ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting read from today's Hartford Courant on Big 12 expansion....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
You can access it from the Ctnow.com website....then click "courant news" at the top....this takes you to writer Jeff Jacobs' article about his desire to see UConn joining the Big 12 and what might happen with the Big 12 soon.
If someone can install the website here, please do so.

Interesting. The Big XII would be one heckuva a basketball conference with UConn (men and women). I think his argument about UConn being a flagship university vs the Florida teams was a bit pointless though. You could argue that part of Florida is more worthwhile than all of Connecticut. Many people struggle to remember states like Connecticut, Vermont and New Hampshire when trying to recall the 50 states.

You can access it from the Ctnow.com website....then click "courant news" at the top....this takes you to writer Jeff Jacobs' article about his desire to see UConn joining the Big 12 and what might happen with the Big 12 soon.
If someone can install the website here, please do so.
U of Conn, only team to beat Houston, that one?

They might be worthy of the league if they've uped their game to that degree.
Sign em up.

U of Conn, only team to beat Houston, that one?

They might be worthy of the league if they've uped their game to that degree.
Sign em up.
OU and Texas would likely have to play at Giants Stadium in NJ to make this trip financially feasible. Rentschler Field in East Hartford with a 40,000 seat capacity....and located in Connecticut's armpit...just doesn't work.
If this becomes reality, and while Connecticut is not a recruiting turf for football, New Jersey is. Playing in Giants Stadium would be quite a presence for OU or Texas in New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania.
I really don't care on this matter. What OU and/or the Big 12 decides to do is out of my control. I'm ONLY for anything that keeps OU among the elite in CFB....however it can be achieved.

OU needs to go to the Big 10 and leave this mess behind. There are no quality teams available for the Big XII to expand to 12 teams. Bringing anyone in would take money away from the current teams which are already behind money being made by teams in other power conferences. Texas has really screwed this up. Boren should have bolted with a&m and mizzo.

I hope OU goes to Pac 12 - better for recruiting and I can see them in Tempe and Tucson every other year!

I'd rather go the SEC or Big 10, but I like that you, JCon and other west coast board members would benefit makes it tolerable. AND getting a shot at kicking USC's butt every year (thinking CCG opportunities) would offset the inconvenience of having to wait so late in the day to see the away games played in the PT zone. USC is just behind Notre Dame on my top five teams to hate.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Selfishly, OU to the Big 10 is my preference.....that would have OU playing Rutgers in New Jersey occasionally...or Maryland at College Park, Md.
My last OU-Maryland game was in 1964, Gomer Jones' first game, won on a 90 yard pass from John Hammond to Lance Rentzel that gave OU a 6-3 lead late in the game. OU tacked on an insurance touchdown after intercepting a desperate Maryland pass a minute later. OU 13-3.

Reactions: Oklabama
Selfishly, OU to the Big 10 is my preference.....that would have OU playing Rutgers in New Jersey occasionally...or Maryland at College Park, Md.
My last OU-Maryland game was in 1964, Gomer Jones' first game, won on a 90 yard pass from John Hammond to Lance Rentzel that gave OU a 6-3 lead late in the game. OU tacked on an insurance touchdown after intercepting a desperate Maryland pass a minute later. OU 13-3.

Geez, I didn't think about you and Schoonerman having a 3 hour time difference if the Sooners went to the PAC. I would have DVR the late games and watch them early Sunday's. Lol.

Reactions: CTOkie
Geez, I didn't think about you and Schoonerman having a 3 hour time difference if the Sooners went to the PAC. I would have DVR the late games and watch them early Sunday's. Lol.
That's what I would do for night games on the west coast time slot. The DVR is a great option.....I DVR Stoops' coaches show on Monday afternoons, getting the entire game replay with commentary, replays....all in one hour. Then I save the replays for the long winter ahead so I can watch the games over and over and over again.

I like the b1g option for a myriad of reasons IF we must stay joined at the hip to the old big 8 clone albatross.

(a) lots of ops for me to see the Sooners locally in my region
(b) chance to regain the dominance over the bugeaters
(c) an additional loss for the hawx at least 99% of the time
(d) easy/peasy chance for CCG if we get the western division

there are many others but I'm getting older, quicker these days...

I like the b1g option for a myriad of reasons IF we must stay joined at the hip to the old big 8 clone albatross.

(a) lots of ops for me to see the Sooners locally in my region
(b) chance to regain the dominance over the bugeaters
(c) an additional loss for the hawx at least 99% of the time
(d) easy/peasy chance for CCG if we get the western division

there are many others but I'm getting older, quicker these days...

Nothing self serving about that at all...:rolleyes:

Reactions: iasooner1
I have been following conference expansion since Nebraska left the big 12. Why? In the hopes that OU and KU would join. I am very happy we left, but life isn't right without those two programs.

I truly believe it will happen. Signs are pointing that way.

OU and KU to the B10, makes the most sense but if OU regents don't get on board with Boren's threats to Texas and the B12 then it won't happen. No viable expansion teams and Texas will never give up the LHN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT