ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Game

LittletonSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
While I regretted having invested the $50 for PPV through most of the first half, I was glad I had it to see that a few things truly have improved since last year...

First and foremost, I cannot possibly overstate the value of an OC that knows 1) how to get an offense that is totally discombobulated back into a rhythm and 2) changed what he's doing to take what a defense us giving him. JH would've kept running Perine straight into the teeth of a scheme that was specially designed to take that weapon away and then gone to the vaunted horizontal passing attack. It wasn't perfect, but I really liked that LR made adjustments quickly and got the offense to shake off a dreadful start.

It was also great to see a QB that didn't piss down his leg at the first sign of pressure or wilt after a few very poor series. While I believe that Baker is one of those players that will be hot and cold his whole career, there is little doubt that he gives OU the best chance to win. There is also no doubt that he plays with passion and shows his teammates and the fans a wil to win which has been lacking. His post game comments were equally good. I like a QB that can reflect on a piss poor start and acknowledge that they have to improve rather than offering a bunch of Heupel-speak non-sense.

Additionally, Gundy and Simmons have gotten the WRs to buy into what LRs system is all about. They were blocking extremely well for each other and for RBs. They also managed to get some guys that dropped passes to refocus and get back in the game. That's good because they're going to need all those guys next week. One year ago, OU's pass offense was essentially impotent without Shepard. It looks like they go about 7 deep with quality options now. That's coaching.

I don't know how anyone could watch and not be VERY excited about where OU is at in terms of RBs and TE. Those two positions will create mismatches against every team OU faces. When Perine, Mixon and Andrews are all in the game, it will be tough for ANY team to effectively cover all three.

I was really disappointed when Monty left but Reynolds had the DL looking the most fundamentally sound I've seen in since Tommie was in there. The guys didn't always make the play, but they were in the right gaps and sound in their assignments. If Diron turns out to be a great recruiter, he may end up being the best hire Stoops has ever made. There is a lot of talent and depth at DL. It would be great to see this unit return to being dominant as OL and DL is where chamoionships are won.

Likewise, the LBs were solid. In particular, Alexander and Bond really seemed to be playing fast. Alexander was all over the field and in position all night. If he could learn how to take a RB down rather than jumping on the back and riding an extra 3 yards that would be great, but at least he was making plays. I didn't specifically notice Evans make any plays, but he didn't bust big either.

Although the DBs were much improved tackling in space, getting physical with WRs etc., there were still busts that will hurt against a good team. I love the way Byrd hits when he arrives, but he seems to consistently be a step or two late. Same with Thomas. Both guys are an asset against the run and a liability against the pass. Sanchez is Sanchez. The guy makes 2-3 great plays and 2-3 inexplicably poor plays in every game. JT and several of the other youngsters look very promising. I hope and believe that at least one, perhaps 2, may be starting by UT.

Last And unfortunately least, the o-line was very inconsistent. This offense is predicated on at least the threat of a run. OU's OL cannot currently be counted on to generate a running game. Worse yet, Mayfield was flushed out too often. He needs at least a little time to go through the reads and get the ball out. That needs to be addressed. On the plus side, BB has demonstrated in the past that he can coach up. More than anywhere on the field, his guys are going to need to improve.

I still see OU as a 3-4 loss team due simply to a learning curve on offense and weakness in the secondary. However, I was very pleasantly surprised at the impact of the new coaches and players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.