ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Boyd Comment

SoonersATW

Gold Member
Aug 13, 2024
I saw this comment from Ian Boyd posted elsewhere, but haven’t seen discussion of it here. I’m interested in others thoughts. He said:

“Seth Fisher of MgoBlog was noting that the SEC gave the easiest year one schedules out in a manner that would maximize playoff spots. They protected Texas, Tennessee, and Ole Miss, the three fledgling contenders. OU got the shaft.”

When I looked at OU and Florida’s schedules this year, they seem/are exponentially harder than TX and some others. I thought how much easier this year would go if we had TX’s schedule. But it never occurred to me it was done on purpose—ie, that OK (and arguably FL) would be the sacrificial lambs in order to bolster the likes of TX and Ol Miss—all orchestrated by the SEC. Seems a rather scummy thing for a conference to do.

And that has real repercussions on athletes’ health, ability of schools to fundraise and recruit, and coaching retention. And now there’s news they may be firing Billy Napier this week.

Anyhow, the thought that all this has been intentional on the part of the SEC leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. But it makes a lot of sense as to the huge discrepancy in difficulty of schedules.

Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: Ted The Dread
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.