a fake field goal that helped a dead looking OU team win in Stillwater because of that play. I'm thinking we went through three quarterbacks that day. I know we used two. We were down early by more than a TD I think, and that catch where he got absolutely drilled, was the play that really turned the game around.

That was the last game of the regualar season ten years ago, that sent us to the Sugar Bowl where we upset Alabama. I think that was part of the reason that Bob liked him. He was more than just a kicker.

Until I turned 65, I covered a high school football game on Friday night either as a stringer sportswriter, or for a couple of years as radio broadcaster for Plano games. When Hunnicut played at Richardson Pearce for a couple of years, I saw him play four or five times. He wasn't just the Mustang kicker, he was a very reliable high school wide receiver. He wasn't their best, but he was in the rotation and could catch the ball. I wasn't surprised when he caught that touchdown pass on a fake field goal that helped a dead looking OU team win in Stillwater because of that play. I'm thinking we went through three quarterbacks that day. I know we used two. We were down early by more than a TD I think, and that catch where he got absolutely drilled, was the play that really turned the game around.

That was the last game of the regualar season ten years ago, that sent us to the Sugar Bowl where we upset Alabama. I think that was part of the reason that Bob liked him. He was more than just a kicker.
What was crazy to me about that game was that OU scored 33 points, yet the TD pass from Bell to Saunders with 19 ticks to go was the only TD that the offense had that day. Sometimes you just find a way.

Once upon a time, I played football for the Plano Wildcats we thought we were special cause we had astroturf, looking back that stuff sucked to play on.

Still enjoy seeing that pic of Bob Stoops in the Florida State game after Jimmy Steven's FG looked squibbed and barely made it over the crossbar from no further than 30 yards out.

What was crazy to me about that game was that OU scored 33 points, yet the TD pass from Bell to Saunders with 19 ticks to go was the only TD that the offense had that day. Sometimes you just find a way.
The crazy last play made the score more deceptive. No XP. We had a punt return TD and Hunnicutt's TD. And two FGs l think. Z

Once upon a time, I played football for the Plano Wildcats we thought we were special cause we had astroturf, looking back that stuff sucked to play on.
When did you graduate? We won the second state title my junior year in '67. Alex Williams was the first black quarterback in the history of the state, to win a state title on an integrated team. I was a manager, not a player, but John Clark had as much impact on my life as any man. I wept when he died in January at 89.

When did you graduate? We won the second state title my junior year in '67. Alex Williams was the first black quarterback in the history of the state, to win a state title on an integrated team. I was a manager, not a player, but John Clark had as much impact on my life as any man. I wept when he died in January at 89.
class of 90, under the great Tom Kimbrough, coaching in Melissa now.

I know Tom pretty well. I did his coaching show on the radio in 1981, and was a stringer for a little paper in Plano the year of his first state champion team's run tn 1977. Even did the article for the program for the football banquet. I can still tell you all kinds of amazing things that went on that season, including winnng the tie breaker with Sherman for the district title, back when only one team went to the playoffs from each district.

When I first read your post, I thought you said that Coach Kimbrough was coaching at Melissa. But you were talking about you coaching there. I even use the same barber as Tom. Last saw him in February at Coach Clark's funeral. Two great high school football coaches. Now, both Hall of Famers. Tommy went in in the last year.

I'm Facebook friends with his daughter.

A group of us players still meet up with him once every couple months for lunch. Guy can still remember every play from every game we had. We went 8-1-1 senior year and did not make playoffs, only 2 teams go in back then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT