ADVERTISEMENT

It has been 33 years since Americans won all four grand slam golf

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
tournaments in the same year. Americans have won the first three this year. But in the PGA, only four USA golfers in the top 16 so far. Wondering if Spieth can make a run in the last 27 holes.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
tournaments in the same year. Americans have won the first three this year. But in the PGA, only four USA golfers in the top 16 so far. Wondering if Spieth can make a run in the last 27 holes.
I think Speith just made a run. inthe final group tommorrow.

golf isn't a sport is it?
go out there and walk that course and tell me it's not a sport!

Batboys carry the equipment in baseball, and it is much lighted. The golfers only make money if they can play. It is on them. In games, the luck of the dice or the cards is most of it.

If you have ever seen the pro golfers in person, you would have to change your mind. What those guys do is incredible. They surely do more than a jockey, and I have never heard horse racing called anything but a sport. You read about golf on the sports page. The majors are almost always on page 1.

They also refer to Nascar as a sport.........which it isn't. I'm not saying golf isn't hard but I think most people can at least be decent with a lot of practice. Thats not true in true sports that require you to actually have athletic ability.

Reactions: BillyRay
In horse racing I've always considered the horse the athlete, not the jockey. In baseball, there is a level of physical ability needed to maintain their jobs, whereas in golf, it's best known as a game people play after they retire and are too old to play other sports.

I've always considered it more of a game. I look at some of those pro golfers and there is no way they are athletes.

I would classify golf as more of a game than a sport. I mean hell at the pro golf level they don't even carry their own clubs/equipment. lol

Its not a sport
I'll go ahead and give one reply since it is evident what the deal is with you three...Golf is a sport. I would love to see you even go out and play as good as one of the ladies on the LPGA

I'll go ahead and give one reply since it is evident what the deal is with you three...Golf is a sport. I would love to see you even go out and play as good as one of the ladies on the LPGA

I play golf with beer and get drunk. So whether some ladies or anyone can play better than me is irrelevant as to whether it's a game or sport. But if you think it's a sport, then more power to ya. I don't need you to agree with me, nor should you need me to agree with you.

So let me get this straight. If a person can't do something such as golf that means its a sport? I'm sry but that makes zero sense. I can't see either, does that mean its a sport?

So let me get this straight. If a person can't do something such as golf that means its a sport? I'm sry but that makes zero sense. I can't see either, does that mean its a sport?
OK so can you hit a 95 mile per hour fastball? can you slam dunk on a 10 ft rim? can you tackle Samaje in the open field? can you tackle AD? can you ride a 1200lb horse to the triple crown? can you hit a little white ball off of a tee 374 yards like the "non athlete" Jason Day did today? if you can say yes to all of that..... then none are sports!

I meant sew not see lol. Anyways pss my point is you acted as though if someone can't do something that means u can call it a sport. I'm sure it's a sport by definition I just consider it a real sport

OK so can you hit a 95 mile per hour fastball? can you slam dunk on a 10 ft rim? can you tackle Samaje in the open field? can you tackle AD? can you ride a 1200lb horse to the triple crown? can you hit a little white ball off of a tee 374 yards like the "non athlete" Jason Day did today? if you can say yes to all of that..... then none are sports!

I can do all of that.... HA...............

tumblr_ns9ctoLmyi1tpmgf1o1_400.gif

My view is that if the performer is sitting while he is competing, then it's not a sport. Not sure if horse racing fits that or not. But card and chess players aren't athletes. And then neither would NASCAR drivers, though their fan base would get pretty worked up against anyone claiming that.

I think that pro athletes do physically skilled performance, who amaze us occasionally with their physical and occasionally with their brains, though the physical is more impressive. if you've ever seen these guys hit a ball 300 yards and land it in a small space, often from a lousy lie, then if you aren't impressed, you don''t understand.

My view is that if the performer is sitting while he is competing, then it's not a sport. Not sure if horse racing fits that or not. But card and chess players aren't athletes. And then neither would NASCAR drivers, though their fan base would get pretty worked up against anyone claiming that.

I think that pro athletes do physically skilled performance, who amaze us occasionally with their physical and occasionally with their brains, though the physical is more impressive. if you've ever seen these guys hit a ball 300 yards and land it in a small space, often from a lousy lie, then if you aren't impressed, you don''t understand.
Plaino I must disagree with you on this one, I have been in a SCORE trophy truck running in the Baja 1000 as a co-driver and that was one of the most brutal rides of my life. other than when I got a ride in an F-4 phantom when I was in the USAF you can sit and be an athlete?

How can a middle aged, overweight guy be considered to be an athlete? He may have a talent for hitting a ball but I can't see how that makes him athletic.

No doubt it's impressive to watch a person drive a ball 300+ yards. I'm not saying that it's not impressive how well they can hit the ball. But that doesn't mean they are an athlete or athletic. Hell, John Daly was well known for his driving distance, and he was overweight, smoked on the course, and drank like a fish. Physically he was the complete opposite of what you would term an athlete. But no doubt he could drive the hell out of that golf ball.

No doubt it's impressive to watch a person drive a ball 300+ yards. I'm not saying that it's not impressive how well they can hit the ball. But that doesn't mean they are an athlete or athletic. Hell, John Daly was well known for his driving distance, and he was overweight, smoked on the course, and drank like a fish. Physically he was the complete opposite of what you would term an athlete. But no doubt he could drive the hell out of that golf ball.

It's not the distance, per se, that I was trumpeting. It was that plus the general accuracy. Daly had to walk at least three miles in the process every day. There are a whole lot of offensive tackles, who would find that quite a challenge, even if they refrained from smoking before, during or after. Is Jordan Spieth any less athletic than a 380 pound OTackle, who runs the 40 in 6.2?

And if you're going to tell me that Tiger Woods wasn't a great athlete during his greatness years, then what was Nike paying him all the bucks for? Are all the events in the Olympics, sports?

Just because some 70 year old guy can play golf, even if not very well, doesn't make it a non sport. And I'm pretty sure most any dictionary or encyclopedia would define it as a sport. It seems to me that you want to make sport be something where there is head to head physical interaction. But the golfers are as athletic as Fencers in the Olympics. It can't be because of the equipment, because baseball players use bats.... and gloves.

And if some sort of throwing is required ... I've played against guys on golf courses that were pretty good at that. They just had to do it when nobody was looking.

Curling rules!! It takes a lot of strength to push that big rock on the slick ice and move those brooms as fast as those folks do. They give Gold medals to those great athletes. o_O

Precise ball placement is more of a mental game, than it is being a great athlete. Though I do admit, that in pretty much all sports and competitive events, the mental game is what separates the champions from everyone else. Best example of this is Tiger Woods whom you mention. No doubt he always put alot of emphasis on staying in great physical shape, but what made him great was his mind and mental focus. Because I don't doubt he is in as great physical shape now than he always was. But his mental game has faltered since his personal life became unraveled for the world to see. And Tiger Woods got payed all that money since his immense popularity in a game that is immensely popular across the planet because of his success. Nike was paying him for advertising and Tiger endorsing their products to make money. Like Gramps said, there is a ton of money in golf. I won't doubt or downplay golfs popularity. It's absolutely huge!!

But just because a person can do something that is impressive, doesn't mean it makes them an athlete or makes their game a sport. Not long ago I was flipping through the channels on TV and came across professional darts. Having played darts at bars over the years, I gotta admit watching how accurate they were was pretty dang impressive. And there is no way I could even come close to competing with those guys in throwing darts. And no doubt the female dart throwers would kick my butt all over the bar in a game of darts. But that doesn't make them athletes, nor does it make me think of competitive dart throwing as a sport. I see it as more of a skill game.

This is almost tantamount to the argument over whether the tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. I've always looked at it as a vegetable. But I've known people over the years that will argue till they are blue in the face that call it a fruit.

It is a sport...it is a game and those that play it on a high level are true athletes. If it is the case of properly striking a ball then baseball players are not athletes as well. Heck I can stand at first base and catch a rope from 3rd base. It might hurt, but I could catch it. ;)

How can a middle aged, overweight guy be considered to be an athlete? He may have a talent for hitting a ball but I can't see how that makes him athletic.

That same guy goes and plays softball, which is certainly a sport, even if the players athleticism has dwindled substantially.

When 9 year olds play football, are you saying that is not a sport? Not much athleticism compared to men doing the same thing. But a sport is defined by what it is, not by the quality of the participants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT