ADVERTISEMENT

I was looking at the 2011 Rivals 100.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
And focusing on the players on the top 100 players from Texas. That's backwards. Looking at the players on the Top 100 national list from Texas high schools.

Lots of disappointment on draft day at the end of most of the careers.

There were 13 on the list.

National Rank ... Name
26 TOTAL 5 Stars
10. Malcolm Brown Longhorn. Not drafted.
12 . Trey Metoyer Sooner via juco sort of. Embarassment
14. Brandon Williams OU then trans to A&M Fifth year senior. Supplemental back. five td's. Less than 1000 combined career yards from scrimmage.

74 TOTAL 4 Stars in the TOP 100
31. Steve Edmond Longhorn Fifth year senior. Front seven defender with some highlights but mostly injuries.
49. Quandre Diggs Longhorn Sixth round draft pick DB
52. Jace Amaro Red Raider Great tight end. 49th player picked 2014 draft
61. Aaron Green Neb trans to TCU Back up running back, but might live up to potential. After Frank Catalon got hurt, had four 100 yard rushing games. Three were Kansas, Iowa State and Tech. But his best game was KState 18 for 171 and a score. He also had 114 yards from scrimmage against a really good Ole Miss defense in the Peach Bowl and had two touchdowns. Might end up the best of this year from Texas.
62. Jaxon Shipley Longhorn Not drafted. Free agent to Cardinals.
73. Herschell Sims OSU expelled. Lamar. Abilene Christian. Not drafted. Not even very good.
86. J.W. Walsh OSU Solid college quarterback. Likely not a senior starter.
95. Desmond Jackson Longhorn Becoming a quality player when injured in 2014 game 3. Lost the rest of the year and spring ball. Foot injury. Has a chance to be good if he heals.
100. Charles Jackson Nebraska Good backup mostly but hurt in 2014. Will be fifth year senior. Most stats are tackles on special teams.

BTW, every Longhorn player on the list played in either the UA or Army AA All Star game.

What was interesting to me, in addition to what you posted, was that our top three picks were from Kansas. When has that ever happened?

Reactions: Section22Sooner
You're right. I read it wrong; they had the picks listed alphabetically on the NFL site. Still, though, very unusual. I wonder how Justin McCay would have fared had he stayed at OU. He just disappeared at KU.

And where would this team have been without those guys from Kansas. I posted a trivia question about the last Oklahoma high school player who went to OU and ended up being drafted. It's a big part of OUr problem. The instate talent is coming up woefully short. And we're not going go be able to build a great team with only great players from elsewhere. Too many guys will stay in their home state.

And when you consider that there hasn't been a lot of greatness coming from Texas recently. If the state of Oklahoma doesn't fix its inhouse football issues, I fear some serious longterm ramifications in our program.

You're right. I read it wrong; they had the picks listed alphabetically on the NFL site. Still, though, very unusual. I wonder how Justin McCay would have fared had he stayed at OU. He just disappeared at KU.

Your points is still more than valid, just a minor detail flaw.

I was looking at last year's depth chart. The only three instate players who are likely to have a chance to be drafted are instate legacies. Shep and Evans are Sooner legacies. Parker is an OSU legacy.

Since the McCoy - Bradford - Grisham class, the state just hasn't produced elite talent at any position. And Bradford, of course, was also a Sooner legacy.

Since the McCoy - Bradford - Grisham class, the state just hasn't produced elite talent at any position. And Bradford, of course, was also a Sooner legacy.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many non-OU recruited Oklahoma kids were drafted or became UDFA's since 2009. Because I've always thought sometimes OU just doesn't recruit good Oklahoma kids well enough.

I think it's just the opposite. The state has begun to suck at producing talent. There is a thread about this on the premium board with a chart of how many players were drafted by each state where the draftees went to high school.

There was ONE player drafted yesterday from an Oklahoma high school. (third rounder) That is absurb. And I blame the way the state handles transfer rules. It wrecks football state wide. I also think it's an indication that at places where most of the kids are black, that they especially in OKC, that the kids aren't being coached well enough to be encouraged to be great at football. In a state with close to four million people, there ought to be more than one drafted kid in a whole year.

OU had six guys taken. Three from Kansas, three from Texas.

Historically, OU can win a national title when there is a strong element of Oklahoma talent on the Sooner roster. Now being drafted into the NFL isn't a perfect measure of talent. There have been a ton of players who were great players at OU, and specifically from Oklahoma high schools, who for various reasons made no dent at all in pro football. Bob Warmack, Jason White, Steve Davis. I could make a long list with some effort. Even longer if we included out of state players from OU.

But the state's level of talent isn't being encouraged to develop. And it hurts OU football. A lot.

Last edited:
You forgot Nate Boyer. He served his country as a army ranger. Then he walked on at Texas. Never played football before. He signed as a free agent with the sea hawks.Got to give him his props. He is
a deep snapper. He has been through a hell of a lot more than the 4 & 5*

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT