ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Phillips?

Lol my comment was just sarcasm towards the usual "we'll be fine" remarks that always come out when OU loses out on a bigtime recruit. :D
When have we not been fine? We have great talent, always have. We have great coaches, always have. The talent difference between Phillips and whomever fills that linebacker role the next 3 years will not impact anything. If one or two guys decommit over the course of a recruiting year, who cares?

Reactions: iasooner1
When have we not been fine? We have great talent, always have. We have great coaches, always have. The talent difference between Phillips and whomever fills that linebacker role the next 3 years will not impact anything. If one or two guys decommit over the course of a recruiting year, who cares?
This kind of mentality is prolly the reason OU hasn't been in a national title game in going on nearly 10 years.

This kind of mentality is prolly the reason OU hasn't been in a national title game in going on nearly 10 years.
This year's class is as good as any during the Stoops era. What needs to happen now is to produce future recruiting classes of at least equal value. OU's classes haven't been consistently in the top ten and this has kept OU out of championship scenarios.
Hope this 2017 class becomes the new norm for Stoops and company.

Or....won a national championship since I had dark hair and before I began not knowing what the hell I was doing even when I was actually doing it.

This year's class is as good as any during the Stoops era. What needs to happen now is to produce future recruiting classes of at least equal value. OU's classes haven't been consistently in the top ten and this has kept OU out of championship scenarios.
Hope this 2017 class becomes the new norm for Stoops and company.
Exactly CT. And producing future great classes like this one, is paramount the staff keeps recruiting a top priority.

It's telling that for some years the OU program fell off in terms of talent and it showed on the field. We now know it was because Bob took that very "we'll be fine" mentality to recruiting and didn't put the emphasis on it that he did early in his career at OU. He let his staff get lazy in recruiting.

But I think it's clear now that Bob has his staff elevating recruiting back to the top and it shows in the 2017 class from top to bottom. It's why they put so much time and effort into Jacob Phillips. It's why they are putting so much time and effort in a push to get Marvin Wilson. It's because the coaches know those are types of players you need to get on your roster to make legit runs for national titles. You can't afford to lose out on kids like them year after year.

what hurts is that we lost a starting ILB to injury and one to graduation, so somebody will have to step up next season.

Inside linebackers returning are not at all elite:
Beal
Bolton
Hunter
Outside linebackers returning are decent:
DeBerry
Kelly
Okoronkwo
Doucet.
Incoming linebackers are Draper, Gumbs, Murray and redshirt Terry, so I assume 2 of these 4 will play inside. Mark Jackson, a redshirt freshman is listed as a DE/OLB.

Jacob Phillips' defection hurts. Let's see if OU has a "plan B".

I like the the ones we have on board now. These are players who care enough about OU to sign on for the next 4 years and not play hardball with our coaches to get them to sign on. In my opinion we will be better this year at linebacking then last. If Phillips is not happy with us and we know where his father wanted him to go I wish him well and we can move on

I like some of OU's linebackers: Beal, Doucet, Kelly and Okoronkwo and new ones like Terry, Murray, Draper and Gumbs could be special.....but they need to be good in a hurry.
I don't know if I would judge any player's worth solely by his desire to sign with OU. It helps too, if he has the talent to be a solid performer.
Jacob Phillips had a tough time choosing between OU and LSU. I don't think he "played hardball" with OU. He simply liked LSU better.

I like some of OU's linebackers: Beal, Doucet, Kelly and Okoronkwo and new ones like Terry, Murray, Draper and Gumbs could be special.....but they need to be good in a hurry.
I don't know if I would judge any player's worth solely by his desire to sign with OU. It helps too, if he has the talent to be a solid performer.
Jacob Phillips had a tough time choosing between OU and LSU. I don't think he "played hardball" with OU. He simply liked LSU better.

Typically it comes down to where the recruit feels more comfortable and confident. It's that simple sometimes. Like "what does that hottie see in that jack wagon?" :eek:

there was a kid named Hines out of Plano East, he was interested in OU but when Phillips pulled the committed to OU, Hines then decided on A&M. I say get back on Hines the kid is a very good tackler, has good size and speed. Looks a lot like Caleb Kelly

there was a kid named Hines out of Plano East, he was interested in OU but when Phillips pulled the committed to OU, Hines then decided on A&M. I say get back on Hines the kid is a very good tackler, has good size and speed. Looks a lot like Caleb Kelly
Hines is already enrolled @ A&M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT