ADVERTISEMENT

I have no problem

That stupidity on the last scrimmage play of the first half, could still cost them the game. Cost them three points for pure stupidity. I see OUr players doing that occasionally. USC's defense has given one up one long TD in the second half, because they've loaded up the box, and dared ND to beat them deep. So far, they appeared to have only tried once. 31-20 with nine minutes left. Don't count Caleb out, especially when ND's defense gets tired.

The Domers just returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD, after USC's TD was set up by a long punt return. 38-20.

With the play of today, I think DG has moved up to two or three on the Heisman list.

reality has set in with USC Fans.
Lincoln will probably be coaching chicago with caleb william as his QB next year.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
There must be some concern over Riley’s coaching among the fans and media in LA.
And….Gabriel is 4th in the Heisman race, Venables is having highly rated recruiting classes since he first arrived, OU has a very good defense that keeps improving and the resolve and camaraderie of the team is very apparent.
As fans, we are all in agreement that Riley’s exit was the best thing to happen for OU’s football fortune.
Now the question is, where will Poach Riley flee to next and/or when will USC see that he’s an arena style coach?

I’m still pissed about Griffin getting the 2nd Heissman instead of Joe. Plaino was he robbed because of one of those ncaa rulings that had nothing to do with him from a previous ‘violation’ or not ?

Riley is soft, always has been always will be. His new hair plugs looked good tonight tho. 🤣
The plastic sergeons in Hollywood, have more experience in making a man less homely. Especially hair loss.

Somehow, I can't imagine TBOW with an all shaved head look. It would just make him look skinnier.

Last edited:
I’m still pissed about Griffin getting the 2nd Heissman instead of Joe. Plaino was he robbed because of one of those ncaa rulings that had nothing to do with him from a previous ‘violation’ or not ?
When you consider what Joe accomplished his junior and senior year at OU, on a team that lost one game in two years, there is a pretty good argument for that. You have to remember, in those days, you could only be on tv twice a year. So much of the Heisman stuff was based on hearsay and word of mouth dominated by eastern media. At that time, OU had had only two Heisman winners, and Steve Owens wasn't the flashy, made a big NFL impact guy for history, six years earlier.

The nine fumble game for the only loss in two years, didn't help. About the time many or most voters were making up their minds, we scored 3 points in the home loss to KU 23-3, who was 5-3 coming into the game. But there was a bias against OU. So much so, that the UPI decided to exclude any votes from a team on probation, but another team, ND I think, received votes, until it was pointed out to UPI that they were also on non-sanction probation. The exclusion was strictly about OU, period.

Barry was a very different kind of coach, especially for that time frame. He spoke his mind without embarrassment. When we got read to play a team we should beat by 50, he said that on his coaching show. I don't think any other coach spoke so brazenly. That didn't help the notion that OU was a renegade program, paying players and that the probation was deserving of all the punishment that could be handed out.

That couldn't help with voters. If the nation had seen what Joe did against Mizzou, which was spectacular. that wouldn't have been a Heisman moment, it would have been a Heisman statement game. Joe was smoke through a keyhole. His injuries kept him from being that in the NFL, but he still had his moments. And he had a long career. He played as a 5'10, 180 pound running back, nine NFL seasons. Six of them 15 or 16 games, another 13. An incredible athlete without great speed, but quickness like nobody else.

I remember his first or second varsity scrimmage, when we were getting our first look at the freshman. The recruiting info that we have now was non-existent. He was the left halfback and we ran the option right against a cornerback crash stunt by the defense. The block turned him loose, and the ball arrived on the pitch, a moment before before the cornerback.

Joe caught the pitch, with the defender flying at he torso. He immediately did this limbo move, stopping from full speed, letting the defended fly by, and then resuming for a long TD. Probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen on a football field. If you've ever been at a football practive, there was this collective ouhhhhh from everybody who saw it. Joe earned his opening game spot on the offense that day. Everybody kind of looked at each other with that knowing look, that we got something special here. I guarantee you, Archie Griffin couldn't do anything like that.

The end of the season, Joe Silvershoes was key when we came back from down 14-0 to beat Nebraska for the conference title 17-14. We were missing running backs. But Joe, and fellow freshman Tinker Owens helped us come back. That was the first year that freshmen were eligible to play on the varsity since WWII. He was amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT