ADVERTISEMENT

Impact of NIL on locker room chemistry/SOUL Mission

gabbo34

Sooner starter
Jan 5, 2014
FloMo
One of the unknown pieces of the NIL era is how money is going to change the locker room and dynamics between players and staff. There was a certain dynamic when players were on scholarship with a stipend, but for the most part typical college students without a lot of money and in the same boat. Now players are going to have money. Some of them are going to have significant money. And while there has always been under the table money in the sport (good friend played for Nebraska in the 80s and said there was a hierarchy/pecking order then) , this is going to be public knowledge and more players involved.

There are a lot of potential impacts. Grown adults would be impacted if salaries were common knowledge in their office. I wonder how kids will handle it. There is the potential for resentment to build in the locker room. If a highly paid NIL player isn't carrying their weight or they are getting outplayed by other rosters, it's a recipe for resentment. The depth chart is already a hot button topic, what happens when the perception is playing time related to NIL money is impacting it?

I fully believe a lot of the blowback Spencer received is that it's a lot easier to criticize a kid driving 2 new cars (even though it's a cheap cost for NIL) and sporting his own logo for merch. Fans aren't going to give the same grace as they would before.

I also wonder how it the SOUL group will handle it. I love the concept. Having guys that have been there who the players can use as a resource is a great idea. But those guys didn't have the NIL challenges to work with. They'll be trying to figure out how to adapt to it along with the players. And inside are they going to look at the players a little differently? They may have some kids making more than them. Do you have a slightly less sympathetic ear when they are talking about struggling to adjust or their personal challenges if you know they are on a big money NIL deal and are getting outworked by some kid making less? Sort of like how the assistant S&C coach working with a player at 5a and he's dogging it may look at a player differently if you know he's an 18 year old college kid making more money than he is.

Interesting times ahead. I think the NIL has the potential to cause major locker room roster issues. The staff that can best adapt to it are going to have a big advantage. The plus side is I think Brent's personality and truly caring about the players/program will be an advantage.

Last edited:
Gabbo's post may prove to be spot on. Nobody knows how the various NIL deals will impact lockerroom dynamics. How this money will impact kids commitment to the grind most great players must go thru is also unknown. But raising these questions makes a ton of sense.

Gonna be fascinating to watch if Texas A&M can buy a championship. Can Texas buy their way to more than 7 wins per year? I am skeptical but we will see.

I don’t see how there will not be transfers out after a year or two as they won’t all be able to get on the field. (Ewers & Ohio St)These kids jumped on board for the cash not the football. How stupid will they look after paying upfront and kids jumping ship to go get playing time somewhere else? Can’t take the money back. Boomer Sooner!

Reactions: Steven50616
One of the unknown pieces of the NIL era is how money is going to change the locker room and dynamics between players and staff. There was a certain dynamic when players were on scholarship with a stipend, but for the most part typical college students without a lot of money and in the same boat. Now players are going to have money. Some of them are going to have significant money. And while there has always been under the table money in the sport (good friend played for Nebraska in the 80s and said there was a hierarchy/pecking order then) , this is going to be public knowledge and more players involved.

There are a lot of potential impacts. Grown adults would be impacted if salaries were common knowledge in their office. I wonder how kids will handle it. There is the potential for resentment to build in the locker room. If a highly paid NIL player isn't carrying their weight or they are getting outplayed by other rosters, it's a recipe for resentment. The depth chart is already a hot button topic, what happens when the perception is playing time related to NIL money is impacting it?

I fully believe a lot of the blowback Spencer received is that it's a lot easier to criticize a kid driving 2 new cars (even though it's a cheap cost for NIL) and sporting his own logo for merch. Fans aren't going to give the same grace as they would before.

I also wonder how it the SOUL group will handle it. I love the concept. Having guys that have been there who the players can use as a resource is a great idea. But those guys didn't have the NIL challenges to work with. They'll be trying to figure out how to adapt to it along with the players. And inside are they going to look at the players a little differently? They may have some kids making more than them. Do you have a slightly less sympathetic ear when they are talking about struggling to adjust or their personal challenges if you know they are on a big money NIL deal and are getting outworked by some kid making less? Sort of like how the assistant S&C coach working with a player at 5a and he's dogging it may look at a player differently if you know he's an 18 year old college kid making more money than he is.

Interesting times ahead. I think the NIL has the potential to cause major locker room roster issues. The staff that can best adapt to it are going to have a big advantage. The plus side is I think Brent's personality and truly caring about the players/program will be an advantage.
My prediction is a&m will have major locker room issues over the next two years due to some of the reasons you listed. Can't imagine the older players are going to take too kindly to freshmen coming in with $1MM deals. Can't imagine many of those guys will be working hard.

Many of us played D2 or NAIA back in the day. Almost Everyone had a different scholarship and although minor issues I do not recall a lot of locker room issues.
But the frosh 3rd string running back wasn't getting paid 3 million to ride the pine either.

I can actually see NIL working to a roster's benefit if the position is rewarded over the player.

For example, everyone has the 50k baseline, but if you are a starting OL you are at 500k (divided over weekly checks for each game of the season). At that point, I believe it will breed healthy competition to be the starter and keep the position.

There will be massive issues.

The thing not mentioned in your post is that a handful of kids will make more money than their position coaches. At what point do they get an attitude of "why do I listen to you? I am move valuable to this school than you are."
A major sense of entitlement will grow in some, and a major sense of resentment will grow in others.

But the frosh 3rd string running back wasn't getting paid 3 million to ride the pine either.

I can actually see NIL working to a roster's benefit if the position is rewarded over the player.

For example, everyone has the 50k baseline, but if you are a starting OL you are at 500k (divided over weekly checks for each game of the season). At that point, I believe it will breed healthy competition to be the starter and keep the position.
Even this can hurt you. You are thinking of it as the reward that you chase. But this will have real world impact on those kids. They will make commitments with money, they will think they are getting paid all season, then you will just take their pay away from them. The kids that earn the money will love it, the ones that lose the money will be a cancer to the team. Don't think you can take away pay once it is offered from a practical stand point. I believe it is also against the rules.

I don't see players making different amounts of money as a big locker room issue. I work at an organization of about 5000 and everybody's salary is published, from the top on down. Every organization has varied incomes. I've seen it cause a rift or two here and there between an individual or two but haven't seen it cause problems throughout the organization as a whole. You will always have a few disgruntled folks but other than that I think the locker rooms will be fine as far as the do-re-mi is concerned.

Great post!

I’ll add, as others may have also mentioned, donors/boosters who have given big money in NIL deals may get a little upset when the coach decides to bench a 5 star player they are funding, in favor of of a 3 star. Will some of the big donors try to exert pressure in some way on a coach who isn’t playing one of ‘their players’? Also, will some players get upset because their on-field usage isn’t conducive to increasing their NIL potential?

Reactions: KCSooner83
If everyone on the team is getting 40/50k yr, I think it will help assuage the potential team chemistry issues that could arise from the advent of NIL in college athletics. It won't be perfect, but it's better than most of the team making zilch while the star QB sees six figures.

A majority would make the baseline amount and nothing else, a mid-tier of athletes would get small NIL deals that make them a little extra cash, and the most talented individuals would receive the lion-share of available NIL money. Every player would get "something", but are then free to pursue their own opportunities.

I think the challenge is no one knows how the structure of NIL will change in the years to come. We should expect some form of rules and regulations in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
There are a lot of potential impacts. Grown adults would be impacted if salaries were common knowledge in their office.
I would point out here that pay transparency is a good thing that increases equity in the workplace and that, say, a starting left guard knowing what the starting right guard is making will help the left guard know his own value.

They’re on the same team! If they don’t want what’s best for each other, that’s a more fundamental problem that is basically a precondition for the jealousy you’re fearing.

I try to be a glass half full guy so this could be a positive. You don't want or need anyone in your locker room that would cause issues over something like this. If the kid doesn't like it, get your ass in the gym and stop counting other people's money.

Reactions: doconnell8080
I try to be a glass half full guy so this could be a positive. You don't want or need anyone in your locker room that would cause issues over something like this. If the kid doesn't like it, get your ass in the gym and stop counting other people's money.
“If you’re upset, work harder. Go make a play. Try to stick your head through a MF chest and see what happens to your check, I promise they’ll only get bigger”

I wish with the NIL money with any individual deals 10% would go into a pool to be paid out to teammates. That way you would assure teammates are receiving "something" and the individual would still be keeping the great majority of what they sign their deal for.

• Haha
Reactions: Boom82 and TCNGUYEN
I wish with the NIL money with any individual deals 10% would go into a pool to be paid out to teammates. That way you would assure teammates are receiving "something" and the individual would still be keeping the great majority of what they sign their deal for.
rounders-edward-norton.gif

perhaps but the NIL switzer set up gives everyone a baseline, should appease a lot of these issues. the superstars will always get extra, as newsflash, that didnt start with NIL.

I think the main issues would arrive if there were some with none and some with a lot.

Many of us played D2 or NAIA back in the day. Almost Everyone had a different scholarship and although minor issues I do not recall a lot of locker room issues.
cant' speak to D2 or NAIA, but D1 baseball has this issue a LOT. 11.7 scholarships for 36 players creates a dynamic of a few with scholarships and some with none, and a workaround is promises of playing time and such. You'll see older guys leave a lot when a freshman comes in with PT promises even if they outplay them.

Reactions: cougarcoach57
This isn't necessarily new...it's just made more public now. Good news is that D1 Coaches are coaching for their job and the best players are going to play regardless of what they are making. So if you were that 3rd stringer with no NIL money and you are outperforming the 600K signee and become a starter over him then you have an opportunity to become a baller and market yourself to earn your own NIL money. Team morale gets a little boosted too when 4th stringers are making 50K per year to not get on the field on Saturdays. There will be some jealousy but there will also be some hungry guys wanting to make themselves some money too. It's like a pro playing for that second contract

I think you guys are clawing at air thinking kids getting different NIL deals is going to split locker rooms. The only real concern for me is whether or not kids getting large sums of money is going to affect their motivation and/or decision-making.

Remember when Chris Simms showed up in a limo for his first practice in Austin. I'm sure that endeared him to most of his new teammates.

Just wait till a backup is making more then a starter in NIL and the starter refuses to play
Yeah, some starter with NFL aspirations is going to mess with those chances. Not happening. Not saying it won’t piss them off but they aren’t sitting.

And coaches still have the trump card. If you act entitled and don’t work hard, you end up riding the bench. Then what? Transfer? Okay, now the NIL deal is void and you lost your money. The vast majority of kids aren’t getting big deals at their next stop if they couldn’t start and then transferred. Some big names like Ewers, sure, but not most.

If every player is getting decent money whether it's $40-50k per year or other, it solves a lot of potential issues. However, there will be some because right now NIL is a primary a speculative market for high school recruitment (and transfers but to a lesser extent if they have proven something at college level). Some hotshot QB is going to show up with multi-million deal that hasn't put in the work (yet). Depending on how that player acts, it may or may not be an issue. If he comes in and works hard and earns the job and uses that money to take out his OL or skill guys, etc. it can be a great thing. If he comes in expecting to be handed the job, acts like a primadonna and there is 'pressure' on the staff from the collective/money people to play the QB (or whatever position), it could be a major problem.

I strongly believe many NIL promises will fall flat. Collectives will use creative loopholes to get out of paying the player if they don't perform as expected. The player may get frustrated and blame the coaches or other players for not doing their jobs, etc.

I think it will cause issues at places with entitlement and coaches that cater too much to the elite players that are looking for biggest payday. There has to be a balance. Quinn Ewers may be really good. So far his decisions have been driven by NIL. That would be a red flag to me. Venables' approach might be perfect for OU going forward but there is a risk it has a ceiling vs. schools that will engage in bidding wars. We just have to see it play out.

Why does everyone just assume because some players will have more money that its going to kill chemistry? People will make more than you, arguably in some cases not deservedly so. That is life and college is about teaching life.

I'm going to say if Brent is really making character a focus, I think the locker room should be ok. I think it's when you have kids who are more focused on the "we" and less of the "me", you have less locker room issues. There will always be a disparity in pay between people of different talent levels. If you have a few kids who want to rub it in with other kids.....that's where you get into issues.

I really think Brent is trying to get in front of these types of problems and it's part of what is costing some early success in recruiting. He wants to SEE the kids in person and get to know them. I think he wants to ensure they are serious about the things he's serious about. We've had a pretty high number of 5 star busts around here. I think a large amount of it was evaluation.

I'm just going to say if AD came in and didn't have the work ethic he did.....he would not have been the same player. He was a hard working kid who strived to be better. Look at his dedication to the program also.... These are the kinds of five stars who can elevate your program. Not kids who are maxed out physically and think the program is lucky to have them.

My prediction is a&m will have major locker room issues over the next two years due to some of the reasons you listed. Can't imagine the older players are going to take too kindly to freshmen coming in with $1MM deals. Can't imagine many of those guys will be working hard.
This is spot on. If I were a senior who had grinded my ass off for 3 or 4 years and I had some freshmen rolling up in a Benz... Nope. I ain't riding with you. You haven't proved shit to me or the team.

Additionally, those 18 year olds getting those ridiculous checks... are they going to be ALL IN? Like I can understand Bijan rolling up in the 'Ghini. He is a leader and earned his stripes with the team.. spend that NIL cash man.

The issue is, it was the GRIND of being a D1 athlete and dreaming of the big pay day that made kids focus and be all in. What happens now when these kids are getting 1M first time NIL checks? You think they are going to grind when it's already being given to them?

Reactions: Jsquirrel82
Most/all of Georgia's team was on some sorta payroll, either when they signed/committed/whatever. And they just won a natty. Bama's QB Bryce Young was making over a million before he'd even taken a snap as a starter. I think we're overthinking how much an impact it will have.

I agree with a lot but some of these figures are exaggerated. There is a good article in the Athletic about A&M's main collective The Fund. Some of its members told the reporter the NIL figures for the recent recruiting class are much lower than reported - but the hype helps keep interest in A&M. Saban can throw all kinds of numbers out there without any providing any real support. But a guy like Bryce Young probably takes care of his OL and supporting cast. If that occurs, I think it's all good. Most of these guys understand there is a hierarchy in sports and will be if/when they get to the NFL.

I’ll never forget being separated from the rest of the guys on my recruiting trip when it was time to have meetings with the head coach. Found out later that they had a bigger scholarship than me 😂 I agree it was only a problem for a small group of guys

I think in time this NIL stuff will calm down to more reasonable levels.
For example, I cannot believe the imbeciles at Ohio State who threw NIL money at Ewers are thinking that was a good investment.
I don't care how rich you are - no one likes throwing money down a shithole.

I think some of it will normalize but the competition is part of it. Big donors want to win recruiting battles almost as much as games. It's speculative investing / gambling. Despite the odds, people still blow a lot of money at casinos, buy exotic cars they barely drive or boats they don't use but a few times a year. They spend it because they can and it derives some intrinsic value to them. The Athletic article compared it to the music business - they sign tens to 100 prospective talents to find one star. PE investing - the occasion hit makes up for the misses and then some - or so you hope.

IMO, there might be a slowdown in the deals for the 3-4 star level players after 2-3 years without some kind of guardrails. I think the stupid money speculation / gambling will continue for the 5 stars because of competition and prestige of such a limited group. The more I read about these the more I think the figures are aspirational at best. I see a lot of references for amounts "up to" which means it's probably a lot less.

I don't see players making different amounts of money as a big locker room issue. I work at an organization of about 5000 and everybody's salary is published, from the top on down. Every organization has varied incomes. I've seen it cause a rift or two here and there between an individual or two but haven't seen it cause problems throughout the organization as a whole. You will always have a few disgruntled folks but other than that I think the locker rooms will be fine as far as the do-re-mi is concerned.

The last company I worked for had some issues like this. Outside sales reps were on a seniority/pay scale of 1-5. Once you got to 3, it was pretty difficult to gain the promotion points from your KPI's to become a level 4. Had new reps starting at level 4 and shit hit the fan once the rest of the teams found out. Believe there were 5 or 6 people that left around the same time as a result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT