ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Paterno on Switzer

Jan 8, 2003
It is so sickening that Paterno once said CF would be better off without the Switzer's of the world when the m'fer enabled little boys to be raped for years.

Pedd St. is by far my most hated team the way those sick freaks just turned a blind eye to the whole situation to still worship JoPiss.

I'm sure most of you know that Paterno took back his negative comments Cabot the King.

Yes and at Switzer's request he wrote the foreword for Switzer's book. And Paterno actually did what he was suppose to in the debacle. He reported what he knew to his superiors. They were the ones that were guilty of the cover up.

There's doing what you're "supposed" to do and then there's doing what a moral sense requires you to do. One simple little comment to your boss does not a formal complaint make. He should have fired the guy, or reported him to the police rather than to the cover-up officials above.

Once you fire a guy, any subsequent coach/school asking about the coach could be told what the problem is. Actually, an active child predator needs to be reported to the police; firing just makes him go into hiding, doing the same dirty deeds elsewhere.

This does not apply to my heroin/cocaine habit, however.

There's doing what you're "supposed" to do and then there's doing what a moral sense requires you to do. One simple little comment to your boss does not a formal complaint make. He should have fired the guy, or reported him to the police rather than to the cover-up officials above.

Once you fire a guy, any subsequent coach/school asking about the coach could be told what the problem is. Actually, an active child predator needs to be reported to the police; firing just makes him go into hiding, doing the same dirty deeds elsewhere.

This does not apply to my heroin/cocaine habit, however.

Your comments point out how little you know about what happened and how you have bought into the media edition without any examination of the facts.

Sandusky did not work for Paterno in 2001. He had retired in 1999. Thus, Paterno could not fire him. There have been many stupid suggestions as to what Paterno should have done to include one from someone who should be able to cognitively think about in Mike Lupica.

Lupica has stated that Paterno should have demanded that Sandusky report to him and confront him.

Same issue. Sandusky could have told Paterno to go fly a kite.

Paterno was never accused by any law enforcement entity, was not indicted, had Linda Kelly, the AG, state that Paterno had cooperated fully and was not considered a subject of investigation, further had Frank Fina, the prosecutor in the Sandusky trial with subpoena power, state that the AG had found no evidence that Paterno was involved in a cover up.

No one at PSU has been convicted of anything in a court and you have to be kidding me if you believe that the Curley/Schultz/Spanier trial will ever take place as the state of PA does not want the resounding ass kicking it will get at a trial when the other side gets to cross examine witnesses and present their own side of the case as opposed to Lewis Freeh, without subpoena power, blathering about guilt with no evidence and no cross examination, FULLY DIVULGING IN THE REPORT THAT WHAT HE WAS ALLEGING WAS POSSIBLE, NOT PROBABLE.

And, by the way, the NCAA came out with a policy about 6 months ago as to what an employee should do if they are made aware of a similar situation.

TA DA !!! - "Report it to your supervisor"

You would have to believe that the NCAA policy was vetted by dozens of lawyers and human relations experts

So the NCAA, with the assistance from a number of experts, took about 3.5 years to come up with the same solution that Joe Paterno came up with in about 24 hours just by himself.

Of course, don't let any facts get in the way when your mind is already made up.

Sandusky did not work for Paterno in 2001. He had retired in 1999. Thus, Paterno could not fire him.

Convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse that occurred between 1994 and 2009. At least 20 of the incidents are said to have taken place while Jerry was still an employee of PSU.
Spanier, Paterno, Curley and Schultz had known about allegations of sexual abuse as early as 1998 (Freeh Report).

Sandusky RETIRED in 1999 but remained a coach emeritus with an office, and access to, Penn State's football facilities.

Your defense that Paterno couldn't "fire" him is really a liberal use of semantics. If you don't think Paterno could have told someone with the ability to fire Sandusky that he refused to work with a pedo, then you are the precise definition of ostriching.

I'm sure for 10 years, JoePa roamed the halls of the PSU football facilities angry that he had to work side by side with a pedo, but he just didn't have the authority to fire him (or call the cops).

Reactions: Schoonerman
Okay, I know this has been beaten to death but I gotta vent...Penn State sycophants be damned.

Paterno hiding behind the "I reported it to my superiors" is absolutely Sergeant Schulz-esque. Joe had a moral imperative to find out what happened and follow up especially in light of the horrific nature of the possibilities (which turned out to be the case). Throughout Paterno's tenure, we were all told ad nauseum that he was the conscience of college football and that PSU football was the "grand experiment." We also were told that Paterno knew if a third team safety failed an English mid-term or if one of his football players ran a stop sign on campus, yet he couldn't be bothered to confirm or deny the monstrous allegations that might have been taking place right under his nose?

"Hey, boss, you know that report I gave you a couple of weeks ago, what have you found out? If you don't get to the bottom of it, I will" you know, something like that. It comes under the heading of moral courage. If you don't think Paterno had that kind of clout after 50 years on the job, you're kidding yourself.

I also can't help but wonder if Paterno would've simply "kicked the issue upstairs" if the possibility existed that one of his children was being sodomized.

When he said, "I should've done more" it may be the understatement of the century.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT