ADVERTISEMENT

It would appear that ESPN is diminishing Mayfield's Heisman hope

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
and has written him off in favor of the Navy quarterback. Reynolds had mediocre games against the two best regular season games. They got behind Notre Dame and he threw for 16 yards and ran for a little over 100.

Against Memphis, he had 38 yards rushing and 85 passing. The rest of their opponents were Colgate and the rest of the American Conference. And they'll kill Army after the voting. I love OUr guys in uniform, but compared to what Baker did, that's not a lot.

ESPN has already named the four finalist without Baker. That sucks more than a little.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
It's all "what have you done for me lately" in sports. That is why I held back celebrating our playoff berth until it was official. Baker may still get an invite, but I'd rather he focus on winning the NC this year. It seems that Heisman Trophy and National Championship don't mix well.

Reactions: Oklabama
It's all "what have you done for me lately" in sports. That is why I held back celebrating our playoff berth until it was official. Baker may still get an invite, but I'd rather he focus on winning the NC this year. It seems that Heisman Trophy and National Championship don't mix well.

I agree. The candidates that played Saturday saw their status improve. Baker's chances dropped simply because he didn't play in a CCG and the kid from Navy will benefit by playing this Saturday against Army when it's the only game in town. Furthermore, if you don't play on one of best teams in America, you chances are dismal. Back when, the Heisman was the best player that year (read that as the best back of the year) otherwise guys like Steve Owens wouldnt have won.

Reactions: BillyRay
I agree. The candidates that played Saturday saw their status improve. Baker's chances dropped simply because he didn't play in a CCG and the kid from Navy will benefit by playing this Saturday against Army when it's the only game in town. Furthermore, if you don't play on one of best teams in America, you chances are dismal. Back when, the Heisman was the best player that year (read that as the best back of the year) otherwise guys like Steve Owens wouldnt have won.

Agree. Sadly, there will never be another Steve McNair / Alcorn State type Heisman trophy recipient. That was a memorable one.

Question is......what other Heisman candidate was more important than Mayfield to his team's success ?

Great point. Each candidate's team would probably Not have been as successful without their play; however, I'm convinced OU would have been an average offense without Baker Mayfield. Alabama and Clemson May have not won their conferences, but OU would not have for certain, IMO. That's why I believe that Baker deserves a MVP Award if there were such an award. My Heisman vote would go to the players from Oklahoma, Stanford, Alabama and Clemson in that order. The kid from Stanford may be more deserving, it could be argued.

I am sure O HENRY, might get it, Mayfield is better candidate out there. By the way Bradford beat those mighty Patriots yesterday.

Mayfield was an unknown for Heisman when the season began. I reckon the hype machine needs a year to perk and he needs another season to repeat his antics before he become a lean for the win among voters.

It's like political office. Only the retards people have heard of beforehand have enough tenure/backing to run.

McCaffrey gets my vote. Mayfield will be a front runner next year. McCaffrey broke Barry Sanders record, the guy is a flat out playmaker

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT