ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Heupel

You guys gonna go get your former QB to be your new head coach? I still didn't see Riley leaving for USC. You guys could have matched the offer, you have great facilities, a huge fan base, and have had a much better decade. Perhaps he didn't want to coach in the SEC?
Our old former QB hates OU. Remember we fired him. WS

You guys gonna go get your former QB to be your new head coach? I still didn't see Riley leaving for USC. You guys could have matched the offer, you have great facilities, a huge fan base, and have had a much better decade. Perhaps he didn't want to coach in the SEC?
And I'll say this. How many coaches can take the dumpster fire that was Tennessee and make them competitive? He had a very good shot at beating Alabama. Now I will say I've had a few glasses of wine, but I think he's our next coach.

Reactions: soonersoldier
And I'll say this. How many coaches can take the dumpster fire that was Tennessee and make them competitive? He had a very good shot at beating Alabama. Now I will say I've had a few glasses of wine, but I think he's our next coach.
I will say I have been impressed with his job this year at Tennessee. I will also say you are definitely enjoying some good wine 😁

Reactions: Soonermikee5
Josh disappointed me as our OC. But he's shown a lot since his departure. Josh is a continued success story but I believe his ties to Oklahoma are over. Most importantly, we need a defensive guy.

Reactions: Oklabama
I wonder what Riley's thoughts were about OU leaving the Big 12 and going to the SEC, the timing of him leaving speaks volumes on that

You know, I never did hear Riley's true thoughts on moving to the SEC. It sure looks like he is getting as far away from it as possible.
Not too hard to figure out. He gets to coast in the Pac-12, which is probably closer in strength to the American Athletic or Mountain West Conference than it is to the other Power Five conferences. And he gets to cherry pick all of the 5* talent in Southern California.

Compare that to slugging it out to go 7-5 every year, and fighting with Arkansas and Mississippi State to see who gets that SEC slot to the Music City Bowl, and it's really a no-brainer for Lincoln.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Well Josh obviously wasn't ready when he got the OC at OU. He was in over his head and Bob had to fire him...his own fault. He does seem to be much better now though but I'm afraid that bridge was burned.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Unless Riley can do more with more instead of less with more like he did at OU and he can get a good DC that can recruit some studs be it Grinch or whoever then we will likely see him get the brakes beat off him in the Playoffs like OU was, if they ever make it. He will always lose a couple games he shouldn't but with enough talent his players may be able to overcome his shortcomings managing a game.

A question that hasn't been asked yet is how far will OU be able to go next year with Ralph Rucker at QB?

I'm kind of starting to like it. Josh will give his heart and soul to OU. Plus he brought us our last NC, maybe he can bring us another. Joe C knows what he's doing.
Husker fan here just checking in on Y'all... be careful what you wish for when it comes to legacy coaches... ask us up North how we know... LOL! Best of luck to Y'all! I really enjoyed being at the game in Norman this year! see you in Lincoln!

It's a pretty small sample size, with a roster that was largely assembled by Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt. As I recall, they had some highly ranked recruiting classes. The proof will be (if he stays there) how Josh does over the next three or four seasons, when the roster consists of players that he recruited (or got to transfer in). Remember, Josh inherited a 13-0 team at UCF, and they got progressively worse every year he was there. They were 6-4 when he bolted to go to Tennessee.

Reactions: Oklabama
Tennessee would meltdown if Josh left after one year. That alone would be worth it for me, but I think in 3 years he will have that program back to respectability. They play hard. For you guys it would be an underwhelming hire, but maybe the right one. There are very few coaches like Saban, or Meyer that can take a down program with massive expectations and you know they will win.

There are even fewer guys than a Lincoln Riley, or Ryan Day that are in hire replacements for legends that keep up the winning pace. As a Florida fan I know this first hand. We've been a hot mess for over a decade now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT