ADVERTISEMENT

JD Runnels

22LR

Sooner signee
Dec 1, 2015
Players transferring from team to team... Good players gone after one season... Players getting paid... Over-priced tickets, apparel, concessions.... Sitting in the hot sun baking to death... Nope, it's not about college football this time. It's the latest "professional" football league, the UFL.

The Oklahoma City Wranglers will kick off in a make-shift stadium in the OKC Crossroads Mall parking lot in April 2023. Hey, why not? I used to watch professional boxing in the Gary Dale's BBQ parking lot arena and it was a blast. As for the UFL, it's difficult to believe it will have a long life, but should be entertaining to watch, even if it is a mishmash thrown together in a has-been mall parking lot.

What makes it better is JD Runnels has been named Head Coach. I absolutely love the guy.

Link: Oklahoma City Wranglers

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
My son is trying out for the team. He' 26 has a job making 6 figures, working from home in IT. Misses playing, his college career was cut short due to injury. Plays WR, has a couple of state rings playing Kyler Murray. I see nothing wrong with him wanting to see if he still has it.

I would find it hard to get motivated to workout and practice everyday just to play in this type of league. Its not like any of them are going to move on to the NFL.

A lot of old football players just want a place where they can still put pads on and play. A lot will do it without any pay. They just love football, and ran out of a place to play eventually. Some when the finished high school. Some when they found out that college football athletes were way better than them. Some finished college but weren't NFL prospects.

They just want to play. And if you play, you better be in at least decent shape.

I get it that these guys still desire to play but how many football fans are interested enough to watch the games? What is the average attendance for semi-pro football? Semi-pro leagues have a long history of failure. Arena football may be the most successful. It’s a joke…. like selling grift trading cards.

Last edited:
This league is basically outdoor arena football. 24 total players, the salary cap for each team is 350k, they have 14 teams and will play an 18-game schedule.

Last edited:
leagues like this are kinda sad. Guys trying to hold on to a dream when they should really be moving on with a career other than football.
If the people playing want to do it that’s ok. However, football is a violent game. The players in a league like this are risking injury to their bodies for nothing but shits and giggles. Doesn’t seem worth it to have a limp or bad back the rest of your life over a moment or two of back yard football.

My son is trying out for the team. He' 26 has a job making 6 figures, working from home in IT. Misses playing, his college career was cut short due to injury. Plays WR, has a couple of state rings playing Kyler Murray. I see nothing wrong with him wanting to see if he still has it.
I never had it.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT