ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bob Stoops on the Hot Seat? What's your take?

Depends on what constitutes a hot seat. In Hoover's column? Maybe yeah. In the mind of a few posters here? What would that possibly matter?

But the hot seat is about what his bosses think. Joe C isn't going to fire Bob Stoops any time soon. David Boren isn't going to tell Joe C to fire Bob. Both understand that Bob is a top five coach in America and they're damn lucky to have him.

I suppose there could be maybe a dozen top donors who might wield some power in such a decision, but I'd have to think that most of those guys understand how good we have it.

There are only two HC's in America who are clearly better coaches than Bob, and they aren't coming to Norman. The others, guys like Patterson or Briles, are known for their best seasons around here (or around Hoover's desk) but not so much for things that Bob would be beat up for, by the same people who view others as the other man's grass.

Did anybody see the lead that Briles team blew in the Cotton Bowl? Or the lead Patterson's team blew in Waco? Or his previous two seasons?

Both of those schools still have the luxury of not being circled on calendars the way OU and UT are yearly. Both will have a lot more attention from off season coaching staffs heading into 2015. We'll see how that stacks up.

When OSU won the conference a few years ago, Gundy was considered an up and comer (for real this time.) but that talk faded into wondering about him even staying in Stillwater.

I suppose there are people here who'd love to have somebody like Leach. Their credibility ain't too hot. Every Stoops team in this century, who has stayed reasonably healthy, has competed for a conference title. How many other coaches in America can say that? For those not too bright, and so needed assistance in counting, you'll only need one hand.

This Bob is not a top 5 coach in America, no idea where you go that impression. Also don't understand how people think if Bob leaves the world ends and we won't be able to replace him. Bob was an assistant coach when he was hired here, there are probably plenty of up and coming coaches out there who could do a great job. I'm not saying he should be fired, but be realistic. There are a lot of coaches out there who could go 8-5 at OU. Bob needs to understand, and I am assuming he does, that he is not untouchable. He gets paid a lot of money to do his job and he needs to perform. He has done the replacing assistants thing, except he stopped one short, so if that doesn't work then you have to look at a change at the top. Like some other people said, we need to worry about being competitive in the Big 12 before we worry about NC's and we may be a couple of seasons away from that.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Sure there are lots of coaches out there who could be 8 - 5 at OU. However there are not many coaches out there who could match 164 - 44 which is a 79%+ record at OU. You focus on one of 16 of Bob's years at OU.

Regards of whether or not Bob Stoops is a "top 5" coach, replacing him could be difficult. OU successfully hired Mackenzie, Fairbanks, Switzer and Stoops.....but it also hired Gomer Jones, Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake. So hiring new coaches has historically been a crap shoot. Since Wilkinson, OU has hired 4 great ones and hired 4 not-so-great ones.

The coach who succeeds Bob Stoops hopefully won't have to clean up the program and its image from probation and scandal as Gibbs, Schnellenberger and Blake tried unsuccessfully to do. Switzer did it, but he inherited a prolific talent level from Fairbanks (which included Shoate, the Selmons, Washington) and still recruited Sims, Lott, Kinlaw, the Tabor twins, Cumby, Hunt, Hicks, Roberts, King, Ivory and many others during those probation years. OU had to have two of its greatest teams off of regular season television in 1974-75, but still gave Sooner fans two of the greatest years in the team's history on the field.
I believe that when Stoops leaves (my guess is 3-5 more years), OU will have learned from its past mistakes from 1989-1998 and will find a capable successor. Given the facilities and resources at hand, OU has a lot to offer the right guy.

How many people were asking if Coach Stoops was in the hot seat after the Bama bowl game victory?
Back in 1982 and 1983, there were people saying Coach Switzer was washed up, but he nearly won the 1984 MNC, did win the 1985 MNC, and was a could of injuries away from 1986 and 1987 being MNC years.
If OU gets a hot QB, lights up the scoreboard, holds on enough times on defense and produces some turnovers, and OU is right back in the hunt for the Big XII title. On the other hand, if the QB keeps throwing to the wrong guys, we fumble the ball, and keep the CBs ten yards off the opposing WRs, we could be fighting for the Alamo Bowl.
There are times when leaders must demonstrate what they are truly capable of doing, and we are reaching that point here.
Remember, folks, no one had OU in the top 10 at the start of 2000 yet we won the whole thing - it is all a matter of how the coaching, players, and "chemistry" develop that will determine what kind of year we have ahead of us. Sheesh! - if we just didn't punt THE SECOND TIME and we had beaten OsU last year would have looked a lot different and the team would likely have played better in the bowl game. Above all, we must avoid self-inflicted destruction and we should be okay!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT