ADVERTISEMENT

is it better to have strong DL, or Strong LBs with less experience at the other position?

BawlzDeep

OU scholarship offer
Dec 16, 2013
I think I'd prefer a strong defensive line. A dominate line can be destructive and force an offense to have to account for penetration, forcing them to have to double team certain players. The offense will have to adjust by creating max protect, reducing their play book, and the inexperienced LBs will have to do less because the OL and RBs will be doing more protecting the QB than reaching the second level of the defense.

I would prefer to have a strong defensive line as well. A really good defensive line will make average linebackers look great when it comes to stopping the run. If you have really good defensive line, you won't need to blitz linebackers as much to get pressure on the QB on passing downs. It all starts up front.

I think I'd prefer a strong defensive line. A dominate line can be destructive and force an offense to have to account for penetration, forcing them to have to double team certain players. The offense will have to adjust by creating max protect, reducing their play book, and the inexperienced LBs will have to do less because the OL and RBs will be doing more protecting the QB than reaching the second level of the defense.
Nebraska's 1971 team, said by many to be among CFB's greatest teams had a great defensive line, but a linebacking corps that was not elite.
Closer to home, OU's 1975 champs had Dalke, Thomas, and Obie Moore as its main LB corps with freshmen Hunt, Dittman and Sellmyer waiting in the wings and Cumby (a running back then) being redshirted.....and with a defensive line of Lee Roy and Dewey Selmon, Anthony Bryant and Duane Baccus and Jimbo Elrod as DE's.
So I believe a dominate defensive line is any team's defensive trump card.

Nebraska's 1971 team, said by many to be among CFB's greatest teams had a great defensive line, but a linebacking corps that was not elite.
Closer to home, OU's 1975 champs had Dalke, Thomas, and Obie Moore as its main LB corps with freshmen Hunt, Dittman and Sellmyer waiting in the wings and Cumby (a running back then) being redshirted.....and with a defensive line of Lee Roy and Dewey Selmon, Anthony Bryant and Duane Baccus and Jimbo Elrod as DE's.
So I believe a dominate defensive line is any team's defensive trump card.

When you put it that way, it sounds so simple. :) it's doesn't hurt to have NFL HOF talent on the line.

Can we have both?
I bet most of us remember ALL of these names.

DE - Ryan Fisher, Barry Holleyman, Kory Klein
DE - Cory Heinecke, Corey Callens, Jimmy Wilkerson (Champ Game Only)
LB - Torrance Marshall, Rocky Calmus

oklahoma20sooners.jpg

EDIT - I believe that's Jimmy Wilkerson, Kory Klein, Tommie Harris and Jonathan Jackson IIRC.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since we've had a really dominant defensive lineman so that would be great, but if our linebackers can't slap their asses with either hand we'll still have trouble winning a championship. We need solid play by each group, DL, LB, DB.......and good coaching would be nice as well. Team!

It all starts up front. If a DT can't slant a pulling guard. The LB will not be able to contain the gap. If a DT, can be controlled by a single blocker. The LB will not have a gap to shoot through.
If the line can put pressure with 4, then the whole defense opens up.

Hopefully Lampkin loses 30 or 40lbs this summer

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT