ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bob Stoops on the Hot Seat? What's your take?

Didn't see anything in the article that insinuated Stoops' is or might be on the hot seat with another mediocre season, or is that your own question?

It was an excellent article, but that should comes as no surprise as it was written by Stewart Mandel.

He made some very strong points about Stoops' taking full responsibility but not deserving it.

The talent on this team shouldn't be overlooked.

Originally posted by bcsoonerfan:
Didn't see anything in the article that insinuated Stoops' is or might be on the hot seat with another mediocre season, or is that your own question?

It was an excellent article, but that should comes as no surprise as it was written by Stewart Mandel.

He made some very strong points about Stoops' taking full responsibility but not deserving it.

This.

At this point, no one really knows how good this team can be. We have all heard about Mixon's spring camp, but I remember hearing good reports about Ross prior to him taking the first snap in a D1 game. Maybe not the same high praises as Mixon is getting but it got me expecting more than Alex as shown thus far. Not picking on Joe, but just using him as an example. There have been plenty others that were touted as a great practice player and haven't impressed consistently including Trevor Knight. I frankly don't know how to rate the team from what I witnessed last season and saw during the spring game. I think it would be unfair for me to make a judgment one way or the other because I just haven't seen much yet. The QB, OL, WR, and defense is a mystery so I think its best to tune the guitar and then play it. If I had to guess, I would say we are going to be in for a surprise. I am hoping for a good solid season that sets the Sooners up for great future seasons. 1999 with a win or two more....a win in Knoxville would be something to get excited about because I think the Vols will be much improved.

Originally posted by Oklabama:

This.

At this point, no one really knows how good this team can be. We have all heard about Mixon's spring camp, but I remember hearing good reports about Ross prior to him taking the first snap in a D1 game. Maybe not the same high praises as Mixon is getting but it got me expecting more than Alex as shown thus far. Not picking on Joe, but just using him as an example. There have been plenty others that were touted as a great practice player and haven't impressed consistently including Trevor Knight. I frankly don't know how to rate the team from what I witnessed last season and saw during the spring game. I think it would be unfair for me to make a judgment one way or the other because I just haven't seen much yet. The QB, OL, WR, and defense is a mystery so I think its best to tune the guitar and then play it. If I had to guess, I would say we are going to be in for a surprise. I am hoping for a good solid season that sets the Sooners up for great future seasons. 1999 with a win or two more....a win in Knoxville would be something to get excited about because I think the Vols will be much improved.
Why would OU consider any other coach at this time ? Who is available that would represent a realistic upgrade ?

Agree with Bama....this 2015 team is a mystery to me. There are major improvements in every area (besides running backs) that are necessary before any legitimate talk of a conference championship, much less a national championship, can have traction.
Plus, Texas is starting to come back and teams like West Virginia, OSU and especially TCU and Baylor have emerged within the Big 12 pecking order.....and who knows what K-State will do.
I do not believe the Big 12 is any better than being the 4th best power conference. For OU to be a 4-loss team (3 of those losses at home) in 2014 within a less than stellar conference reflects how much OU has declined....even on the heels of its great Sugar Bowl win over Saban and Alabama, in a game that had all of us thinking OU was back to national championship consideration.
I believe OU is in a rut at this time. I hope the changes on the staff can help turn things around and that the players can play with more determination and pride....unlike the way they played against Clemson. Clemson was the better team for sure.....but 34 points better ? Such a bad loss is inexcusable.

The football program needs to concentrate on retaking the Big XII and forget talk about NCs. It's been 5 years since OU won the Big XII. To answer your question, finish 8-5 in 2015 and yes Bob Stoops should be on the hot seat. He will have put the program at the same level that got Bobby Bowden and Mack Brown fired. Both of these very good coaches lost the edge and I think Bob has as well (too much salary and good ole boy coaching hires have put the program behind KSU, Baylor and TCU and Texas is on the upswing with Charlie Strong).

Hope Coach Stoops can turn it around but he's got his work cut out for him in 2015.

IMHO

I don't think Bob is on the hot seat just yet, but I absolutely believe he should be feeling a little heat. Nobody will deny that Bob had an incredible run during the first half of his tenure at OU. But look at the last 6 seasons, and it's pretty clear OU has fallen a notch. Not only does OU not compete for national titles every year, OU no longer even win conference titles consistently. I think OU has one outright Big XII title and another shared title in those 6 seasons correct? Some on here may not like this, but the last 6 years of OU football remind me alot of the Texas years under Mack Brown when OU fans loved to poke fun at how they could win a good number of games each year, but came up short several times a year and were always just a step behind OU and the other real national contenders every season. And I'm not talking about the 2010+ years of Mack. I'm talking about 2009 and before.

So yes...it's all on Bob Stoops going forward. He's the head coach, so who else would it be on? This staff overall has everything to prove. Compare this staff to the past that Bob has had, and who is left from the staff that last competed for a national title in 2008? In fact, who is left from even the staff that last won a Big XII title outright? Bob and Cale. That's it. Since then, it's been a total rebuild of his staff, and going forward will determine if this staff is the correct one to get OU back to where we all want it to be.

It likely depends on your own personal definition of being on the hot seat. In my opinion, Bob isn't on the hot seat. However, he does need to restore his program as another season or two like this last one and he will be on a really hot seat. The OU program has a built in hot seat and if you don't win it is unavoidable.

Aside from Gary Gibbs I don't think any new coach is going to get more than three or four years to put a competitive team on the field. Gary got six years before he was let go. He had a 65% winning percentage. I think the reason Gary got the six years was due to the situation of his hiring. OU was in a real mess as Gary followed the Switzer firing. Gary got an extra years grace period due to the situation he inherited from Switzer. I think you also have to factor in the fact that the OU AD's office was in a mess as well. We were essentially leaderless and we had allowed our facilities to fall into decline.

Bob is leading a program with all the advantages when it comes to facilities. After the 2016 season he should have as good of a set of facilities as there is in the country. He will have a first class stadium, first class work out facilities, first class housing for his players and a first class academic support system.

I think Bob, at the worst, has at least three years to get back to competing for NCs before his seat starts burning his butt. Don't think Joe C or Boren will take an ax to Bob's chance to turn it around. Forced or otherwise he has taken some steps to turn it around.

Older brother Mike will be shouldering plenty of the blame as well.

The high octane offenses of the Big XII have Mike on his toes and he's rarely responded well. Since his return the defense starts with a bang and ends with a fizzle as we face the stiff competition. Early season we look to be in attack mode and mid to late we go into 'get back' mode. 4 quarters of aggression and taking risks is the name of the game and it used to be Mike's bread and butter.

Yes. Another 7 win season and new head coaches should be interviewed.

I will never through any amount of discussion or argument understand how someone can claim, "well, it's not Bob's fault."
Correct blame rolls uphill, people. Petty people roll blame downhill.

Originally posted by JConXtsy:
Yes. Another 7 win season and new head coaches should be interviewed.

I will never through any amount of discussion or argument understand how someone can claim, "well, it's not Bob's fault."
Correct blame rolls uphill, people. Petty people roll blame downhill.
perfect.

He doesn't have an older brother named Mike.

The head coach can only fire and move people around for so long. Eventually the blame will have to be laid at his feet. However, I fully expect us to rebound

Originally posted by veritas59:

He doesn't have an older brother named Mike.
And actually, in regards to Mike Stoops, the blame for the defensive debacle falls on Bob Stoops as well. Bob hired his brother back, and has decided to keep him on the staff, despite the horrendous defensive showings the past few years. If things don't improve this season, then Bob is going to be forced to make a decision as to whether entrench himself with his brother, or man up and fire him. Let's hope that the defense makes a huge turn for the better in 2015. I don't want Bob to be forced into that kind of decision.

I always thought Mike was a couple years older than Bob. Not sure where I picked that up but I've believed it for a long time.

If Oklahoma were to fire a HC that has done a really good job overall, that would get us in the same exact boat as the Texas Longhorns. It would be difficult to find top coaching talent interested in coming to Norman, and we'd have to settle for the 5th run-of-the-mill candidate that nobody really wanted.

Originally posted by Section22Sooner:
If Oklahoma were to fire a HC that has done a really good job overall, that would get us in the same exact boat as the Texas Longhorns. It would be difficult to find top coaching talent interested in coming to Norman, and we'd have to settle for the 5th run-of-the-mill candidate that nobody really wanted.
Why?

And this is the game of football. Don't fool me into thinking there are only a few chosen people with the gift to be creative and fresh. 5th run-of-the-mill candidate might be the next 3x champ.

"Anything can be accomplished with the appropriate resources." - everyone ever

Eh, this is way down the worry list.

In fact, it's so moot to me that I've ceded Bobs dry spell is more or less over and his and our fortunes are on the rebound.

Book that oh ye of little faith.
cool.r191677.gif

I'm with Fitty.

We all thought the skies had cleared after the Sugar Bowl win and for good reason. We wouldn't be the first team to go from mediocre to top of the mountain in an off-season.

The talent ain't Bammer but its good enough. A confident QB and an attitude adjustment on defense and the Sooners are ready to rumble.

Originally posted by Section22Sooner:
Right on. And, this is the reason that Bob will be given time to right his ship. Bob Stoops isn't just a head coach. Bob Stoops is one the most respected head coaches ever. He rivals Bud in that respect. Bob also has a record of running a clean program. He is also highly respected for the way he handles his players. We have never heard Bob Stoops disparage the opposition. He is a great family man and one heck of a representative of OU. It will be a tough job replacing Bob Stoops.

The OU fans who just think the OU powers at be need to just handle this as a bottom line business decision are missing the mark in my opinion. I like to win as much as the next guy. However, your word and your reputation are of great value and OU has a lot at stake in how they deal with Bob. I hope whatever happens is handled with great care. Hiring the next great OU head coach will be much easier if Bob's career at OU ends on a high note.

This ain't the 40s or 50s. The next OU coaches are champing at the bit, ready to take that job regardless of how legacy is treated at the university.

If I were BS University X, I guarantee I could lure coach A+ and coach A as long as I showed them fan base A and facilities A+.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by PryorFan:
The football program needs to concentrate on retaking the Big XII and forget talk about NCs. It's been 5 years since OU won the Big XII. To answer your question, finish 8-5 in 2015 and yes Bob Stoops should be on the hot seat. He will have put the program at the same level that got Bobby Bowden and Mack Brown fired. Both of these very good coaches lost the edge and I think Bob has as well (too much salary and good ole boy coaching hires have put the program behind KSU, Baylor and TCU and Texas is on the upswing with Charlie Strong).

Hope Coach Stoops can turn it around but he's got his work cut out for him in 2015.

IMHO
Bob is nowhere near where Bowden & Mack were at the end of their tenures, even with another 8-5 year.

Bob is two mediocre seasons away from the hot seat. He has time to fix this mess but he will also need time. My expections for the future with Bob are good but I'm worried about 2015. The Vols could do a Clemson on us and things could get ugly fast. I could se the Vols winning by 3 touchdowns at home.

I'm sorry Jcon that was not right of me to say. Just give Roy's post another read.

My bad.

This post was edited on 4/18 2:48 AM by bcsoonerfan

Originally posted by Salt City Sooner:

Bob is nowhere near where Bowden & Mack were at the end of their tenures, even with another 8-5 year.
You're right - he's fallen to a level just below where they were. And he doesn't recruit as well as they did. Excellent point.

Depends on what constitutes a hot seat. In Hoover's column? Maybe yeah. In the mind of a few posters here? What would that possibly matter?

But the hot seat is about what his bosses think. Joe C isn't going to fire Bob Stoops any time soon. David Boren isn't going to tell Joe C to fire Bob. Both understand that Bob is a top five coach in America and they're damn lucky to have him.

I suppose there could be maybe a dozen top donors who might wield some power in such a decision, but I'd have to think that most of those guys understand how good we have it.

There are only two HC's in America who are clearly better coaches than Bob, and they aren't coming to Norman. The others, guys like Patterson or Briles, are known for their best seasons around here (or around Hoover's desk) but not so much for things that Bob would be beat up for, by the same people who view others as the other man's grass.

Did anybody see the lead that Briles team blew in the Cotton Bowl? Or the lead Patterson's team blew in Waco? Or his previous two seasons?

Both of those schools still have the luxury of not being circled on calendars the way OU and UT are yearly. Both will have a lot more attention from off season coaching staffs heading into 2015. We'll see how that stacks up.

When OSU won the conference a few years ago, Gundy was considered an up and comer (for real this time.) but that talk faded into wondering about him even staying in Stillwater.

I suppose there are people here who'd love to have somebody like Leach. Their credibility ain't too hot. Every Stoops team in this century, who has stayed reasonably healthy, has competed for a conference title. How many other coaches in America can say that? For those not too bright, and so needed assistance in counting, you'll only need one hand.

Briles and Patterson are good coaches, but their respective teams....in my opinion....cannot reach a level of national championship contention at this time. These two teams schedule weak non-conference games and are not brand names yet, not like OU, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, etc. and that, fairly or unfairly, works against them. I think until they start scheduling better non-conference teams and then sustain a level of excellence for a decade or so, they will not get the respect from pollsters and bowl selection committees.....as evident by what happened last season. Their puny non-conference games worked against them, even with Florida State barely winning 5 of its games and Ohio State losing to a 7-6 Virginia Tech team by two touchdowns....at home....as it went on to win a national championship.
I'm don't question the intelligence of those wanting a new coach at OU. In a way, I understand their feelings and frustrations. What I'm asking is who would be an upgrade from what Stoops has done ?

Whynota could have put this original question in the form of a poll and it may have had a bit more validity and/or saved a whole lot of gnashing teeth and unnecessary typing:

Undefeated
one loss
two losses
three
four
five & we stank up another bowl, etc...

Originally posted by iasooner1:
Whynota could have put this original question in the form of a poll and it may have had a bit more validity and/or saved a whole lot of gnashing teeth and unnecessary typing:

Undefeated
one loss
two losses
three
four
five & we stank up another bowl, etc...
A poll of upcoming wins/losses etc would not have answered the question though. It was a very good article IMO and I wanted to see what others thought are/were accordingly. It's a bit too early to base a poll on the 2015 season. Heck we don't even know who's starting where in a lot of positions, especially at QB.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Originally posted by CTOkie:

What I'm asking is who would be an upgrade from what Stoops has done ?
If OU were looking for a coach today, then there are very few coaches that can compare with Stoops resume. Nobody will question that. But when looking for a new coach, if JoeC can't lure a name like Saban or Meyer to Norman, then he has to look at the potential in any coaching prospects he interviews. He did the same thing when he hired Bob. Bob has zero head coaching experience when he got to OU. But he was a hot name in the coaching community, and had a ton of potential as a head coach. THAT'S what OU will have to turn to when the day comes when Bob decided to hang it up. Trying to compare Bob's resume with that of any replacement is a moot point. Bob's resume far exceeds nearly every other coach in the country due to his longevity at his position.

Originally posted by Plainosooner:
Depends on what constitutes a hot seat. In Hoover's column? Maybe yeah. In the mind of a few posters here? What would that possibly matter?

But the hot seat is about what his bosses think. Joe C isn't going to fire Bob Stoops any time soon. David Boren isn't going to tell Joe C to fire Bob. Both understand that Bob is a top five coach in America and they're damn lucky to have him.

I suppose there could be maybe a dozen top donors who might wield some power in such a decision, but I'd have to think that most of those guys understand how good we have it.

There are only two HC's in America who are clearly better coaches than Bob, and they aren't coming to Norman. The others, guys like Patterson or Briles, are known for their best seasons around here (or around Hoover's desk) but not so much for things that Bob would be beat up for, by the same people who view others as the other man's grass.

Did anybody see the lead that Briles team blew in the Cotton Bowl? Or the lead Patterson's team blew in Waco? Or his previous two seasons?

Both of those schools still have the luxury of not being circled on calendars the way OU and UT are yearly. Both will have a lot more attention from off season coaching staffs heading into 2015. We'll see how that stacks up.

When OSU won the conference a few years ago, Gundy was considered an up and comer (for real this time.) but that talk faded into wondering about him even staying in Stillwater.

I suppose there are people here who'd love to have somebody like Leach. Their credibility ain't too hot. Every Stoops team in this century, who has stayed reasonably healthy, has competed for a conference title. How many other coaches in America can say that? For those not too bright, and so needed assistance in counting, you'll only need one hand.
This is where I disagree. I think Bob Stoops will feel his own Hot Seat. Meaning that, he isn't going to hang around to be fired. He'll walk away when & if he feels he can no longer get it done. There are many other factors that go into the success of any organization. While Stoops controls some of those things, he doesn't control all of them.

Originally posted by BillyRay:

If OU were looking for a coach today, then there are very few coaches that can compare with Stoops resume. Nobody will question that. But when looking for a new coach, if JoeC can't lure a name like Saban or Meyer to Norman, then he has to look at the potential in any coaching prospects he interviews. He did the same thing when he hired Bob. Bob has zero head coaching experience when he got to OU. But he was a hot name in the coaching community, and had a ton of potential as a head coach. THAT'S what OU will have to turn to when the day comes when Bob decided to hang it up. Trying to compare Bob's resume with that of any replacement is a moot point. Bob's resume far exceeds nearly every other coach in the country due to his longevity at his position.
It isn't Bob's resume that would be hard to compare. It is his performance that won't be easily matched by anybody.

You take for granted the difficulty of the OU football job.

Originally posted by Plainosooner:

Originally posted by BillyRay:

It isn't Bob's resume that would be hard to compare. It is his performance that won't be easily matched by anybody.

You take for granted the difficulty of the OU football job.
When you say performance, do you mean Bob's performance in his first 10 seasons with 6 conference titles? Or the last 6 seasons that has 20 losses, which is averaging more than 3 losses a season and only 1 outright conference title? I'm not advocating a coaching change by any means. But the current state of OU football that culminated in last season's 8-5 record and an embarrassing bowl loss is completely a result of Bob's "performance" in the last handful of years in regards to his program.

And when you say the difficulty of the OU football job. Are you talking about the recent light that has been made of the head butting that the football program and the compliance dept are having? If it's true, then no doubt Bob has a tougher job behind the scenes than many realized.

Well, here's the deal.

I, being a Sooner football fan for lo these many (60+) years, believe that Bob, being as bummed as we are is doing everything he can possibly do to change the fortunes of OU football for the better.

He's fired coaches that he thought weren't being all that they could be.
He's kept the program as lily white clean as possible, and the big one, he fired a coach that at one time was thought to be the heir apparent to he himself, Josh Heupel.
The darling of OU football that brought us the last National title we ever had.
You do realize how hard that had to be for him...and he did it for OU football.
Wow...I can't imagine!

So, if I were you I count my lucky stars that he's still fighting for us, trying to win, every day, every year.
In conclusion, unless there's a video of him with a Great Dane getting weird, I'm going to defend him until the cows come home.

That's just the way it's going to be...
Take it under all consideration.

Hot seats get cooler as recruiting improves unless you are John Blake. Our recruiting is improving and if we continue to define offensively who we are it will continue to improve.

There is no doubt that Johnny Manziel intrigued OU to the point where we actually moved away from an offense that under Bradford and White was unstoppable. But replicating Manziel is not easy and Trevor is no Manziel.

I think we will improve and maybe breakout. And Stoops will feel no heat at years end.

I'm not sure if Boren/Joe/BOR have the nads to put Bob on the "hot seat"...but if this team doesn't make serious improvements this season (aggressiveness, competitiveness, offensive identity, creativity, passion, execution, defensive soundness, etc)...then he sure as hell SHOULD be on it !! Everyone outside of the UT program could see that Mack was the issue...and knew that Mack was just buying time when he went and fired half the staff to "fix the problem"...which it didn't. I see this season as Bob's last hoorah. He either gets this thing going again strong in the right direction or it's the beginning of the end for him. That's the way I see it.

Originally posted by gratefulRed:
I'm not sure if Boren/Joe/BOR have the nads to put Bob on the "hot seat"...but if this team doesn't make serious improvements this season (aggressiveness, competitiveness, offensive identity, creativity, passion, execution, defensive soundness, etc)...then he sure as hell SHOULD be on it !! Everyone outside of the UT program could see that Mack was the issue...and knew that Mack was just buying time when he went and fired half the staff to "fix the problem"...which it didn't. I see this season as Bob's last hoorah. He either gets this thing going again strong in the right direction or it's the beginning of the end for him. That's the way I see it.
The way so many view "going in the right direction" has, in recent years, been only about 10-win seasons and a bowl berth....period.
From 1956 until 1974, a period of 18 years, OU went without a national championship even though it had some great teams in 1957, 1958, 1967, 1971, 1972 and 1973....and 4 decent teams in 1962, 1963,1968 and 1970....with Steve Owens winning the Heisman in 1969 on a very average 6-4 team.
Those were many fun and good years, but as it was in 1974, it's time for the Crimson and Cream to rise to the top after 15 seasons.

This post was edited on 4/20 3:54 PM by CTOkie

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has the view that "going in the right direction" implies any win/loss record or any goal other than being better and hopefully getting to the point where we are capable of winning championships. At least that is where I see OU at this point in time. We aren't all that far away from fielding a Big XII Championship team. Finding an impact players here and there could easily propel OU to the top of the conference. Playing at the NC level is likely a little different thing. I think we are a couple of years away from having the defensive personnel capable of holding up to the top teams.

This isn't the 50s, 60s or the 80s anymore. This is the most competitive era of my lifetime and it is only going to get more competitive as time passes. There is no magic agenda that will put another OU NC in the trophy case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT