ADVERTISEMENT

Jayda = shortstop?

Hoodleehoo

Walk-on candidate
Gold Member
May 1, 2023
I know it's football day, but as we wait for the game, I have a softball thought. I suspect we may see Jayda move to shortstop at times this season, if not play most of her time there. She's played all over the field this fall which means nothing, as all the girls are moving around to fill spots. But Jayda has always, and still does, consider herself a middle-infield player. I presume she's very good at it, too.

Of course it appears Hodge is most likely to be the new SS, with Coor playing RF, and Pickering the DP. Hodge is indeed very good at SS, though she does make mistakes at times. However, her offense seems very limited. It also doesn't allow Ella Parker (who looks to be special) to get any bats, or Torres who is a pretty good offensive player.

Coor has been a revelation this fall, and Patty said she was the best outfielder she's ever seen. If she can move to CF with no drop off (or Boone to CF, Coor to LF), then Jayda could move down to SS. This would allow Pickering to play RF and Patty could put Parker (or whoever she feels is the best offensive player) at DP. Essentially, you'd be replacing Hodge's limited offense with a powerful hitter like Ella Parker, with potentially little-to-no drop off on defense. Seems like a no-brainer if they can make it work.

I suspect, with the fall Coor has had, they'll be experimenting with this possibility over the offseason. I've been talking about this possibility since the end of last season, but Coor's emergence has further increased the likelihood IMO, particularly with how good Parker and Pickering have looked.

If it works, that would make us even better than last year (sans pitcher) IMO!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News